Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 Feb 19, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile Short break uk

We want a cheap short break at Easter. We live up north so we’ve done Edinburgh / lakes / York / Harrogate a few times. So want somewhere new.

Could be city or country but not totally rural. We aren’t hikers we need a market town etc
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Chester

bit like York town wise not as olde worlde but nice and not to far from the NE about 3 hours drive ish
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
We did Warwick last year - nice town, great castle, close to Leamington and Stratford for towns with things to do. Also Cadbury world for a nice day with the kids.
Old 17 Feb 19, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Mobile

cross the border. Edinburgh and Glasgow have enough to keep people happy.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
adrian-sara
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

We just booked 3 nights in Oxford (14-17 April). We can nip into London one day and also do the Harry Potter trip, as well as looking round Oxford. £180 in the Premier Inn.
2010 Emerald Island villa; 2013 Indian Ridge villa; 2015 Indian Ridge DIBB villa; 2017 Indian Ridge DIBB villa; 2018 The Pillars, Ft Lauderdale, Hard Rock Hotel and Port Orleans Riverside; 2019 Sapphire Falls
adrian-sara is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

I looked at Harry Potter studios but it’s fully booked.

I think we are leaning towards Glasgow. But molly fancies London. Is it easy to get from oxford to London?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

We are just back today from 3 days in London, I had never been before. Not sure what you consider cheap but here is a rough idea of our costs.

Flights: Inverness to LGW £75 each. I don't know where you live, but I imagine closer to London than we do so your travel costs would likely be less than we paid.

Hotel: check Wowcher, Groupon etc. for deals. We got a hotel looking directly at Tower Bridge for £290 for 3 nights, which included breakfast. We thought less than £100 per night for London was good. This was the view from our room window

We only paid for 2 attractions, a total of £70 for us both. The rest of the time we just wandered and looked at free things. Food can be expensive, Wetherspoon restaurants appear to be around the cheapest. We had a fab time.

Regards Edinburgh and Glasgow, I have 2 daughters, one living in each of those cities. Personally I don't like Glasgow, although I'm sure there is plenty to do (free museums etc). Edinburgh on the other hand is lovely, lots to do around the old town and castle area.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I looked at Harry Potter studios but it’s fully booked.

I think we are leaning towards Glasgow. But molly fancies London. Is it easy to get from oxford to London?
Not sure if you would fancy it but National Holidays do the Harry Potter studios from town-we weren’t keen on the idea of bus trip really but had a great time! (Studio website was fully booked so it was either the bus or nothing, it worked out good value too)
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

We are in Newcastle so closer than Inverness but probably not much cheaper.
£290 isn’t bad for the hotel. But I know if we go to London they will want to go to a west end show and food adds up etc.

My original plan was a caravan for a couple of nights but of course once you start planning these things seem to take on a life of their own!
Old 18 Feb 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
adrian-sara
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

It takes about an hour on the train to get into London from Oxford, straight into Paddington.
2010 Emerald Island villa; 2013 Indian Ridge villa; 2015 Indian Ridge DIBB villa; 2017 Indian Ridge DIBB villa; 2018 The Pillars, Ft Lauderdale, Hard Rock Hotel and Port Orleans Riverside; 2019 Sapphire Falls

Edited at 10:54 AM.
adrian-sara is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List