Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Jun 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

The first of our open days this week for our son, (these are both specific open days for Medicine). We will be visiting Dundee on Friday and scooting up to Aberdeen on Saturday so staying overnight in a hotel.

Also have booked to visit Edinburgh University, Glasgow University and St Andrews later in the year
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wedinflorida View Post
He wants to study Theoretical Physics, though he did recently get selected for a chemistry taster day at the University of Sheffield and he really enjoyed that.
Hi,
Interesting! Another parent of a boy who is considering Theoretical Physics here! along with Medicine and also Astrophysics

Congrats on him being selected for the taster day! Our boy also enjoys Chemistry He is doing Advanced Higher (Scotland) Biology Physics and Chemistry as he loves all the sciences

Edited at 04:34 PM.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by bluedave View Post
I went to York too but when I visited with my daughter the rooms looked much the same as when I left in 1992 - she wasn’t overly impressed with them compared to halls in other unis. In fact my husbands old room was one of the ones open so was a real blast from the past. Was great being back on campus bring back many happy memories.
I also graduated in 1992. Small World!
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Hi,
Interesting! Another parent of a boy who is considering Theoretical Physics here!
I prefer the real physics rather than that made up stuff.

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
I also graduated in 1992. Small World!
I also graduated in 1992 (and also in 1991 and 1997).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Well we have just got back from a long day at Bristol University Open Day. DD really liked it. She is hoping to study vet med and we drove to the Langford Campus which is 14 miles from the main university. We went on a tour round there first. DD liked the fact that there is an actual vet practise there plus a really nice referral practise so they get loads of hands on experience which is all in house. For the first 3 years they spend a day a week there with a free shuttle bus then spend the last 2 years based there.

We caught the shuttle bus to the main University in Bristol and ended up with our own personal tour of the vet suite there where we saw all the facilities. We then had a look at the Orchard Heights accommodation which was lovely but £1500 more a year than the maintenance grant she would get so something to consider. The rooms were lovely and the whole block was new and the communal areas were great . Only about a 10 minute walk from where she would do her studying too (but a steep hill to get there- didn’t realise Bristol was so hilly!). If we can afford it would love her to stay there. We also saw Unite House which was nice but not as nice as the first place but about £1000 a year cheaper and some of the rooms are not en-suite. It’s a shame it was so rainy as we decided not to spend too much time looking round the city.

Overall she will use 1 of her 4 vet school applications for Bristol. It’s 90 minutes from home too.

Off to Liverpool next week. Just me and DD are going and we are going by train on the 6am one

Anyone else go to Bristol today?
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP

Edited at 09:09 AM.
ChoppyGirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Mobile

Dd went with dh to the main Bristol open day. She thought the speaker for pharmacology was very engaging, but was not that impressed with the place overall. The city has gone shabby lately. I guess the same everywhere, but think dd is better suited to a full campus rather than a city one.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Back from Royal Holloway open day. My daughter really loved it. The new library was impressive. It was too small and not near enough a decent urban centre for my liking (seems to take a long time to get into London given it is basically just about in London technically!) for me. But I’m not the one choosing. Great course I was impressed with that.
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
nickimiz
Imagineer

My DD is planning on doing animal therapy so have booked Oxford Brookes, whittle, Salford and warwickshire. We have no idea what to expect as my DS arranged everything himself and didn't even visit any uni's - just decided where he wanted to be and went !
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by nickimiz View Post
My DD is planning on doing animal therapy so have booked Oxford Brookes, whittle, Salford and warwickshire. We have no idea what to expect as my DS arranged everything himself and didn't even visit any uni's - just decided where he wanted to be and went !
Hi. Make sure your DD has downloaded the timetable they generally send in advance for the day so you can plan your route of attack. Most days seems to be from 9-10am and finish about 3. Yesterday we arrived an hour early at 9am and the first session started earlier than advertised then we were full on doing things until 3.45 (last lecture taster session overran). Without a plan you can run out of time especially to see all the Halls on offer. I am knackered after yesterday at Royal Holloway!
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

My other DD visited many, but she was looking at English not sciences. Exeter, Leicester and Birmingham were great for English, but do not run the course that DD16 wants to do. So, we have Bristol, Bath, Cardiff on the list - maybe Birmingham too.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List