Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 29 Jul 17, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
And please don't apologise for "bitty replies". They mean that I don't have to come up with segues, either!
Deal!

PS: I LOVE Charles Schulz. I (mostly) grew up in Saint Paul, so I can't help it - and am actually (at age 40+) the proud owner of Snoopy luggage - which I *think* you will get to see later in this report (yes, I've checked - it's in the shopping report) ...
Ooh, Snoopy luggage! I'm going to have to go and have a look... I've got loads of the older comic strip paperbacks as well as various bits and pieces! My most loved cuddly toy from childhood is a Snoopy. Charles Schultz had a knack for perceiving things simply, but deeply and illustrating it all with so few lines and words. Brilliant!

St Paul? I always think summer in that region looks fab (all those cycle paths and lakes), but winter looks a mite chilly!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

P.S.

It was really fun to spend so much time with my mother - we're doing it again this year for the Gymnastics Championships in Montreal. This time I managed to book the hotel in time - and we can all stay in the same building.

But even beyond the cheap transport, Boston was a great city to visit. It's so small and walkable, historic - and much more welcoming than New York (which shh...I don't really like). I think I always compare NY to London - whereas Boston is a completely different creature. I was sorry to miss Harvard - both DH and Poot were really taken with it.

Thank you for your kind words - Poot's reports begin tomorrow, and they are certainly memorable. He made a little book out of them to give to DH for Father's Day.
Great that you have another trip with your mother to look forward to. And I always think it keeps you closer if you have shared interests (like the skating/gymnastics etc.) ...Since you home-school, do you fine yourself if you take Poot away during term time?

And interesting that you're not so keen on NYC. I really liked it. I liked Toronto even more, though, perhaps because it seems more manageable, so, I'll look forward to exploring Boston some time. (I do like London, too, of course! Transport costs aside )

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
Ooh, Snoopy luggage! I'm going to have to go and have a look... I've got loads of the older comic strip paperbacks as well as various bits and pieces! My most loved cuddly toy from childhood is a Snoopy. Charles Schultz had a knack for perceiving things simply, but deeply and illustrating it all with so few lines and words. Brilliant!

St Paul? I always think summer in that region looks fab (all those cycle paths and lakes), but winter looks a mite chilly!
And after I bought the Snoopy weekender on this holiday - I bought more from (American) Amazon. It's at my mother's house right now - she's going to bring it to Montreal. Because, CLEARLY - at my age - ONE Snoopy weekender wasn't enough...

I also bought:

and a blue backpack (sorry, no picture!). Oops.

I agree with you about CS. He was a man you could perceive felt things deeply - and yet he had such a light touch. Subtlety is an underrated quality in comedy - as it is in most aspects of life. And I defy anyone with a heart not to cry at "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

Minnesota really is God's country. Four definite seasons - all of which have their own beauty. But I won't lie - I don't miss shovelling snow.

P.S.

Great that you have another trip with your mother to look forward to. And I always think it keeps you closer if you have shared interests (like the skating/gymnastics etc.) ...Since you home-school, do you fine yourself if you take Poot away during term time?

And interesting that you're not so keen on NYC. I really liked it. I liked Toronto even more, though, perhaps because it seems more manageable, so, I'll look forward to exploring Boston some time. (I do like London, too, of course! Transport costs aside )

Don't get me started on school fines! The very IDEA that the government thinks it can raise my kid better than I can! Grr!

We never intended to homeschool; our circumstances just sort of dictated it. It was either that - or boarding school. And I know some kids have the time of their life at boarding school (Harry Potter?) - but I can't imagine sending my only child away...

We all love sports in my family (of origin). I'm GRATEFUL that my mother wants to come to Montreal - if she didn't I'd be watching the "girly sports" on telly - as both DH and DS would sooner chew glass than watch figure skating (or gymnastics). I took DM to the Olympics in Turin back in 2006 - and before my D-Bro got married, we all used to do a "football trip" (the good kind, not soccer ) every autumn. It ensured we all saw each other at least once a year. But no more, because unlike MY hubby, D-Bro's wife is not cool with "travel sans spouses".

I've never been to Toronto - but I am keen to go and combine it with a visit to Niagara Falls. There are just TOO MANY places I want to visit - and not enough time (or MONEY) to visit them all - particularly considering the fact that I don't seem to be able to stay away from Florida (Sanibel just draws me back!).

Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments -
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

One Snoopy anything is never enough!

And I couldn't agree more about subtlety missing in comedy. I don't need them to YELL (and swear) the punchline several times! That detracts. For some reason I do find it funny, though, when people are authentically tickled by their own jokes. Who says you can't laugh at your own jokes?! I'll chuckle with you!

Also, definitely visit Toronto and that side of Niagara when you get the chance. If you prefer the size of Boston you might enjoy Toronto's size. I love the waterfront and the islands, there, too.

And, I'm always interested about what leads people to home school. I think it's great! And Poot is an excellent ad for it.

Old 30 Jul 17, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post

One Snoopy anything is never enough!

And I couldn't agree more about subtlety missing in comedy. I don't need them to YELL (and swear) the punchline several times! That detracts. For some reason I do find it funny, though, when people are authentically tickled by their own jokes. Who says you can't laugh at your own jokes?! I'll chuckle with you!

Also, definitely visit Toronto and that side of Niagara when you get the chance. If you prefer the size of Boston you might enjoy Toronto's size. I love the waterfront and the islands, there, too.

And, I'm always interested about what leads people to home school. I think it's great! And Poot is an excellent ad for it.

Aw, thanks. He's a good kid. It's been a great blessing to get to know him so well.

Your comment about comedy is well-timed. I watched Love Actually yesterday (I promised collybird and Sparksy72 that I would) - and while it had its moments - it was about as subtle as a brick (and SO SWEARY). And I felt manipulated rather than amused. Like the director was flashing APPLAUSE APPLAUSE APPLAUSE at me - rather than letting me decide for myself.

I have been known to overthink things, though.

Comedy's so subjective - it's got to be the hardest thing to write.

And Toronto has islands? Who knew? Not me, obviously.
Old 30 Jul 17, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I am not a fan either. I got so invested in the Emma Thompson / Alan Rickman storyline that the others just seemed fake and silly. And I bawled in the cinema because it felt like the film was saying long-term relationships are doomed!

I did like Rowan Atkinson though (apparently based on a Peter Jones partner - they have a reputation for being the campest in the John Lewis Partnership!)
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
I am not a fan either. I got so invested in the Emma Thompson / Alan Rickman storyline that the others just seemed fake and silly. And I bawled in the cinema because it felt like the film was saying long-term relationships are doomed!

I did like Rowan Atkinson though (apparently based on a Peter Jones partner - they have a reputation for being the campest in the John Lewis Partnership!)

I got so invested in the Emma Thompson / Alan Rickman storyline that the others just seemed fake and silly. And I bawled in the cinema because it felt like the film was saying long-term relationships are doomed!

THIS. EXACTLY. I also cried.

And too funny - I ALMOST put in that I liked Rowan Atkinson the best (the look he gave the Liam Neeson character - who had apparently gotten over the death of his wife in FIVE WEEKS (see above for the writer's view of long-term relationships)) - after the boarding pass business was PRICELESS. You how I feel about Rowan Atkinson...

Ooh - and one more thing that made me cross. Martine McCutcheon was "CHUBBY" in that movie? Really? THIS is chubby?

No wonder girls are in the state they're in!
Old 1 Aug 17, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Oh April, you'll just have to chalk 'Love Actually' down to experience.

I hadn't realised there was so much swearing (I don't like it either), but now I think of it, it seems to be a staple of British comedy.

I cry every time for Emma's character, you would never get over such a betrayal. I wish she had appeared in the Comic Relief 'sequel' this year so we knew how she was doing. Laura Linney's story always makes me cry too.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Oh April, you'll just have to chalk 'Love Actually' down to experience.

I hadn't realised there was so much swearing (I don't like it either), but now I think of it, it seems to be a staple of British comedy.

I cry every time for Emma's character, you would never get over such a betrayal. I wish she had appeared in the Comic Relief 'sequel' this year so we knew how she was doing. Laura Linney's story always makes me cry too.
I think swearing in films and books is a sign of insecurity in the writer. "Look at me - I'm edgy!" No, you're not.

But perhaps you are right...and that may say something about Britain's insecurity, no?

And maybe Emma's character was left out of the reunion because of Alan Rickman's death?

Regardless, I am going to try and wipe that movie from my brain - and remember Alan Rickman from his slightly (!) awkward performance as Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility instead.
Old 4 Aug 17, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

The Toronto islands are a lovely contrast to the city in the summer. They're car-free (and lovely to cycle round) -- they're park and recreation-based.

Comedy IS subjective, isn't it? I feel mixed about Love Actually. For me, it's a Christmas film and there are stories in it I like (like Colin Firth and his excellent French!) and some I don't (the Laura Linney story-line is very uncomfortable and I totally see your point about Emma and Alan). So, more of a drama with a few chuckles and some cringes, but not LOL.

I'm trying to think of a film that does make me laugh out loud... Definitely not things like Bridesmaids! They are trying way too hard, for me anyway.

Bringing Up Baby (Grant & Hepburn) is very witty - I love that, can't remember if it made me really laugh, though. I usually prefer the understated stuff (probably unpopular stuff! ), but I do like some silly as well. It's usually just bits of films, some Pink Panther, some Gene Wilder (with or without Richard Prior), some Hugh Grant, James Cordan's laugh, some old Happy Days and scenes from Friends.

Sooo, any comedy suggestions will be welcome, because I'm obviously lacking ideas a bit!

Like you, I don't like being told to laugh. Or what to watch! A TV announcer (I hate the "I'm your pal" approach of TV announcers, btw!) recently spoke over the end credits telling me I mustn't miss some programme about a child murderer (nothing to do with what had just been on) and I told her (quite strongly ) not to tell me what to watch.

Sorry, gone off track a bit there. I'll never get onto your other TR days at this rate!

P.S. I'm very tempted with a couple of Peanuts pencils cases on the John Lewis website.
johnlewis/peanuts-pencil-case/p2267440
johnlewis/vintage-pe...-case/p2267437

Edited at 06:44 PM.