Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Feb 19, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
HEMANCLOFTY
Dibbing with Tink

HEMANCLOFTY's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Huxwolds European Vacation - AKA Auf Wiedersehen Bab - Day 5 (Haribo Factory Shop)

Huxwolds European Vacation - AKA Auf Wiedersehen Bab (Oct 18)
Day 5 – Haribo Factory Shop, Bonn (Fri 2nd Nov)

The Index is here
Day 4 is here

Our theme park adventures for this trip were all done , and today was going to be a chill day. I set the alarm for 7:30am but allowed myself an extra half an hour and got up at 8am. Rich told me that he’d gotten up earlier and had been into town for a little walk.

I had a shower and got dressed and then woke up Tom.

It was drizzly again this morning...

We checked out at 9am, paying the €99 room rate (we weren’t charged the €5 parking fee), loaded up the car and walked into the city to get some breakfast.

Rich had spotted a nice little baker called Back Coffee, so that’s where we headed, and we all chose muffins – Milka for me and Tom and Nutella for Rich. I had a Mochaccino and the boys shared a Coke (€12ish) – they were lovely…

Whilst we were eating, we looked online for a hotel near the airport for tonight and booked the Hotel Leonardo (approx. €90) – we were definitively winging it this trip .

We spent a few hours mooching around the town centre…

I always find the Disney, wherever we go...

We went into a homeware store called Depot – they had some fabulous Christmas decorations…

I was hoping to get a Pickle ornament, as I always liked them when we visit EPCOT, but I could find one here (or in any of the Christmas displays we’d seen in the various shops we’d visited on this trip). I did pick out a few bits though (total €25)…

We also got a gold pineapple ornament for Mom (approx. €6)…

Tom bought himself a hoody from H&M (€19.99).

We took more pics of the town…

These made me chuckle

The museum...

Because we’d enjoyed our breakfast so much, we headed back to Black Coffee for an early lunch at 11:30am...

Rich had a bagel and a chicken sandwich, I had cheese pastry (which I thought was a sausage roll) and Tom had some nuggets and pizza (I had some of the pizza). We got a Coke to share (approx. €12.50)…

It was all really nice. Rich especially enjoyed his chicken sandwich, so we bought another 2 plus a cookie for Tom to have at the hotel later (€5.50ish).

We’d had a lovely morning in Gelsenkirchen, but it was time to head back to the hotel to pick up the car - popping into a shop for 3 Cokes on the way (€5.40). I quickly popped into the hotel to use the loo and we were on our way to Bonn by 12:30pm.

It was another straightforward drive and we arrived at the Haribo Factory Store just before 2pm…

The store was brill – we were in Haribo heaven

We spent about 40-minutes mooching around the store and bought a selection of sweets and merchandise (approx. €35)…

I wish I’d bought more of these, as they were soooo good when I had a cold a few weeks later…

After, we walked over to Lidl, where we bought some pop, tortillas and a pretzel for later plus a bottle of Currywurst sauce to take home (€5.80ish)…

We drove back towards Cologne, arriving at the Hotel Leonardo at the airport at 3:15pm – the lobby looked really nice, however when we tried to check in, it turned out that we’d booked the other Leonardo hotel, which was 15-minutes away, on the outskirts of Cologne.

It was another nice hotel…

It even had a kettle, so I could make myself a cuppa (my first one since Wednesday morning)

We chilled out in the room for a bit, eating our snacky bits from Black Coffee and Lidl at about 5:30pm…

The chicken sandwich was nice, but my mouth was a bit sore (I suffer with mouth ulcers) so I ended up giving half to Rich and had my pretzel instead, with a cup of coffee (saving the last teabag for tomorrow morning).

At around 7:30pm, me and Rich popped for a mooch down street (Tom was tired so stayed in the room) – We had a quick look around one small supermarket, then popped into Rewe for some evening snacks - turkey, cheese and some soft bread rolls, plus some chocolate brioche for breakfast tomorrow (€6ish). On the way out, I remembered that we hadn’t bought anything for Lacey, the little girl who lives next door to Aunty Wynn and helps to look after our Gunnea Pig Walt, so we popped back in for some Haribo & a bar of Milka (€1.65)…

This left us with €25 from our spends .

As we were walking through the hotel lobby, we spotted some free cake, so I grabbed a piece.

I sorted the packing, shuffling things around to balance out the weight of our jeans, mugs and Haribo haul, and at about 8:30pm we had our bed picnic – the soft cheese spread was much better for my sore mouth .

We all had showers, as we had an early start in the morning (3:30am) and we settled down at about 9:30pm, falling asleep straight away .

Our step count for today was 13,297

Day 6 (Coming Home) is here...

Edited at 01:02 PM.
HEMANCLOFTY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List