Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Mar 19, 06:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I had a similar experience in 2010. We had a little extra money left us by a relative, so paid for PE coming home as a treat. We much preferred Econ for several reasons.

We are two Pooh-sized people. In Econ we got a row of two seats, lifted the arm rest and were reasonably comfortable. Yes, the headphone jack was awkward, but we could angle ourselves to make it work, because there was more space between us.

Coming back in PE, the armrest was fixed so it actually felt as if there was less room in the seats than Econ. My Buddha belly was squished up, so the tray (which came out of the armrest and was hinged in the middle) just sat on it like a little roof! I could not use it at all. Instead I put the tray on the blanket box under the window, and lifted up each thing separately to eat or drink it.

I’m sure the food was nicer, but the embarrassment and awkwardness spoiled it for me.

As for the IFE, in those days the remote was actually fixed in the inside of the armrest. I don’t think this is still the case. It was awful, it dug into my leg and if I wanted to change channel or volume I had to do complicated gymnastics to reach it.

On every plane since, we sit in Econ in a row of two and are fine.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
I had a similar experience in 2010. We had a little extra money left us by a relative, so paid for PE coming home as a treat. We much preferred Econ for several reasons.

We are two Pooh-sized people. In Econ we got a row of two seats, lifted the arm rest and were reasonably comfortable. Yes, the headphone jack was awkward, but we could angle ourselves to make it work, because there was more space between us.

Coming back in PE, the armrest was fixed so it actually felt as if there was less room in the seats than Econ. My Buddha belly was squished up, so the tray (which came out of the armrest and was hinged in the middle) just sat on it like a little roof! I could not use it at all. Instead I put the tray on the blanket box under the window, and lifted up each thing separately to eat or drink it.

I’m sure the food was nicer, but the embarrassment and awkwardness spoiled it for me.

As for the IFE, in those days the remote was actually fixed in the inside of the armrest. I don’t think this is still the case. It was awful, it dug into my leg and if I wanted to change channel or volume I had to do complicated gymnastics to reach it.

Gill, your explanation did make me chuckle I know VA refurbed their 747's since 2010, so the seat may have changed. I'm hippy, and whilst snug I'm comfy in a PE seat. Part of my prob with economy was a shorter seat cushion which meant my knees were constantly trying to make friends with the floor and pulling hard on my back. With PE's foot rest and longer cushion, that abuts the back of the knee, I'm ding dong in PE.

Thank you for the laugh
Old 26 Mar 19, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

FYI don’t fly BA then for the head phone jack is in the side of the seat there too... I know cause I mullered the jack on my new headphones in 2014!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post

In some ways Gill you are lucky! If you found the cheaper experience better then its not a choice you would have to consider in the future! Save money and be more comfortable, what's not to like.
Old 26 Mar 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Gill I don't know what PE was like pre 2010 but those of us broader in the beam can tell you there's still very little wriggle room shall we say?

Edited at 12:47 PM.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
What a shame, after using your points.
We really like the PE, but we do prefer the downstairs dedicated cabin rather than the bubble. We find the food / drinks (and proper plates/cutlery etc) better, and the movable head and footrests make the flight far more comfortable.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
goldendelicious
Proud to wear my Ears

DH thinks the seatbelts have got smaller over the years (nowt to do with his waistline) Ha Ha
goldendelicious is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 02:21 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Gill I don't know what PE was like pre 2010 but those of us broader in the beam can tell you there's still very little wriggle room shall we say?
Sue, whilst I'm very broad of beam, 21" of PE width makes for a good seat for me, I remember doing a bottom wiggle the first time we sat in PE (with back brace on making me more bulky), didn't expect it to be so much more comfy than economy. Biggest plus is being able to walk off the aircraft vs crawl