Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Mar 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
ufm
VIP Dibber

ufm's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
:) Save some money on a train journey

Hi all, I just thought i would share my experience of organizing the transport to the airport this time. I have always taken my car, filled it to the brim and parked it. For this luxury in the past its been £80 to park plus the fuel there and back. This time i have an extra challenge as we have too many people for one car. So I decided to look into the train situation. These are my findings;

For a train running from Swansea to Gatwick for 6 people ( 4 adults and 2 children ) it was coming it at around £136 one way which in the balance is the same as taking a car ( space is better but there is one change which is a pain ).

So I got myself a 'friends and family traincard' which is usually £30 but I used tesco clubcard to get one for £10 worth of vouchers; effectively free i think as i've already paid.

This added into the price brings the price for one way to £86 for the six of us! Job done

Hope this helps someone else
2012 Going DIY for a try :-) Trip Report
2010 Indian Creek Villa - Trip Report
2008/Enclave Suites 2007/Ramada IDrive
ufm is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

But that is only 1 way , how much return.
Have you also accounted for the cost of getting from home to the station, or do you live in walking distance.
for us the railcard would take a £60 (2a 1C) down to £35 , so the railcard cost for us is about break even. The problem is I can drive to the airport in under an hour , taking the train takes 2 hours.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
squibbon
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

I spoke to someone today who was looking at booking rail tickets but they were coming out too expensive to be practical for him.
Somebody suggested checking prices during the night so at 1am ish he booked the same tickets at a fraction of the cost, I think both tickets for half the earlier price of one.
Don't know if there is anything in it, but worth a try*

*but don't blame me if you end up tired and the tickets are no cheaper!
squibbon is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

We have two cards, disabled rail card for myself and a 16-25 for my son (wife is second person on either card.
Looking at Leamington to Heathrow last November, the prices were high, however, booked leamington to narylebone and then Marylebone to Heathrow with tfl rail, the price was £93 return for all three if us.

Looking at Gatwick, I can get three tix leamington to Marylebone (with all areas tube) for £30 then Gatwick express for £51.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

We have a F&F card from last year, and it halved our rail cost.
Our holiday this time was £400 cheaper from Gatwick, so looking at £150ish for rail costs and still a great saving. (I think we worked out that parking wouldn’t be far off, for 16 days)
We also enjoyed the train journey, books, tablets, sandwiches and three happy kids, especially seen as eldest suffers from car sickness.
NY and Boston July 2020

Edited at 11:40 PM.
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
We have a Two Together card, costs £30 and well worth it.

The thing with train tickets is to book at the right time when they are cheapest.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
Also, as noted above, split ticketing can reduce the cost, by booking tickets for dashboard of the journey as separate tickets. Even though you may well continue to be sat on the same train.
You can Google sites to help you plan and book this way. I found out because one journey, the guy in the seat opposite me had a whole bundle of tickets when they checked tickets. He explained he'd got the journey for about half price doing this.

WDW POR 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2016 and 2018
Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
ufm
VIP Dibber

ufm's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by shack69 View Post
But that is only 1 way , how much return.
Have you also accounted for the cost of getting from home to the station, or do you live in walking distance.
for us the railcard would take a £60 (2a 1C) down to £35 , so the railcard cost for us is about break even. The problem is I can drive to the airport in under an hour , taking the train takes 2 hours.
Its cheaper to do it in two lots of tickets rather than a return and yes the train station is a factor but family are taking us to and picking us up from the train station. Driving for us is 4hours minimum
ufm is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
ufm
VIP Dibber

ufm's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Its also worth noting that the prices on trainline at least are cheaper when its about 12 weeks away from the journey you want and go back up if you book when its really close!