Notices

Old 8 Nov 18, 04:32 AM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

... and Then There Were 3, Orlando Feb 2019 - Pre-Trippie

* Update 8th November

Having started this trip report in a fit of enthusiasm it's been somewhat neglected recently. Not because I'm not still excitedly planning but because it's mainly a tale of things that we've decided against rather than ones that we've booked!

I was intending to pre-book airport transfers, as we've always done in the past, however, after getting several online quotes we've decided that booking an Uber when we arrive will be significantly cheaper. I must confess to being slightly nervous about this! I like knowing that our transport will be ready and waiting for us after a long flight and despite having downloaded the Uber app months ago I've never actually used it even at home. However I've been reassured by fellow Dibbers that it's easy enough to get one from MCO, so hopefully we'll have no problems. According to the Uber fare estimator the journey should cost approx $24.

We also usually order Lynx bus passes before we go but have decided that Uber / Lyft make getting a taxi to WDW affordable and will save a lot of time so we're not bothering this time. Instead I've ordered the above I-Ride 14 day passes which I'm sure we'll still get plenty of use out of around I-Drive. They were from ATD and cost £12 each.

ADR day has come and gone and although I initially booked for BoG, Yak & Yeti and T-Rex I've now cancelled all but BoG. I really can't decide whether DH and DD will prefer to eat at Yak & Yeti or Rainforest Cafe on our AK day, there's no point in asking them as DH thinks it's ridiculous trying to decide where you want to eat 6 months in advance! As we have the Landry's Card we really don't need an ADR anyway so will just decide what we fancy on the day.

Similarly with T-Rex we can use the Landry's Card if we decide to go but I'm beginning to think that we would we better off arranging a late check out at the hotel and spending our final day on I-Drive rather than spending the whole day at Disney Springs.

I have ordered a second Landry's Card in DH's name having learned that it's possible to split the bill and use the discount on 2 cards for the same meal. Of course he also has a holiday birthday!

I toyed with the idea of making a 1 night throw away onsite booking in the hope that it would help us to secure fast passes for the most popular rides but this was quickly discounted after realising that there was little more chance of getting a FP for FoP at 60 days than there is at 30. As we don't have a car the free parking benefits aren't relevant to us and collecting the magic bands would be a pain.

I've also been considering upgrading our Discovery Cove day to the Elite package. I like the idea of having the photo package paid for in advance and think that DH would enjoy the cabana as he isn't doing the Dolphin swim. However, it's already an expensive day and as DH isn't swimming I'm sure he could take some photos for us. The jury's still out on this one - we'll probably wait and see how much money we have after Christmas.

Another addition that's still under consideration is a dessert party to view the fireworks at MK. We did this in 2012 and although we enjoyed it, when Disney doubled the price we agreed that it wasn't worth the extra and said we'd never do it again. However, DH has trouble with his knees and finds standing still for long periods a problem (strangely enough walking isn't an issue) so having somewhere to sit and view the fireworks would help immensely. Again, we'll make a final decision nearer the time.

So that's the story of what we're (probably) NOT doing! In the meantime the saving towards our holiday spending is going well. I've ordered a Revolut card, having used FairFX previously, because the exchange rate is better and have been changing $200 at a time every time the rate pokes its nose above $1.30. Oh, for the days when we got $2 to £1! We also have a sealed tin on the go where we're saving any spare money at the end of each week, this will be changed for $$ just before we go.

That's about it so far, not really anything to do with the holiday but this weekend I'm off to London for a few day with DD18, D-i-l and D-i-l's sister to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. We've been desperately trying to get tickets for this right from when it first opened. I finally managed to book them in December last year and gave them to the girls for Christmas so we've been waiting for ages to see it. Hopefully might find some nice HP or Disney bits while we're there!

*Update 11th Nov

Well, we're back from London. We had an amazing time and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was everything that we could've hoped for. If anyone is interested in reading the details of our trip I've posted a mini trip report on here.

The holiday clothes shopping was a spectacular fail - I didn't find a single thing! However, while I was away, this vest top turned up which I'd ordered for myself online the previous week when the Disney store had 10% off and free p+p.

*Updated 29th November

Thanks to a kind Dibber who posted about ATD's Black Friday deal on combined Orlando Eye, Sea-Life & Madame Tussaud's tickets we have now added these to our itinerary. The deal was £16 per person for all 3 attractions and seeing as we've done none of them before it seemed too good to ignore. The plan (provisionally!) is to use these on our last day. So instead of heading for Disney Springs check in on the final morning we will leave the luggage at the hotel and spend the day on I-Drive before heading to the airport. I'm looking forward to this as we have a late flight home and usually feel like we waste the last day hanging around waiting to go.

Ive finally managed to make a start on the holiday clothes shopping. I recently found this Harry Potter t-shirt for Chloe in Matalan.

Then, yesterday, DD Nicola and I made a trip to Peterborough. She had to go there to take some exams as part of her training course for work, so, whilst she was busy I killed some time shopping (as you do!) and found this one in Primark.

... and, just so as not to leave Mickey out, this one! All of a sudden Chloe's holiday wardrobe is starting to come together nicely.

I also bought these in Primark to put away for Christmas stocking fillers.

I've been very busy on Groupon and have picked up vouchers for a round of mini golf as well as a few money off deals for meals in the I-Drive area.

Finally for now, again thanks to a heads up from a Dibber, I've ordered a $25 gift card for The Cheesecake Factory. Which on Black Friday came with vouchers for 2 free slices of cheesecake; to be used between 1/1/19 and 31/3/19 - so perfect timing for us. I can't wait to try this place as I've heard so much about it but never been and how can you go wrong with free cheesecake?

Edited at 09:29 AM.
ally1966 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

It’s so difficult being the planner sometimes, although I’d never change it. It sounds like you’ve got a lot covered. Enjoy London and The Cursed Child.
Old 11 Nov 18, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
It’s so difficult being the planner sometimes, although I’d never change it. It sounds like you’ve got a lot covered. Enjoy London and The Cursed Child.
Thanks, we're back from London now and it was absolutely amazing!
Old 29 Nov 18, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by ally1966 - 29 Nov 18 7:07 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

... and Then There Were 3, Orlando Feb 2019 - Pre-Trippie

*Update 14th Feb

Since my previous update our FP booking days have been and gone. As expected, staying off site we were unable to get FPs for FoP, 7 Dwarves Mine Train or Slinky Dog at 30 days. At the time of writing this is still the case despite trying to modify our selections multiple time per day ever since they were booked☹️.

We are now down to our final week before the holiday and after very little activity on the planning front for the last couple of months - mainly down to illness, work and Christmas - reality is beginning to sink in that time is rapidly running out to get things organised!

Due to having to cover other peoples' holidays at work I don't have another full day off before we leave for the airport... eeek... this really is going to be tight - but the extra cash will mean more holiday spends!

After work yesterday I managed a visit to the hairdressers for my pre-holiday cut and highlights. Also nipped to Primark where I found some Disney socks for Chloe and me (above) and had a browse round The Works where I picked up some more reading material for the flight; a book about Alfred the Great. We've recently watched Vikings which made me realise how little I know about this period of History. I already had the Tattooist of Auschwitz which I've been saving for ages for the holiday so should now have plenty to keep me occupied. Just need to sort out some activities for Chloe so she'll give me enough peace on the plane to read them!

Pre-Trippie Final Update here:- https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1117141

Edited at 03:05 AM.
ally1966 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 01:49 AM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

... and Then There Were 3, Orlando Feb 2019 - Pre-Trippie Final Update 20th Feb

*Update 20th Feb

I should be ridiculously excited by now but must confess that at the moment I'm more nervous than anything else. It's 12.30 and I can't sleep!

Yesterday, I made a final trip to town to get my nails done and stock up on the essential holiday toiletries.

The last few days have flown by. In between working I seem to have done a ridiculous amount of washing and ironing - mainly for DD Nicola and DS Dan who are staying at home - we are taking mostly Summer clothes with us (I hope this isn't wishful thinking!) which aren't currently in use so these have gone straight from the wardrobe to the cases. Talking of which, the cases are finally packed, although I'm sure that they will be re-packed in the morning and there are still bound to be things that I've forgotten!

We've said our goodbyes to our 2 oldest sons, Stuart and Ian, and their families and delivered our beautiful little dog, Summer, to Ian's house where she's spending her holiday.

So this is it... 6 years of planning and tomorrow night we'll be at the Premier Inn waiting for our flight. It's now nearly 1 a.m. and I really should try to get some sleep but there are a million and one things running through my mind. I'm sure going on holiday shouldn't be this stressful!

Oh well, that's it for the pre-trippie, I'm going to try to keep the trip report more or less live so I'll be back soon...

Pre-Travel Day is here:- https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1117264

Edited at 11:55 AM.
Old 20 Feb 19, 02:01 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by ally1966 - 20 Feb 19 1:01 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List