Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Mar 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Jammy31
Apprentice Imagineer

Jammy31's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 24
Guidebook Reviews: 4
Question New York & Wrestlemania 35

Hello All!

This is going to be my first ever trip to New York, and it is to go and watch Wrestlemania 35.

I have taken a few days off before so that I can take in some more of New York than the Wrestlemania schedule will allow.

Please can I have your hints and tips on some of the following, plus any extras that you may think I will need to know?

1. Airport transfer to hotel - Which is the best/cheapest/easiest? Our hotel is in Times Square, and so I can't imagine it being too cheap to get to!

2. Places to eat - Where are some places that I must try whilst I am out there?

3. Place to see - The obvious ones like Empire State, Central Park etc are already on the list. Are there any hidden gems that you've found?

4. Ice Hockey - As a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, it pains me that my first NHL game will not involve them. But seeing the Rangers will be just as good an experience. Any ideas on how much concessions are in Madison Square Gardens?

5. Best places to shop - Our main hotel for the trip is right opposite the huge Disney Store in Times Square (Lucky pick! I promise! ) Where are some of the best places to shop? Any good souvenir stores for me to grab something for family and friends?

Sorry for so many questions! I've only just realised I have 2 weeks to go, and haven't really looked too deeply into anything! All the important stuff is done however!

Jammy31 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mjic4
Getting Excited

I'm going to follow along... my Son and new daughter in law are heading to New York on honeymoon.The reason for New York- Wrestlemania.
Old 23 Mar 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

Sigh. We’re going too. Hubby’s 40th. It’s worth checking out getting to the MetLife stadium as it doesn’t look the easiest, and also the restrictions on taking things in - clear plastic bag only, which may restrict my ability to bring a big book to read through the 7 hours or however long it is.
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 19, 01:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Beddy666
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jammy31 View Post
Hello All!

This is going to be my first ever trip to New York, and it is to go and watch Wrestlemania 35.

I have taken a few days off before so that I can take in some more of New York than the Wrestlemania schedule will allow.

Please can I have your hints and tips on some of the following, plus any extras that you may think I will need to know?

1. Airport transfer to hotel - Which is the best/cheapest/easiest? Our hotel is in Times Square, and so I can't imagine it being too cheap to get to!

2. Places to eat - Where are some places that I must try whilst I am out there?

3. Place to see - The obvious ones like Empire State, Central Park etc are already on the list. Are there any hidden gems that you've found?

4. Ice Hockey - As a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, it pains me that my first NHL game will not involve them. But seeing the Rangers will be just as good an experience. Any ideas on how much concessions are in Madison Square Gardens?

5. Best places to shop - Our main hotel for the trip is right opposite the huge Disney Store in Times Square (Lucky pick! I promise! ) Where are some of the best places to shop? Any good souvenir stores for me to grab something for family and friends?

Sorry for so many questions! I've only just realised I have 2 weeks to go, and haven't really looked too deeply into anything! All the important stuff is done however!
Regards to the hockey it’s usually close to $200 a seat I found. Basketball is slightly cheaper.
I wanted to do a hockey game last year whilst there I couldn’t justify it when I pay £50 a game at arsenal fc so much more for hockey etc.

Regards to eating out so many places to just try, obviously have to do the basics like pretzels and hot dogs from street vendors.

Again anywhere in Manhattan for shopping, you’ve got OMG shops for cheap jeans etc, you’ve got plenty of souvenir shops along lower 5th Avenue all sell pretty much same stuff. There’s a great Best Buy on 5th as well great for electronics.

Just enjoy it! Love the Wendy’s opposite MSG also
Beddy666 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 19, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
gemma-lou
Imagineer

gemma-lou's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
We are going in what will be 2 weeks Wednesday, not for wrestle mania. It’s for my 40th. The cheapest and The most economical is to take the same JFK AirTrain to Jamaica and get the E train (the subway) right to 42nd Street / 8th Avenue. If you're planning to use an unlimited ride MetroCard, you'd simply pay the $5.00 for the JFK Airtrain then $29 for 7 day metrocard and use it on the subway. The most convenient way is a yellow cab or Uber, this is about $60 each way plus tip and toll. This was our method of transport until we took a visit to London (I’m from uk) and used the subway everywhere and loved it. So easy to get around so will be doing this when in NY.
Hope you have a great time
2008 - enclave suite - 2010 All Star Sport - 2017 Avanti Resort - 2018 Royal pacific and miami - 2022 Polynesian and Royal Pacific - - February 2024 family trip to Universal Dockside - November 2024 Universal Aventura & CSR DisneyWorld
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/signaturepics/sigpic28388_47.gif
gemma-lou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Jammy31
Apprentice Imagineer

Jammy31's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 24
Guidebook Reviews: 4
Thank you all for your helpful tips!

Great to see that there are others going (and some against their will ) It will be great to see other people's experiences!

I probably won't do a Pre-Trippy (work, work and more work!), but will hopefully do a full report when I get back.

I will link it in this thread if so!

Thank you again!

Jammy31 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ontwofronts
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by mrsmickey View Post
Sigh. We’re going too. Hubby’s 40th. It’s worth checking out getting to the MetLife stadium as it doesn’t look the easiest, and also the restrictions on taking things in - clear plastic bag only, which may restrict my ability to bring a big book to read through the 7 hours or however long it is.
Have you worked out how to get to MetLife from Manhattan?
ontwofronts is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 19, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ontwofronts View Post
Have you worked out how to get to MetLife from Manhattan?
We went to WM29 at MetLife and it was easy to get there from Manhattan. We bought our tickets in advance but you didn’t need to, there are direct trains from Penn Station - njtransit/sf/sf_servl...=MeadowlandsTo

MetLife Stadium are used to getting big crowds in and out of the city for the football games and it was really well organised for WM29.

Have a great time everyone
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 19, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I’d also suggest taking several layers of clothing and a waterproof jacket. I’m sure WM29 started off warm and sunny and, as WM is approximately 32 hours long we saw the temperature drop as the night went on and a bit of rain.

I took some Berocca tablets last year too. I’ll have to admit that by Smackdown I was shattered and may have had a little nap during the 205 taping!
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Sallyjackzero
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

With regards to the hockey, we saw a game at MSG last month (Rangers vs Wild). Like you, we aren’t Rangers fans so we were cheering on Wild. The tickets were really expensive, and the atmosphere was really flat. We have season tickets to an EIHL hockey team in the UK and we all said that the atmosphere at our games are so much better. Nobody singing or dancing at the Rangers game (except for us!) and hardly any fights or penalties.

That said, the game itself was interesting to watch and the right team won (Wild).

We also went to watch a Knicks game and that was slightly cheaper. The atmosphere at the basketball was much better, I think if I had to choose in future I would go to the NBA rather than the NHL.

Just a thought but can you get to an Islanders game instead? We weighed up doing that but in the end we wanted to see Madison Square Gardens. You’ve probably already checked but maybe Pens are playing there when you visit?

Either way, hope you have a fantastic time!

2001 - Quality Inn Plaza, International Drive
2002 - Travelodge, American Way
2009 & 2011 - Renaissance Orlando
2015 - Disney Beach Club Resort
Sallyjackzero is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List