Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Mar 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hiya RR - I can't use UC [hard] lie flat seats due to back issues, but plenty of other people do. If you like/need a softer mattress you may find the lie flat seat hard going. We reverted to PE as we prefer that seat.
Thanks, I like a firm mattress, soft is no good for me so I guess we'll be ok, I do like the pe seats but like the look of the extra room to move around in UC, not tried it yet though .
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 02:18 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
Thanks, I like a firm mattress, soft is no good for me so I guess we'll be ok, I do like the pe seats but like the look of the extra room to move around in UC, not tried it yet though .
Apart from loo trips/stretching legs we sat in our seats, which, like PE, are comfy. 2015/2016 UC was superb, but our 2016/2017 [post cut backs] MCO to Man was disappointing, food was the worst encountered in any cabin class - all who had the shoe sole steak returned for alternatives, absolutely nothing left for our dinner. Hubs seared tuna was still frozen and also returned (he had cheese and biscuits, I was given a tasty leaf and tomato salad from PE), the crew lass put a dessert to one side for me and somebody nicked it Crew lass offered me her meal, absolutely not I told her, she needed the energy.
Old 21 Mar 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
They are about as comfortable as any of the seats on Virgin to be honest. They are deffo better just reclined rather than laying flat though.
I'm the other away around - I prefer laying flat.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkJ
Imagineer

Its always worth a stroll around the V-Flyer forum where regular Virgin flyers post reviews, comment and reports.

I think recently UC food has been really good and I always sleep on the UC bed with no problem. Yes of course its not a squishy mattress but the newer seats are more padded when flat than they used to be (so not the 747's ) and if you are o a flight in UC that isn't full then go grab another mattress and duvet set and then its "really" comfy when you lie on 2 mattresses and a duvet

Ultimately the best way to see if you like it is to try it
MarkJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
I hope that means extra preflight fizz
We eventually took off 3 hours late and they wouldn’t serve more alcohol for some reason to do with HMRC. Served us Coke, crisps and Twirls as part of their duty to keep us watered and fed. They were extremely apologetic, the captain addressed us personally and these things happen. Landed about 2 hours 40 mins late.

So pleased that we had upgraded as was comfortable throughout the 12 hours plus we were onboard.

Edited at 12:29 PM.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
I can’t sleep unless flat and have done Virgin UC on three previous occasions, overnight so I can sleep.
I genuinely don’t get the comments about the beds being hard? Perhaps I just like a firm mattress - in any case, the cabins are always so overheated for me, I always lie on top of my duvet, which would provide extra padding if needed.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
We eventually took off 3 hours late and they wouldn’t serve more alcohol for some reason to do with HMRC. Served us Coke, crisps and Twirls as part of their duty to keep us watered and fed. They were extremely apologetic, the captain addressed us personally and these things happen. Landed about 2 hours 40 mins late.

So pleased that we had upgraded as was comfortable throughout the 12 hours plus we were onboard.
Hmmm not so fun then
Old 21 Mar 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I can’t sleep unless flat and have done Virgin UC on three previous occasions, overnight so I can sleep.
I genuinely don’t get the comments about the beds being hard? Perhaps I just like a firm mattress - in any case, the cabins are always so overheated for me, I always lie on top of my duvet, which would provide extra padding if needed.
Sue, that's OK that you 'genuinely don't get the comments about the beds being hard', and whilst I appreciate you don't, I don't question your choice, we're all different. I gave it a try, I lay on the mattress and quilt, unfortunately due to back issues I couldn't lay flat. That should address your questioning why some find UC lie flat too hard.
Old 21 Mar 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkJ
Imagineer

Steaaaaaaaaady...
MarkJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SteveC View Post

BTW discussed last night with a friend and know the reason! They are only permitted to open a certain number of bottles on the ground and would have opened all of these so therefore couldn't open any more without having to pay additional tax - assuming HMRC found out