Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Mar 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

I think people should be able to choose a name and not be ridiculed for it, but in reality people ARE going to make comments and I think it’s obvious what is unusual and going to get that kind of attention so if it’s unwanted attention then it’s something that needs to be considered.

I work in a school and occasionally register kids I don’t know and pronouncing names can be a nightmare. It’s a guarantee if there’s an Alicia and I pronounce it Alyssia then it’s gonna be pronounced Aleesha, and that I’ll definitely forget which is right the week after.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
She doesn't deserve any abuse at all, but unfortunately if you call your child 'Disney' then the poor daughter will likely suffer ridicule because sadly that's the world we live in.
She Disney deserve abuse

Old 21 Mar 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

I actually quite like it , and not for the obvious connection, just because it's a nice word
And that's coming from someone who enjoys the theme parks but doesn't really do the films , and someone who normally hates wacky names
There are many worse names out there , often more commonly used
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Celebrities pick some bizarre names for their kids, look a good few years back at what Paula Yates and Bob Geldof names their children, gwyneth paltrow I think has a child called apple, Bear Grylls' kids have the funniest names Marmaduke and Huckleberry 😁... I think I will have to Google now bet theres some belters 😉😉😉
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gabsnoot View Post
...My DH works with a girl who’s nickname is Disney because when she is asked to do something she disnae* (*doesn’t...for those that don’t speak with a Scottish accent )

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
I work in a school and occasionally register kids I don’t know and pronouncing names can be a nightmare. It’s a guarantee if there’s an Alicia and I pronounce it Alyssia then it’s gonna be pronounced Aleesha, and that I’ll definitely forget which is right the week after.
I used to know a Karen who insisted it was pronounced Kaaaren. I feel like after the 1000th time I was called Karen I'd just give in and have the common pronunciation lol.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 19, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I've taught so many children with unusual names that most don't surprise me any more. They quickly become 'normal' for people who know them. What really gets me is those fairly common names but people "choose" to spell then in a different way.
Old 22 Mar 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Isn’t there a rocker out there who named his kid Moon Unit? Disney is absolutely pedestrian compared to that.

Edited at 09:58 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

It’s not the worst I have heard but I am not a fan of calling babies unconventional names. There was a Tinkerbell and a Moonfairy (sisters) at an after school club my kids went to many years ago. Might be all cutesy as a small baby or child but is going to sound a bit ridiculous when that person is 30 something and trying to get taken seriously in the workplace. I know it’s just a name and shouldn’t have any bearing on how well that person can fulfill a role but in the real world people do judge.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mrs_O View Post
Isn’t there a rocker out there who named his kid Moon Unit? Disney is absolutely pedestrian compared to that. names...
Frank Zappa I think and wasn't his other kid called Dweezil !

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List