Notices

Old 22 Mar 17, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
There's just too much to see isn't there. After so many trips to Florida you've seen all you really want to see and it's nice to just chill and do what you want. When you know you might not be back somewhere for years if ever you want to cram in everything! Looking forward to the mountains so will try and give you an update upon our return.
I have come to the conclusion both Gettysburg and Philly may not be possible so I think Gettysburg may have to wait this time as I think the Philly Cheesesteak in Philly is high on the guys agendas!

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 17, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by BarrettFamily View Post
In Washington use the circulator bus to do the monuments. It is a normal bus not tourist one and is so much cheaper
Ah good tip! Thanks will check it out as we are on a tight timescale in Washington so that might help to get round everything.

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 17, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Hiya

I'm very keen to hear your plans as we are doing similar places next year - although ive ended up planning two trips as I couldn't squeeze everything in to one! Lol!

So our current plan is - one week over May half term to Toronto and Niagara. Then 19 nights in August - 3 nights NY, train to Boston (2 nts), collect hire car & drive to Stowe (3 nts), Bangor ME (1 nt), Prince Edward Island (4 nts), Nova Scotia (1 nt), cat ferry back to Maine & drive down to Cape Cod (5 nts) - fly home from Boston.

Ive been really torn about whether I should of included the White Mountains, and have read lots of great things on here about North Conway, so I am keen to hear about your trip when you get back!

We have recently returned from 5 nights in Washington DC, we actually hired a car for the day to visit Gettysburg. We had thought we would also visit Hershey whilst we were relatively near by, but Gettysburg is such an awesome place, that we needed a lot longer there than we anticipated. I suspect you might be being a bit ambitious trying to get in and out of Philly AND fitting in Gettysburg en route to DC. Philadelphia is terrific, so it's a tough choice, but to avoid disappointment, I would suggest being sure in your mind as to which place is your priority, just so that if you run out of time to fit in both, you won't be missing out on your no 1 thing!.

Oh and I can thoroughly recommend a visit to Arlington cemetery in DC as well as Georgetown for great restaurants and quaint shops - our fav meal was Sunday brunch at Farmers Fishers Bakers - but it's very popular with locals so you would need to book
Yes looking forward to Georgetown!

Old 2 Aug 17, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
*update* TWO Countries and ELEVEN states (at least)

Bit of a long update so please bear with me!

So it's all seeming a bit nearer now. Can't say we're going next month but can say we're going the month after next! After booking the flights a year ago believe me that feels good.

Anyway after booking all our hotels

Nesva NY

Holiday Inn Roslyn Bridge Washington

Homewood Suites DuBois

Embassy Suites Niagara Falls

Ramada Cornwall - nice pool

Green Granite Inn North Conway

Finally Element Seaport Boston

car hire, insurance etc etc I've been looking out for Groupon deals and booking in attractions.

So far I have booked;
Trolley Tour of Boston

Haunted Tour of Boston for Halloween night

SOL Crown tickets although DH suffers from some vertigo issues and isn't sure he will be able to make it so it may be just me and the boys up all those stairs

Tour of the US Capitol
9/11 Tribute Museum
Couple of restaurant deals

Still to book
Maid of the Mist/Hornblower cruise for Niagara

Bike tour of the Washington monuments. Think this will be the most fun/quickest way to see them all for us.

Think I'm going to get the Explorer pass for 3 attractions which will be the ESB, The Ride and possible TOR but not sure we want to do another tall building view if we've the Crown and ESB? So would need another option.

Bike hire for Central Park for a couple of hours. Don't want a tour but want to use bikes to get us around so we can see more of the park on the Sunday that I've planned in for this.

Also debating about booking a cruise in the 1000 islands on our road trip up through the Canadian side of the St Lawrence. Looks beautiful but they are limited at the end of October and I'm wondering if that is due to the weather!

I think I'm going to have to have as much flexibility as possible for this trip so wary about booking lots of expensive outdoor activities if the weather is poor. I'm obviously reasonably optimistic that October will still be ok and I'm not bothered as much by cold as just lots of rain

So that's it for this one hoping to have a definite NY itinerary when I update again as I do like a plan!

I have found this holiday more of a struggle than any before to get my head round and decide what we are going to do. It's a lovely thing to have to struggle about though
There's been some tough choices about what we can and can't manage and we have a lot packed into our 16 days.

Itinerary thoughts
I'd like to decide what to do on the day we land. Due to land in NY about 1pm. Realistically probably get to the hotel to drop bags by 4? Current thinking is just to head into Manhattan for a meal and do something but by then will be getting dark so thinking maybe just Times Sq and a wander round the shops in the vicinity. Head back to hotel for an early morning start and SOL follwed by full day, evening out and about route tbc.

Final thoughts
How many Starbucks or other mugs can I accumulate on this trip? Very envious of Debidee!

Yankee Candle stores need to be plotted

Bath & Bodyworks too

Also need to remember luggage allowance!
Till next time...

Old 3 Aug 17, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
debidee
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Looking forward to reading along! You will certainly be able to pick up a few mugs with that plan :-))
I'm sure you already have but just incase sign up to bath body works and Yankee before you travel for deals! And I'd recommend Maggianos for dinner when you are in Boston - you can book online and always canx if you change your mind xxx
debidee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 17, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Update 3 weeks to go

So checking in again after a bit of a break. Been a busy summer and I’ve had lots of lovely little breaks and things on with this being my ‘special birthday’ year, any excuse!
It is also 2 of my sons’ birthdays before we go, a friends 50th party and my own pre birthday birthday party the weekend before we leave so with work thrown in I’ll be lucky if I have time to pack.
Although still need to decide what to pack. Weather is good atm but very aware 3 weeks could make a massive change.

However on the planning front things feels a lot more organised. I used Inspirock to plan things out and that has been a lifesaver. I was really struggling wondering if I could fit in things or not and that has helped me get things in order and work out timings.

Now done
I’ve finally done my Estas - all fine
Rebooked my car hire saving over £100
Rebooked 2 hotels saving a few quid here and there
Booked NY Explorer pass
Booked Hornblower cruise at Niagara

To do
Still need to get my dollars
Book Washington bike ride but as I’ve tried to get a Whitehouse Tour I’m hanging on keeping everything 🤞 for that before I arrange the bikes.
All nearly there now just some restaurant research to do and some shopping bits to sort

The countdown is now really starting to come down

Old 3 Oct 17, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by debidee View Post
Looking forward to reading along! You will certainly be able to pick up a few mugs with that plan :-))
I'm sure you already have but just incase sign up to bath body works and Yankee before you travel for deals! And I'd recommend Maggianos for dinner when you are in Boston - you can book online and always canx if you change your mind xxx
Thanks debidee yes everything signed up to. Frustrating amount of BBW sales atm that I can’t take advantage of 😢. My YC collection is dwindling and needs restocking urgently. Maggianos menu looks good as do reviews so have booked and hoping we get there on a packed itinerary thanks for the tip! X

Old 5 Oct 17, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Latest update 5th October 2 weeks to go

Sooo excited just had our email confirmation we have got a tour of the White House! Been checking my emails for the past week or 2 and was getting less and less hopeful but we got in!
Two weeks to go and that’s going to fly we have so much on in between.
Suitcases are coming out this weekend and I’m going to start putting clothes aside to take. We have a clear weekend which we need to take full advantage of as partying all next weekend with birthday celebrations before we go. Birthdays ending in zeroes not all bad

Old 6 Oct 17, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Jesslydevie1
Very Serious Dibber

Wow this sounds an awesome trip ,I can’t wait for your report especially niagra falls and Boston , have a fabulous time.
Old 18 Oct 17, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Twiga6
Imagineer

This trip sounds amazing! Can I ask, in your first post you put a photo up of your route, cani ask what app you used to do that? We're planning a road trip in 2019 and it would be nice to plot it out so we can get an idea of journey times etc.
Can't wait to read your trip report