Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 11 Nov 18, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Big Summer Blowout: Norwegian Fjord Cruise 2018 Day 3 - Copenhagen

Index

Tuesday 28th August 2018

Today we were at our first port of call, Copenhagen in Denmark. We had an excursion planned so were up early-ish at around 7:45am - the ship hadn’t actually docked yet.

As per usual, we had room service booked, which arrived about 10 minutes after we awoke; we’d ordered coffee, fruit, and milk for Isabella.

Room service

Jo and I had our coffee in bed, and due to our proximity to land were able to get some phone reception in order to check out what was happening in the outside world.

After a couple of coffees each, Jo had some fruit, and then had a quick shower.

The ship began docking, so we we woke Isabella up - docking was noisy due to our room location, which was directly above the deck one gangway.

Isabella had some milk and then we all got ready, getting out of the room by 9am and heading up to Cabanas for breakfast.

Welcome to Denmark courtesy of Hector the onboard magician!

It was busy again and we sat outside, fortunately it wasn’t wet and windy like the previous two days.

As usual, breakfast was delicious. As we were sat out on deck and Celebrity Cruise ship came in to dock, it was huge, but as one little girl quite rightly pointed out “It doesn’t have a slide, it doesn’t look fun!”

Cabanas breakfast

Breakfast view

Please don't

Boring Celebrity Cruise ship

Breakfast was finished by about 9:20am, so off we went back to the room to get ready for today’s activity - we off on our excursion entitled ‘Wonderful Copenhagen’.

We were due to be at the Walt Disney Theatre at 9:45am. We got ready quickly and arrived dead on time. We collected our excursion group number badges outside the theatre then headed in, just as our group was heading out; we literally walked in one door, across the theatre, and out the other door!

As we exited we spotted wdw-wanderer sitting waiting for her group to be called, we exchanged a wave as we left the theatre and followed our group out of the theatre.

We didn't even sit down!

Our group was led down to deck one and then off of the boat to a waiting coach. We boarded the coach, and by 10am we were on our way. Our tour guide was a Danish lady named Pia, and our driver was a Greek man named George.

See you soon

Coach selfies

Miniature Battersea Power Station

First stop was to the Little Mermaid statue, only about 15 minutes drive away. On the way Pia told us lots of interesting stuff about the statue, and Copenhagen in general. The area around the cruise port was undergoing lots of construction as they were extending the metro system out there and building lots of new apartments.

Arriving at Langeline - the waterfront area where the statue was - we parked up and we were led off the coach to the statue. Coaches are only allowed to park up for 15 minutes, so our visit to the statue would be brief. The statue itself is surprisingly small and not particularly impressive. But at least we can say we’ve seen it. After getting a few photos, it was back on the coach for the next leg of the tour. The weather was nice in Copenhagen today - mild and bright - a nice day for a tour of the city.

The Little Mermaid

Pia told us that the centre of Copenhagen was particularly busy today as French President Macron was visiting the Danish royal family today so lots of streets had been closed and there were a lot of people out to see him; his visit was a really big deal to the Danes as the Queen’s late husband, Prince Henrik, was a Frenchman.

We made a quick stop so that people could use the toilets - we didn’t - and then we were back en route to Amalienborg Palace - the home of the royal family.

At about 11am the coach parked up outside the Marble Church (aka Frederik’s Church) and we made the short walk down Frederiksgade (Danish trivia: aside from the current queen, every monarch of Denmark for the last 500 years has been called either Frederick or Christian) to the Amalienborg Palace Square - we had to go through a security check which isn’t usually the case apparently.

Marble Church

The square is actually an octagon with four identical palaces facing one another and a statue of one of the Frederick’s in the centre. Due to the state visit the square was busy and the Queen’s Guard were out around the square - reminiscent of our own Queen’s Guard in London, complete with bearskin hats and red jackets.

We stayed in the square for about 15 minutes before returning to the coach, and then set off for a drive through the city. Copenhagen is a lovely looking city, and Pia was a very informative and interesting guide.

Amalienborg

Queen's guard

Edited at 10:43 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

At about 12:15pm we’d driven through the city, passing Tivoli Gardens on the way, to the Christianshavn area which houses Freetown Christiania, and the island of Holmen where the Copenhagen Opera House sits directly across the water from Amalienborg, and directly in line with the Marble Church. It was completed in 2004 and paid for by Arnold Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller the former CEO & Chairman of Danish company Maersk, who died aged 98 in 2012.

Statue of one of the many King Fredericks

Tivoli Gardens

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek Art Musem

Christiania

Copenhagen Opera House

Sear Selfie

We had 10 minutes off of the coach to stretch our legs, and as we’d bought Danish pastries (what else?!) from Cabanas with us, we decided it would be a good time to eat them.

Back on board the coach, it was now time to head back to the boat. The original itinerary for this tour had included a couple of additional stops, but due to the road closures and traffic the tour guide had improvised. We had enjoyed it, so we had no complaints. Copenhagen looked like a lovely city though, and I’d definitely like to go back and visit one day.

Some guests had decided they wanted to spend some time looking around, so the coach dropped them off in the city centre and Pia gave them instructions about how to get back to the boat via the Disney shuttles that were running until late afternoon.

Some more of the sights of Copenhagen

Man in a suit riding a bike with an iMac in a bag in the front

Back 'home'

By 1:15pm we had arrived back at the ship - it’s fun to go off and explore new places, but always nice to get back to the Disney Magic

Back on board, we made a quick stop at the room then headed straight up to Cabana’s for lunch, followed by an ice cream for Isabella and Jo.

Cabanas lunch

Ice cream

There was an animation class in the Promenade Lounge starting soon, so we got ourselves a coffee and headed down there. As we were early, there was a craft activity still going on which Isabella decided to get involved in, making herself a door hanger.

For the animation class we drew Goofy. I can’t say it was the best animation class we’ve done - the crew member wasn’t actually that good at drawing, and being in the Promenade lounge, when previously it’s been held in Animator’s Palate, wasn’t a great setting.

After our attempts at drawing Goofy, Isabella wanted to go in the club for a bit, so we dropped her off and then I did my notes back in the room.

Goofys

Whilst looking out of our porthole Jo spied jellyfish, which was unexpected!

Jellyfish

At about 4:15pm we decided to pop up on deck to get ourselves a cocktail of the day from the Signals bar. Today’s drink was the Double Crown - Crown Royal Whiskey, Chambord Raspberry Liqueur, Cointreau, and Cranberry Juice.

Signals

We spent 20 minutes chilling out at the bar with a drink, before it was time to go and get Isabella so that we could start getting ready for dinner - tonight we were in Animator’s Palate.

Back in the room, I finished catching up with my notes, while Jo and Isabella opened some more FE gifts, and Jo and I had a glass of wine before we all began getting ready for dinner.

Writing in one of her FE gifts

More FE gifts

Cheers

New hair?

We gave Isabella a bath so she wouldn’t need one tonight, and by 6pm we were making the short trip up two flights of stairs to Animator’s Palate - our room was so convenient for the restaurants.

We got to our table and were soon ordering our food. Tonight we were having the following:

Me: Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes (Pasta Purses filled with Truffle-scented Cheese and coated with a delicate Champagne Sauce) / Ginger-Teriyaki dusted Angus Beef Tenderloin (Served with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes, Bok Choy and a Tamarind-Barbecue Reduction) / White Chocolate Fudge Cheesecake (With Whipped Cream and Raspberry Coulis)

Pasta Purseittes

Angus Beef Tenderloin

White Chocolate Fudge Cheesecake

Jo: Jarlsberg Cheese and Carrot Soufflé (With Watercress Salad and Apple Compote) / Pennette Bolognese (Pennette Pasta mixed with a rich Bolognese Sauce, Garnished with shaved Parmesan-Reggiano and Toasted Garlic Ciabatta) / Cookies ‘n Cream Sundae (Cookies & Cream Ice Cream with Chocolate Sauce and Chocolate Chip Cookies)

Soufflé

Pennette Bolognese

Cookies ‘n Cream Sundae

Isabella: Crusty Cheese Pizza (With fresh Vegetables and Steak Fries) / White Chocolate Cheesecake (With Strawberry Sauce)

Pizza

White Chocolate Cheesecake

Throughout dinner the outlines of of various Disney characters were slowly being drawn on the screens around the restaurant. As we began dessert, they came to life in full colour, and we saw a montage featuring all our favourite Disney and Pixar films played around the room, as Sorcerer Mickey entered followed by all the servers now wearing colourful waistcoats, where before they’d been dressed in black and white.

Edited at 10:45 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Animator's Palate

Sorceror Mickey

Unfortunately for our table mates, they’d decided to leave dinner early to ensure they got seats for the Tangled show and missed all the fun!

After the show, we made a quick exit too as we also wanted to watch Tangled: the Musical in the Walt Disney Theatre. We made it in good time, and got ourselves decent seats.

We really enjoyed our dinner at Animator’s Palate tonight, and we were glad that we didn’t miss the show on the screens; our table was in a really good place so that we could see it, and as you’d expect from Disney it’s an enjoyable montage.

Ready for Tangled

The Tangled show was great, better than when we’d seen it on the last cruise, when it had been shown as part of its soft launch. The only downside was the large Spanish speaking family with four kids spread over two rows (next to and in front of us - there were actually other seats that they could’ve sat in where they could all have been together); the kids didn’t seem that engaged and couldn’t sit still - I did wonder afterwards whether they could actually understand it as they didn’t seem to speak English and there’s no Spanish subtitles in the stage shows!

Once the show was over, Jo took Isabella back to the room while I went for coffee. Isabella went straight to bed, and while I got my notes up to date Jo read her book.

Swans

Isabella got a gift in fish extender

After showering, we went to sleep at about 11pm.

Another fun day on the cruise. We really enjoyed seeing Copenhagen, and dinner and the show back on board this evening were excellent.

Tomorrow we’ll be in Norway. TFR
Old 12 Nov 18, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Copenhagen is a great place to visit - we went last December for a weekend. I agree about the Little Mermaid statue - it’s a little underwhelming - mind you we only saw her backside 😳 as we were on a canal boat tour!

You definitely got a lot of fish extender gifts on this trip.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 18, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another great day!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I'm loving your trippies - just the right amount of words, photos and funnies!

I'm now trying to spot my parents in the background of your photos - no joy so far.

Joa
Old 17 Nov 18, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
A great day - Copenhagen is a great city. We’d like to revisit it one day.

Really like the look of Animator’s Pallette.

Thanks for sharing

Edited at 08:24 AM.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Copenhagen is a great place to visit - we went last December for a weekend. I agree about the Little Mermaid statue - it’s a little underwhelming - mind you we only saw her backside 😳 as we were on a canal boat tour!

You definitely got a lot of fish extender gifts on this trip.
Would you say that a weekend enough time in Copenhagen?

We were very lucky with our gifts.

TFR

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
Another great day!
Thank you

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
I'm loving your trippies - just the right amount of words, photos and funnies!

I'm now trying to spot my parents in the background of your photos - no joy so far.

Joa
Thank you for your lovely comment

TFR

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
A great day - Copenhagen is a great city. We’d like to revisit it one day.

Really like the look of Animator’s Pallette.

Thanks for sharing
Yes, we definitely need to see Copenhagen in more detail.

You'll go on a Disney cruise one day, I'm sure of it!

TFR
Old 22 Nov 18, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stewboy View Post
Would you say that a weekend enough time in Copenhagen?

We were very lucky with our gifts.

TFR
Yes, we went on an early morning Friday flight and came back on an evening flight on the Sunday and had enough time to do the main things we wanted to do plus have a wander around the Xmas market stalls. I’d like to go again and include going on the train across the bridge to Sweden.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 18, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Lovely read.
I visited Copenhagen in my early 20’s for the afternoon once.
I only remember the Hard Rock Cafe 😳
Maybe a revisit is needed!

@adeandlisadodisney

All of my Trip Reports...Here!
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List