VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

We go to the theatre a lot, drama, ballet and opera! We have tickets for a concert version of Bernstein’s Candide at the Barbican next Saturday and Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake at Sadlers Wells just after Christmas. We recently saw a version of Guys and Dolls at the Albert Hall too. We also love the cinema showings of theatre productions; the last one was Alan Bennet’s Alleluia. We’ve also seen Hamlet, Follies and Othello this way too. It is a really good, relatively cheap way to see live theatre.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
We live in London and go as often as we can. Unfortunately half our salary goes on rent (before you take into account bills, food and travel, as well as our expensive elderly kitty!) so we can't go as often as we would like.

However, we belong to a theatre club that gets unsold seats at short notice, so we have seen a lot of smaller shows for £5 each at the last minute.

Just booked for Company for my birthday later this month, and Bat Out Of Hell for our usual Boxing Day treat - the centre of London is pretty much empty on Boxing Day and we've had some real bargains. Those four tickets cost us less than £100 in total!
The price of tickets and travel means we don’t go to London theatres. Your theatre club sounds great, exciting to get last minute tickets as it’s such a surprise too, plus the bonus of only paying £5 😀

Going to the theatre on Boxing Day sounds a lovely treat. We are going to Cardiff on the 29th to see Matilda as we usually go just after Xmas too
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MissB87 View Post
Yes!

Live about 1hr 20 from a tube stop so London is generally a go to, ticket prices are starting to get a bit eye watering of late.

Booked for next year is Come From Away (pressie for mum and best friend)
Betrayal (Tom Hiddleston... was a must to see him on stage for friend and I)

Will be looking to get Dear Evan Hanson tickets and really want to see Hamilton again with the second London cast!

Also want to see cursed child again, the staging and magic is wonderful!

(Can you tell musicals are my thing haha!)

I think the theatre live screenings are fantastic, a great way for theatre to be a bit more accessible!
Can’t wait to see Hamilton, tried to avoid listening to the soundtrack as we want to experience it at the theatre first. It’s just so expensive to get to London to see it.

Definitely would love to see Betrayal too, so would DD as she loves Tom Hiddleston
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Went to see rock of ages does that count?
Only bit if theatre I’ve seen for a long long time. Went last week and before that when I was pregnant with my first.
Last week was good.
First one was better 4.5yrs ago. Dunno if that’s coz my little one was having a party in my tummy the whole time.
Loved that night. Dunno why but it’s a night I remember very fondly
Any theatre trip you enjoyed makes you a theatre fan 😀 Did you see Rock of Ages both times? Although it’s good , there are hundreds of great shows, maybe try another one but careful as it becomes addictive 😀
Old 5 Dec 18, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
We go to the theatre a lot, drama, ballet and opera! We have tickets for a concert version of Bernstein’s Candide at the Barbican next Saturday and Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake at Sadlers Wells just after Christmas. We recently saw a version of Guys and Dolls at the Albert Hall too. We also love the cinema showings of theatre productions; the last one was Alan Bennet’s Alleluia. We’ve also seen Hamlet, Follies and Othello this way too. It is a really good, relatively cheap way to see live theatre.
We haven’t been to an opera, would love to one day though. We have seen a few ballets in a small theatre in Newport mainly by the Welsh Ballet Company. We have seen ballets ofSleeping Beauty, Romeo and Juliet and a ballet version of Roald Dahl’s Revolting Rhymes.

The live screenings at cinemas are excellent value, and hopefully may encourage more people to visit the theatre and try new things
Old 5 Dec 18, 01:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I love going to see a show and I went through a phase of going down to London once a month for training and I’d go to see a show in the evening. It might sound strange but I was happy to go on my own as the alternative was to stay in my room or go shopping. I would generally buy the cheapest ticket for the show from lastminute.com and as I was a solo traveller I would get a ticket really close to try front when I collected the ticket from the box office.

We’re in London at the weekend and I’ve been checking for Hamilton returns. I’m not paying £200pp so I’ll try my luck with the lottery!
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
MissB87
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Can’t wait to see Hamilton, tried to avoid listening to the soundtrack as we want to experience it at the theatre first. It’s just so expensive to get to London to see it.

Definitely would love to see Betrayal too, so would DD as she loves Tom Hiddleston
I was lucky enough to win the Hamilton lottery... It’s well worth a play if you in the area.

Saying that I’d happily pay to see it again it’s mind blowing!
MissB87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7

I would recommend listening to the soundtrack first. I saw it with my daughter a few weeks ago. She loved it. She already knew every word. I struggled A little as I couldn’t follow all the lyrics and the lyrics are key to understanding what’s going on. I still enjoyed the show but not as much as my daughter.

We also saw the Lion King (last minute tickets. Half price) and that was fabulous. I knew every word but that only enhances the experience.

Aladdin last year in nyc which I loved. It’s not the same as the movie so some familiar songs and some new ones but all excellent.

We saw Matilda in Sunderland which was very good. My younger daughters choice.

And I accompanied a school trip to Sunderland to see Shrek which I wasn’t that bothered about. It was ok but I wouldn’t rush back.

Edited at 08:37 AM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
We’re in London at the weekend and I’ve been checking for Hamilton returns. I’m not paying £200pp so I’ll try my luck with the lottery!
We paid £57.50 but we were in the gods. Very uncomfortable seats unfortunately.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Any theatre trip you enjoyed makes you a theatre fan 😀 Did you see Rock of Ages both times? Although it’s good , there are hundreds of great shows, maybe try another one but careful as it becomes addictive 😀
Yes both times.

Before that was when grandparents took us probably 9yrs ago. Don’t go very often. Don’t really have time as don’t have childcare often.
Plus I’m not too big on theatre cos of the money really. Cost us £100 for two tickets parking etc so not a cheap night out.
Would rather go Disney on ice for the same price.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List