Notices
Social Groups Social Chatty type threads

Old 16 Dec 18, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
lincolnhan
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile Plus size- what do you wear in Disney?

Hi all

Heading out for 3rd time next July and I’m afraid to say I’m the largest I’ll have been (unless the diet from New Year actually works but I’m a realist)!

I’m also heading to 40 and having a bit of a ‘am I looking like mutton dressed as lamb’ moment!

Please can size 18/20 40ish plus ladies tell me what they wear to feel cool and comfortable? I can’t wear shorts unless they’re legging/cycling type but have to have tops covering to mid thigh and my bras do not have dainty lovely straps so need to cover those!

Finally, the fear of chub rub is real!

Thanks loads in advance!
Hoping for Trip 4: 4 weeks Grand Tour - LA, Vegas, Florida & NY (2021)
lincolnhan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

My mum is about a 16/18. She wore 3/4 lightweight chinos from next. I had the shorts in the same material.
I loved them so much I pretty much wore that pair of shorts non stop.
So they come to about calf length but she never felt too hot as the frabric was very thin.
Then as in your Disney I would go for Disney t shirts.
Primark have loads and will get more after Christmas. They do up to 22/24 I think.
Again all the ones I have are thin/lightweight.
Everybody wears Disney t shirts in Disney, you won’t feel out of place.
And at the end of day, no body is really looking at you anyway. Just relax and enjoy yourself.

Edited at 12:25 PM.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I wear shorts. I find denim ones the most comfortable generally. And sleeveless tops with thickish straps. Not strapped tops. More like T-shirts with no sleeves or cotton shirts with short sleeves.

Edited at 12:48 PM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Cotton 3/4 length trousers and short sleeve long t shirt which I buy in the next size up so it’s a bit longer and not clingy round my hips !

I get my holiday clothes from Ambrose Wilson. They sound old fashioned but for reasonably priced holiday clothes they are fine.

PS although you feel size 18/20 is large you will not feel out of place in Disney - you see women a lot bigger yet they look nice in their shorts, it’s just a matter of getting the right size and fit.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’m a size 16 and wear knee length shorts and a vest top that covers my stomach.
The straps on the tops generally cover the straps on my bra and I try to get bras a similar colour to my tops so they’re not so noticeable

Please don’t worry about looking like mutton dressed as lamb I’m 59 and feel comfortable dressed like this.

Edited at 01:41 PM.
Taffy1959 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Size 20/22 - I wear what I like, I don’t care what others think. I wear shorts (don’t like 3/4 length since I saw them described as ‘fat bird in big knickers!’
T shirts but always with a v neck, or sleeveless tops but never strappy tops.
Here’s DH and I in October

Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Shifu
VIP Dibber

Shifu's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Lightweight maxi and midi skirts and tops with short sleeves (almost to the elbow but with the shoulder splits in them). I dont wear trousers or shorts at home so I don't in Florida. I'm a size 20 and the last visit 2017 and 2019 will be July scheduled. Its hot, but use air con wisely if you struggle.
Shifu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ccleveley
Serious Dibber

ccleveley's Reviews
Hi- I'm a size 18. I always wear summer dresses usually with sleeves (Cold Shoulder or Bandeau) - only problem then is the chaffing thighs and I can recommending Gold Bond Anti-Friction Defence for that (1 application lasts all day). You can get it on Amazon or over there at Wal-Mart.
ccleveley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
goodevans
VIP Dibber

goodevans's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
On our 2014 trip, for the first time ever, I abandoned shorts for dresses and found them so much nicer, cooler and more flattering.
I have never worn shorts again!

The dresses were all light cotton knee length (sleeveless but wide straps) and I bought some Body Glide and used it as a precaution as I was a bit concerned about chaffing. I have never experienced this but did not want to chance it.
Being a size 18 I am no slim thing but I am pleased to report no chaffing problems at all

I could not imagine in the heat wearing cycling shorts or leggings under a dress as I feel it would negate the coolness.

I will never wear shorts again ... I hate that potato sack tied in the middle with string look and have so many photos I loathe.
It was a revelation how much cooler dresses were ... no hot sweaty waistband either !

My DH even commented on how much nicer I looked and i have had several instances of complete strangers coming up to me in the parks to comment on how much they liked my dress

I am now 61 by the way so no glamorous young thing
Hotel Cheyenne DLP - 1994,Davy Crockett Ranch DLP - 1996 ,AllStars Sports WDW 1997,DL Hotel DLP - 1998,All Stars Movies WDW - 2000,AKL WDW -03,Newport Bay Club DLP - 04,AKL WDW- 06,Sequoia Lodge DLP 06
Fairfield Inn Marriot Village LBV-12

Hawthorn Suites LBV-14, Hotel Cheyenne DLP-17, LBV, RPR, POR-WDW, AMI+Disney Dream '18
goodevans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 18, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Brave5
Apprentice Imagineer

I wore light weight summer dresses (knee length) with some 'gym shorts' type shorts under - think they were from primark and were thin enough to stay cool and prevented chaffing. Having the dress flow around me kept me really cool.
Brave5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List