Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 Mar 19, 02:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
A few years ago I was lucky enough to have a virtually full tour of Jordan and Petra was a highlight.

I was extremely lucky as it was during the period that various places were vying to be a New Seven Wonders of the World and Jordan Tourist Board were using Petra in their campaign. I came back from a walk up to the Monastery (hard work) and walked into the Treasury area(the one Mr Jones rides into at the end of the film) just as JTB were doing their photoshoot and they kindly didn't turn me away and allowed me to sit on a seat looking directly at that wonderful scene - there was just me, a camel and two photographers. I couldn't believe my luck and just sat there taking it all in - and managed some great photos myself with no hoards of tourists. Would love to go back and do Petra by night. If you get the chance to read amazon/Married-Bed.../dp/1844082202 it is a fascinating book about how a Kiwi backpacker married into the Bedoiuns who lived in Petra. On my walk up to the Monastery she was actually there and she was absolutely fabulous and so generous with her time - not sure if she is still in the Petra area but acccording to tripadvisor she was in March 2018.

Other highlights were overnight in Wadi Rum in a tent (freezing in March) with a camel who liked eating toilet rolls and a fabulous cooked in the ground lamb meal similar to a gold old New Zealand hangi. Mount Nebo where Moses was suppoed to have seen the promised land - my visit was just after Pope Paul so even though I am not particularly religious it was very moving. Jerash was interesting and reminded me of a certain Hadrians Wall near where I live. Also did Dead Sea (well you have to) - a little known fact about the Kempinski Hotel there is that Boris Yelstsin the late Russian leader drank the hotel dry of vodka! The food in Amman was very good especially snack dishes like falafel cooked fresh - there was one dessert which cropped up repeatedly and the only way I could describe it is white blancmange that smelt of Savlon but it tasted better than it smelt.

Even back in the early 2000's there was a movement to help Jordanian women start up small businesses to give them independence and I believe that this still flourishes to this day.

I hope everyone who wants to visit gets the chance as it is a very welcoming country with some great scenery - I will go back one day this time taking my partner.

Just checked and the Pope's visit was 2000 so perhaps more than a few years since my visit
Thanks for all this information. Really want to visit Jerash and Mount Nebo alongside Petra. We’ll do the Dead Sea too as I’ve always wanted to have a float in it.

The more I read about Jordan I’m really pleased I took the chance to book it. Looks such an amazing place, with fantastic people and some breathtaking sights. One trip I’m really looking forward too.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

I follow a young couple fo travel vloggers called Flying the Nest on You Tube. They also have a blog and did a great report on Jordan and Petra. Its worth having a look at their sites whilst planning

Looks amazing, have a wonderful time

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
Thanks for all this information. Really want to visit Jerash and Mount Nebo alongside Petra. We’ll do the Dead Sea too as I’ve always wanted to have a float in it.

The more I read about Jordan I’m really pleased I took the chance to book it. Looks such an amazing place, with fantastic people and some breathtaking sights. One trip I’m really looking forward too.
Just read you pre planning trippie - don't forget to take some warm clothes I went in March and it did get really cold at times. Wadi Rum was near freezing, Aqaba the temperature and sea were barely warm enough to swim in (and more to the point getting out of it was a challenge - like Whitely Bay in summer) - thankfully Dead Sea Day was a bit warmer and much more pleasant. Yes the weather can be changeable but a couple of light layers can work wonders. The mosaics at Madaba are small but amazing and you will be totally amazed by Petra - yes it is huge and if you intend climbing up to the Monastery take a good pair of shoes with a decent sole.

Please keep us up to date with your trip when you can.

PS Listen out for random playing of bagpipes especially at Jerash

Edited at 09:59 PM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
Just read you pre planning trippie - don't forget to take some warm clothes I went in March and it did get really cold at times. Wadi Rum was near freezing, Aqaba the temperature and sea were barely warm enough to swim in (and more to the point getting out of it was a challenge - like Whitely Bay in summer) - thankfully Dead Sea Day was a bit warmer and much more pleasant. Yes the weather can be changeable but a couple of light layers can work wonders. The mosaics at Madaba are small but amazing and you will be totally amazed by Petra - yes it is huge and if you intend climbing up to the Monastery take a good pair of shoes with a decent sole.

Please keep us up to date with your trip when you can.

PS Listen out for random playing of bagpipes especially at Jerash
Thanks again for the info. We’ve each got a checked bag so can take plenty of layers with us. If it’s a bit colder at the Dead Sea it will be a quick dip in then out for sure!

I saw a video of the bagpipers in Jerash, sounded amazing in the theatre, the acoustics were brilliant. Really looking forward to going and seeing the sights. Petra just looks breathtaking and the biblical sights will be something special to see too.

I’ll post more updates on my trip report up until we go and will definitely complete the full report when we are back. The people who are doing our tour are just waiting to get one hotel confirmed then it’s all booked. They have been really good, tailored it to what we wanted to do and I’m sure will make it a really amazing time.

Thanks again for the information, remember it not being massively warm in Egypt on an evening which seemed strange at the time given how hot it was during the day.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List