Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 3 Feb 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
Simon and Sully, tell me more about Cunard, see now I’ve got another cruise line to research!

We’re not dressing up folk, how formal do you have to be for dinner?

I’ve looked at the Victoria and the Britannia grill cabins look lovely, do either of you have any experience of them?

Did the ship dock in port or did you have to tender?
Dress is pretty strict on formal nights. Dark suit with tie or dinner suit and bow tie although some did have some rather loud dinner suites and bow ties. Non formal nights it’s jacket with ties optional. I tended to not wear a tie on these nights. We had 2 formal nights and rest non formal.

Dining, we just did Britannia. Loved the breakfast in there and had the ultimate every day. Lido buffet was nice for lunch but you can be waited on in the Britannia.

Ports , only one tender port. The rest we docked. Flam railway was expensive for what you got I thought and that was without paying the extortionate rate for booking on board.

We sailed on the Victoria too. A very elegant and old fashioned ship. We enjoyed it that much we booked while onboard to do the Canaries this November. That way we get an extra $300 onboard spending money each as opposed to booking normally.

Wine is expensive so we bought the wine package for wine with meal and had cocktails and beer elsewhere. Found cocktails were better value to say how much alcohol was in them. Beware that all drinks carry 15% surcharge
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

A friend of mine in her mid 60s did a Saga holiday but not a cruise. Said she was the youngest by about 20 years.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Dress is pretty strict on formal nights. Dark suit with tie or dinner suit and bow tie although some did have some rather loud dinner suites and bow ties. Non formal nights it’s jacket with ties optional. I tended to not wear a tie on these nights. We had 2 formal nights and rest non formal.

Dining, we just did Britannia. Loved the breakfast in there and had the ultimate every day. Lido buffet was nice for lunch but you can be waited on in the Britannia.

Ports , only one tender port. The rest we docked. Flam railway was expensive for what you got I thought and that was without paying the extortionate rate for booking on board.

We sailed on the Victoria too. A very elegant and old fashioned ship. We enjoyed it that much we booked while onboard to do the Canaries this November. That way we get an extra $300 onboard spending money each as opposed to booking normally.

Wine is expensive so we bought the wine package for wine with meal and had cocktails and beer elsewhere. Found cocktails were better value to say how much alcohol was in them. Beware that all drinks carry 15% surcharge
Thanks Simon, I think the dress code is going to rule us out! DH doesn’t own a suit or even a suit jacket (
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Thanks Simon, I think the dress code is going to rule us out! DH doesn’t own a suit or even a suit jacket (
that's a shame, we're not really dress up people either and were fine. I loved the ship, we slummed it in a balcony cabin and found it very comfortable

We docked at Bergen, Olden, Flam and Stavanger. Waking up the 2nd morning and looking out of our balcony at the fjords all around us was an experience i will never forget.
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Have a look at Celebrity! Formal nights had people dressed up to the hilt or men in shirt and tie in the dining rooms. I don’t like dressing up but can do smart and just wore black trousers and a nice top. Perfectly acceptable but Cunard are defo more formal than this.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

We have booked a balcony cabin on Cunard so are looking forward to the views. We are not dress up people either but decided we could cope with seven or eight evenings being smart.
Can you wear trainers and casual clothes during the day. We are more used to Disney cruises which are much more relaxed. Going June will we need clothes for all weathers. Any tips greatly appreciated.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Licoricelover View Post
We have booked a balcony cabin on Cunard so are looking forward to the views. We are not dress up people either but decided we could cope with seven or eight evenings being smart.
Can you wear trainers and casual clothes during the day. We are more used to Disney cruises which are much more relaxed. Going June will we need clothes for all weathers. Any tips greatly appreciated.
Don’t worry about during the day, people are very casual, I wore shorts and sandals a lot during the day.

We had a balcony cabin and the Fjord views were stunning.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tikka234
Imagineer

We done fjords with PO Arcadia loved it we were 60. We don't like dressing up too much had 2 formal nights we went to the buffet, in smart casual we could also go to the theater, etc.
We're going back to the fjords this year on P O AzurA can't wait
Old 4 Feb 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Fred Olsen have some fab shorter length cruises, no formal nights on 5 night durations, including fjords.
They have introduced some great new entertainment too, silent discos, deck parties, a book club, and themed evenings for all calendar evets i.e. Valentines, St Patricks, etc.

If you want to see photos you can check out my blog mybigfatcruise.

Happy planning! Dont forget, cruising is for life, not just for christmas

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

We did the fjords with Royal Caribbean. Loved it. Not overly formal at all. They have formal nights, but don’t really enforce it.
We booked when there was an offer on. We got free drinks package and gratuities included.
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List