Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 8 Feb 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
lisastep
Trying for More Ears

Renting DVC

Hi All

I hope someone can advise me here.

We've been to WDW many times and always stayed on site booking direct with Disney. We are considering renting points from one of the DVC brokers for our trip in October 2020. I've been in touch with one of them and they said can't book until Nov 2019, which is fine. However, we usually always book with Disney in April of the year before for our trip (April 2019), when the offer comes out for $200 gift card and free QSDP which we usually upgrade to include TS.

So, my dilemma is whether we don't book in April and take a chance that the broker will find the required points for a DVC for 2 weeks in October (over half term), or chicken out and book a usual Disney hotel and have the DDP/gift card etc. My worry with leaving it until November is that there won't be enough points available and then we would have to book direct with Disney and there being less availability or DDP/gift card option not available any longer.

I guess we could put in a request for a DVC resort with Disney when reserving but that still involves waiting and I'm guessing booking a DVC with a broker would be cheaper than direct with Disney.

Any advise is gratefully received as not sure what to do!

Many thanks
Lisa
Port Orleans 1995/Coronado springs 2006/Grand Floridian 1998/Port Orleans 2004/AKL 2006/Pop Century 2008/Saratoga springs 2010/Old Key West 2013/Port Orleans August 2015/Port Orleans August 2017/OKW May 2020
lisastep is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

It's very likely you would get the DVC booking with David's etc, having contacted them so far in advance. They deliver 9.9/10 if you contact them pre 11 months I suspect otherwise they wouldn't have so many renters coming back.
Old 8 Feb 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
howerd
VIP Dibber

Hi Lisa,

I think it will depend on what the DDP offer looks like this year. Last year you couldn't book a DVC resort until the 11 month window (Cash), and even then availability was limited from memory.

What we did last year (slightly different situation as we were looking to buy into DVC). We booked with ATD to secure the dining and gift card offer. They allowed alterations to the booking (Subject to availability) so we could reduce, increase dates and change resorts. We only paid £100 deposit so viewed it as if we chose to cancel this would be the 'penalty'... Albeit it gave us peace of mind that we had a booking if all else failed..

We subsequently bought into DVC and our plans changed (parents now coming for part of the trip) so decided on doing a split stay for this year reducing the cash booking dates down and using points for the rest. That way we maintained the deposit, gift card and dining for the first part, but we also get to use the DVC points for the second part.

Not a perfect solution, but means you have options at 11/7 months. Again though, I think it will depend what the offering looks like this year for the free DDP.

Hope this helps.
howerd is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Jasonharry
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’d book the free dining for one person, going through Quidco to get the cashback, if you do end up using it you can add others on and they’ll get the free dining too, if you get the dvc booking you can cancel and you’ll only lose £50, though there’s a good chance your cashback may have paid out
Jasonharry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List