Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Feb 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Hornet1976
Getting Excited

Mobile Expiring Passport

My son's (11) passport runs out 3 weeks after we are due back from our trip to Orlamdo in May. Will this still be valid for our trip and will we get an Esta? Has anyone got experience of this and did you have any issues?
Hornet1976 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

It will be fine and you will get an ESTA without issue - so long as - his passport is British, and he is a British citizen and he is travelling from (and returning to) a UK airport.

sorry Edited to add we had 6 weeks on one of ours and no problems.

Edited at 09:12 AM.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

The US require a UK passport to be valid, that's all. An ESTA would be granted, but would run out when the passport runs out.

That's the pre Brexit rules ... which most of the population seem to be assuming will all be the same after it.
Old 11 Feb 19, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Hornet1976
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
It will be fine and you will get an ESTA without issue - so long as - his passport is British, and he is a British citizen and he is travelling from (and returning to) a UK airport.
Thank you. I read that the UK have a special agreement with the US but thought I'd ask. Might be better off renewing anyway seen as we have to do new ESTA's for the family.
Hornet1976 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Hornet1976 View Post
Thank you. I read that the UK have a special agreement with the US but thought I'd ask. Might be better off renewing anyway seen as we have to do new ESTA's for the family.
I can see you only have 96 days before you go. Personally I would have the ESTA's done now.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Renewed a passport online a couple of weeks ago and it was here 4 days later. If I was you I'd get it renewed asap, and get the ESTA as soon as it's back. Time is ticking.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Agree with above poster. Whilst the odds are you’ll have no issues I would suggest you get ESTA ASAP
There are many threads here about innocent errors on the form resulting in the need for a visa. Personally I’d just use the existing passport and new estas. Worry about a new passport post Florida

Passport and Esta , imho, are the first things to be dealt with, long before the actual booking of the holiday.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

The special agreement is that you "only" have to have valid documents, not documents with 6 months spare on them.
Old 11 Feb 19, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Hornet1976
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
The special agreement is that you "only" have to have valid documents, not documents with 6 months spare on them.
That's how I read it too but thought I'd check. Turns out the Esta expires before we go anyway so I'll sort out the passport and then the Esta I think otherwise I'll just end up having to apply for another Esta next year! Thanks for the advice.
Old 21 Mar 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Hornet1976
Getting Excited

Mobile

My son's (11) passport runs out 3 weeks after we are due back from our trip to Orlamdo in May. Will this still be valid for our trip and will we get an Esta? Has anyone got experience of this and did you have any issues?
Quick update on this: there were a few people that seemed a little concerned about the timing of all this ie. Quite near our travel date. We applied for my lad's passport three weeks ago, we received it back within 2 weeks. We then applied for our ESTA's Sunday which was approved later that day. Kind of wish I'd left the ESTA's until a few weeks before our travel date so that it stayed valid until Easter 2021. Basically just wanted to let people know that there really is no panic with ESTA's and passports under normal circumstances. I suppose Brexit could affect passport application times but that aside it's a very quick process.
Closed Thread