Notices

View Poll Results: Should i cut my long hair short?
Yes-it's falling out,it's breaking,it will be easier 136 80.00%
No-tying it back is easy,o/h likes it 34 20.00%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Mar 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
rasmus
Imagineer

rasmus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Should i get my hair cut short?

So, I've been growing it since 2015, grew it for the wedding, it's down past my bra strap, no fringe.
is it time for the big chop?

I have problem hair-
it's falling out (I'm 45-something to do with period-menopause?)
I have a very strong natural middle parting, plus a cowlick to the left of that.
It gets greasy very quickly, but is also very dry (how? Doesn't make sense! )
In the summer here it gets very hot, I can't stand it on the back of my neck so I always tie it up.
It gets very frizzy when down so i end up as "triangle head"
Because of that I have lots of fly-aways where it keeps breaking.

Trouble is o/h likes it long.

Am so tempted to get it cut short.
Do i?...

This was over a year ago, it had just been cut and colored so is looking the best it gets but being that long it costs too much to keep getting colored.
Shows how waves it it,but imagine more frizz-despite trying different products.
January 2019-Cabana bay/Homewood suites

Edited at 01:10 PM.
rasmus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Lulu Belle
Apprentice Imagineer

I would make an appt at a good hairdressers and get some professional advice. Saying that, it does sound like you have many good reasons to go short!
Lulu Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
**Tracey**
Apprentice Imagineer

**Tracey**'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I also suffer with frizz and triangle head. I got mine cut short into a layered jaw length bob about a year ago. It is great although I do have to work with it far more than I ever did before and I sometimes miss just being able to tie it up and forget about it.

I would say go for the cut and try it out, if you are not that happy with it you can always grow it again.
**Tracey** is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Your reasons sound like you kind of want to cut it.
But I feel your dilemma.

I'm older than you and also have long hair, and also have a hubby who would not be pleased if I cut it. I have talked to him about it and of course he says it's my decision and cut it if I want to, but I know he does like my hair long...

I remember my quite stuffy MIL telling me when I was getting my hair done after the birth of our youngest, at 38, not to bother too much as at 40 women 'should' have their hair cut short. I was gutted. My hubby was more gutted

Personally, (and I know opinions on this differ greatly, so only my opinion! )but I think short hair on a woman makes her look older after a certain age.
Longer hair can soften a face if cut correctly, and it's more versatile. I can have mine down, or up with various different things in it to match outfits etc.
I've never been a neat and tidy hair girl though, I have to say, always been nearer to long hippie fluffiness type than a sleek bob type.

At least with it longer you have options.
Maybe tie it up in a tidy tight bun if you want the easy care of a shorter style.
Everyone's different.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post

I'd say go for a LOB. Long Bob. Something like the below would mean you could still tie it up

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
talicarr
Helping Minnie

If you heat up a lot on the neck area consider an under cut- I got one last year. if I wear my hair down you can't even see it, and my hair is only jaw length, but I noticed it reduced the volume of hair on my head massively, and it so much cooler than having all that hair stuck to your neck, plus I think its cool- though that's not for everyone. I'm also of the opinion that its only hair, and even if you don't like it a couple of months and it will look different. Don't keep hair that makes you uncomfortable for your OH either, he's not wearing it on his head!
talicarr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I had long hair till my mid 30's, I then gradually got it cut shorter and shorter till I had a really short Bob. Now it's just past my shoulder, and I'm looking to get it cut shorter for the summer. I love having shorter hair, so much, and all my friends have hair no longer that shoulder length. I tend to disagree with above poster, I find long hair on older people age them, perhaps it's just people I know. But I'd love to take them and give them a makeover. Why not get a good bit off and see how you feel. As for the husbands, trust me they'll learn to live with it!

Edited at 03:26 PM.
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
So I have been through this dilemma a couple of times, cut my hair, grown it again, cut it again... currently in the growing phase.
Without fail, I have found having hair shorter to be more time and energy intensive than longer hair. At least I can just tie it up and not worry about it - which is very helpful on holiday or when it's hot.
Maybe reduce the length, get some layers so it's more manageable (I have very thick curly/wavy hair) and love the versatility of it?

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DLP: 92,93,94 (twice), 95, 96, 98, 99, 00 (twice), 01,02,03, 05, 06 (twice) 07, 09, 10 (twice), 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 (twice) 19 (x 4!), 2022 x2 .

WDW 94,96, 99, 10,11, 13, 14,15,17,18,19, 22 x2, 23 x4 and 24 booked x3 (so far!)
Solo visitor lover and DCL 2023 on the Disney Wish
DL 93
cheekytink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I've a little bit older than you. My hair is definitely thinner and it was very dry. I changed shampoos. I used to use L'oreal for colour hair (red bottle) and conditioner and changed to OGX sulphate free for coloured hair (pink bottle). What a difference. Although the grey still grows in the colour is still as good as when the hairdresser put it on and it's no longer dry. Hasn't helped with thinning unfortunately.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Depends what you mean by short. Looking at your picture I would get it cut shorter but not short. A long bob would be nice.

I’m 43 and I don’t ever plan on having my hair cut short short as I think it looks aging. My mum has had dark hair in a long bob with a fringe all her life and she still looks very young now at 71. I’m considering a fringe to cover any forehead wrinkles (which I can see forming as I type! 😂 ) at some point.

I did have thinning hair a few years ago and it turned out I was low in iron, it’s since grown back as I upped my iron levels.

Kat

Edited at 02:42 PM.
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List