Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 17 Mar 19, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by oeamon View Post
We used to do it because of the traffic risks . We now do it as we see it as start of our holiday. Dinner and a glass of something chilled in the hotel really marks holiday time. We are 40mins from LHR and an hour from LGW and only if we have a afternoon flight would we skip the hotel bit now
We are a similar distance from Gatwick and husband always wants to add on so much delay time "just in case" that we now stay over after he suggested we leave at midnight for an 11am flight !
We've paid £28 for travelodge this year , at that price it's hard to find a reason not to !

Edited at 09:13 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 19, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

Hotel stay, my biggest fear is parking on the m25 and watching my flight leave.
Old 17 Mar 19, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellesdream
slightly serious Dibber

We're 2 hours from Gatwick and will be staying at the hotel the night before... Builds on excitement, holiday begins an extra day, no stress about timings etc.
Bellesdream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
45 mins from LGW ( when in U.K.) always stay overnight, I prefer the relaxing shower and change In the morning rather than the have we got everything panic day of travel
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by colin39 View Post
Hotel stay, my biggest fear is parking on the m25 and watching my flight leave.
That happened maybe 6 years ago on a flight we were on.

We did the M25 circa 3.30pm. An hour later there was a double fatal and the road was still closed at 10.00am the next morning.

The VS27 we were on had 1 whole cabin empty and this was an August flight! As we climbed to altitude we could see miles of stuck traffic on the M25.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We are a couple of hours away from Manchester, done both but now we tend to take the hotel option. Makes a nice relaxing morning rather than worrying about road closures and traffic. Premier Inn at Runger Lane is a good deal.
macy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We're staying overnight at the PI Gatwick North before our flight in October, we've never done this before as usually when flying to the states we fly from Heathrow which is 15/20 mins away from home so never had to bother with a hotel. I'm flying Heathrow to Budapest in 2 weeks and our flight is at 8.10am, I am dreading getting up at 5am, but no point with a hotel when only up the road!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
dadachu
Helping Donald

Always overnight for us. Especially from Manchester the M6 from Birmingham is nightmare whatever time you travel.
Only time we don't overnight is when travelling from Birmingham, our local airport which only 30/40 mins away. This, however, can be stressful in morning rush hour on the carpark that is the M42. Once had to get off and detour through Solihull so my daughter could catch her flight.
We've stayed at Runger Lane & Wilmslow PI's plus Adlington Travelodge for Manchester and a PI near Beaconsfield for Heathrow. All ok if all you're looking for is a bed and a shower. I don't think i've paid more than £35 ish for any of the rooms. To me that's cheap stress relief !
dadachu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We live about an hour and a half from Gatwick and always go on the day as one of our two kids drops us off.

This last trip 1st Feb, we stayed with our daughter the night before at Farnham, to wake up to at least two inches of snow all over the car. We left early and other than the roads being bad in Farnham the M25 was ok.

But as Tom Morrow said the M25 is always a risk.

Melvin and Lesley
Old 18 Mar 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Melvin Pearce View Post
We live about an hour and a half from Gatwick and always go on the day as one of our two kids drops us off.

This last trip 1st Feb, we stayed with our daughter the night before at Farnham, to wake up to at least two inches of snow all over the car. We left early and other than the roads being bad in Farnham the M25 was ok.

But as Tom Morrow said the M25 is always a risk.

Melvin and Lesley
Reminds us of our return to LGW in Dec 2017. We'd normally do M25, M40 home. By the time we'd reached the M40 there were horror matrix warning signs. We could then change our mind and use the M1 - but very soon horrid matrix signs again. So we aborted and decided to "invite" ourselves to our daughters in Essex for the night. 7 hours from LGW to Essex - admittedly the long way round. Never seen so many jack-knifed lorries straddling three lanes.

Last year we pre-empted any problems and went home via the tunnel and Essex.

Mick