Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 18 Mar 19, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lulu Belle
Apprentice Imagineer

SW Beaches & Keys - what are you excited about?

I've been feeling a bit fed up lately so trying to cheer myself up by thinking about our first holiday to Cape Coral/Florida Keys in May. I thought I'd make a list of things I'm most looking forward to and wondered if anyone wanted to join in? It would be a good way to get more inspiration and ideas too.

So for me, apart from sunshine and family time, I'm really looking forward to...

1. White sandy beaches and still waters - my favourite type of beach esp when the water is warm On my list are Fort Myers, Naples, Sanibel, Barefoot, Lovers Key and Sombrero Beach in the Keys.
2. Cheesecake Factory - might sound odd but we've never been to one so planning on visiting the one in Naples.
3. Peanut butter M&Ms.
4. Driving the Tamiami Trail and the Overseas Highway.
5. Restaurants - thanks to a previous thread I've made a list of fab places to eat. Island Cow, we're coming for you!
6. Chill time in and around the villa pool
8. Snorkeling and the marine life.
9. Going to Robbies in Islamorada (perhaps waving at family via the webcam!)
10. Watching the sunset whilst enjoying a cocktail.

Lulu Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I went to Cape Coral last year, unfortunately we had red tide so some beaches were full of dead fish and we were coughing a lot. But I’m not putting you off as the area was beautiful, are you going to Ford Garage for a yummy burger? It was really nice, we did a boat trip and saw dolphins close up. The villa was gorgeous and loved chilling around the pool, we also went to a lovely shopping centre. It was better than Orlando and we would love to go back!

Ps, forget sitting on the beach watching the sunset was lovely too!

Edited at 05:33 PM.
Sandra & co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Rotonda Bound
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
If you like retail therapy then you might like to put the Mirromar Outlet and Coconut Point on your list.
😎

Dragonflies Villa ... close to stunning Gulf Coast beaches.
The ideal place to relax and unwind

Rotonda Bound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Hi.

Great thread.

We have booked our first ever villa this year. It's in Rotonda West a few miles North of Cape Coral. We've booked flights into Fort Lauderdale so we've booked a hotel there for a few nights at the start of the holiday.

Like you we're really looking forward to seeing the variety of beaches although our Gulf Coast ones will probably be from North of RW and up to Siesta Key in the Sarasota area. We're also looking forward to spending some time on Fort Lauderdale beach.

I recently posted a thread which has a video I found on YouTube showing a relaxing walk along Sierra Key beach. This is the link.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post13732896

I'm also looking forward to visiting State Parks such as Myakka to see the animals and the woodland etc.

Sarasota also looks like a great city to explore and I'd like to visit the Mote Aquarium.

For us we hope the villa stay will give us time to chill out around the pool, barbecue, watch some TV and ride bikes to reduce the excess of our visits to Walmart, Publix and Winn Dixie. We enjoy a shop in US supermarkets, but I know we're not alone.

Also looking forward to trying a few restaurants, both independent and chain. Also as Sandra said sunset cocktails is something to look forward to.

In terms of your list the drive down to Key West was fantastic especially across 7 Mile Bridge. Cheesecake Factory is a hit with us, although I prefer the mains to the cakes.

I quite fancy driving from FL to RW via the Tamiami Trail, as it sounds pretty scenic although it will probably add to the drive.

The last couple of US holidays have been multi stop road trips with several hour drives on several days, so we're looking forward to reducing the driving right down this year, notwithstanding the drives from FL. Only having to drive an hour or so to Sarasota, and back, will be a real change compared to our last couple of trips.

Happy planning and hope you have a fantastic holiday.

Edited at 10:29 PM.
tocpe321 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

I LOVE this thread!

I am looking to book a two week trip for Jan/Feb next year just for my husband and myself. In fact I've just been looking at flights!

Distinct lack of direct flights to Florida from anywhere in UK apart from London, but never mind...

Plans are to fly in to Miami , do the Keys for a few days then head up the Gulf Coast, stay in Orlando (maybe, as we will have Universal annual passes) then either back down to Miami or fly back from Orlando.
My husband loves driving and is very up for such a roadtrip

We've done a fair bit of this before, been to Key West for a day on a cruise (we'd love to go back and stay)
We've driven across Tamiami Trail a few times at different times of year , always seen alligators in the wild, and turtles, always enjoyed it so will do it again

Been to and stayed at Fort Myers Beach, Marco Island (near Naples) Clearwater, been to Venice Beach, Anna Maria Island, and stayed at Clearwater too, (prefere further south by far )

Hoping to add to our lovely memories on the Gulf coast, we've sat with cocktail in hand watching the sun set over the white sand a few times in different places, it is always my go-to when trying to find relaxation when at home, those memories are absolutely priceless, and I want to find that peace again.

Will be following this thread!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninnybobs
Apprentice Imagineer

If you find yourself in Fort Myers have a look at Bowditch Point Park. It’s just along the beach from Fort Myers Pier, but is a lot quieter and often have plenty of dolphins and Manatees to watch.
My favourite restraunt is Captain Con’s at Bokeelia on Pine Island. Nice meal and a sunset to follow... heaven !
Ninnybobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Lulu Belle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I went to Cape Coral last year, unfortunately we had red tide so some beaches were full of dead fish and we were coughing a lot. But I’m not putting you off as the area was beautiful, are you going to Ford Garage for a yummy burger? It was really nice, we did a boat trip and saw dolphins close up. The villa was gorgeous and loved chilling around the pool, we also went to a lovely shopping centre. It was better than Orlando and we would love to go back!

Ps, forget sitting on the beach watching the sunset was lovely too!
Hi Sandra, yes Ford's is on my list of places. If I recall you recommended it! The burgers look great. Do you remember who you did the boat trip with? We'll definitely be doing this to see dolphins
Lulu Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Lulu Belle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rotonda Bound View Post
If you like retail therapy then you might like to put the Mirromar Outlet and Coconut Point on your list.
😎
Ooh thanks! I've heard of Miromar but not Coconut Point so will check it out
Old 19 Mar 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Lulu Belle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Hi.

Great thread.

We have booked our first ever villa this year. It's in Rotonda West a few miles North of Cape Coral. We've booked flights into Fort Lauderdale so we've booked a hotel there for a few nights at the start of the holiday.

Like you we're really looking forward to seeing the variety of beaches although our Gulf Coast ones will probably be from North of RW and up to Siesta Key in the Sarasota area. We're also looking forward to spending some time on Fort Lauderdale beach.

I recently posted a thread which has a video I found on YouTube showing a relaxing walk along Sierra Key beach. This is the link.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post13732896

I'm also looking forward to visiting State Parks such as Myakka to see the animals and the woodland etc.

Sarasota also looks like a great city to explore and I'd like to visit the Mote Aquarium.

For us we hope the villa stay will give us time to chill out around the pool, barbecue, watch some TV and ride bikes to reduce the excess of our visits to Walmart, Publix and Winn Dixie. We enjoy a shop in US supermarkets, but I know we're not alone.

Also looking forward to trying a few restaurants, both independent and chain. Also as Sandra said sunset cocktails is something to look forward to.

In terms of your list the drive down to Key West was fantastic especially across 7 Mile Bridge. Cheesecake Factory is a hit with us, although I prefer the mains to the cakes.

I quite fancy driving from FL to RW via the Tamiami Trail, as it sounds pretty scenic although it will probably add to the drive.

The last couple of US holidays have been multi stop road trips with several hour drives on several days, so we're looking forward to reducing the driving right down this year, notwithstanding the drives from FL. Only having to drive an hour or so to Sarasota, and back, will be a real change compared to our last couple of trips.

Happy planning and hope you have a fantastic holiday.

Thanks!

You've just reminded me that our villa has bikes too so we'll definitely be making use of those to explore the area around the villa. I also love a supermarket shop in the US... as do our kids. Over there is the only time they get pop tarts for breakfast and we're all a bit addicted to peanut butter M&Ms! I'm sure you'll love your villa stay. It's just perfect sitting by the pool in the morning having breakfast.

We were originally planning a lot more driving. In fact, we were originally going to Universal for a night. We realised it would be so much driving that we scaled it back to just CC and the Keys. It should make for a more relaxed time and we can appreciate the longer but scenic drives we do have.

I hope you have a fabulous holiday too!
Old 19 Mar 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Lulu Belle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
I LOVE this thread!

I am looking to book a two week trip for Jan/Feb next year just for my husband and myself. In fact I've just been looking at flights!

Distinct lack of direct flights to Florida from anywhere in UK apart from London, but never mind...

Plans are to fly in to Miami , do the Keys for a few days then head up the Gulf Coast, stay in Orlando (maybe, as we will have Universal annual passes) then either back down to Miami or fly back from Orlando.
My husband loves driving and is very up for such a roadtrip

We've done a fair bit of this before, been to Key West for a day on a cruise (we'd love to go back and stay)
We've driven across Tamiami Trail a few times at different times of year , always seen alligators in the wild, and turtles, always enjoyed it so will do it again

Been to and stayed at Fort Myers Beach, Marco Island (near Naples) Clearwater, been to Venice Beach, Anna Maria Island, and stayed at Clearwater too, (prefere further south by far )

Hoping to add to our lovely memories on the Gulf coast, we've sat with cocktail in hand watching the sun set over the white sand a few times in different places, it is always my go-to when trying to find relaxation when at home, those memories are absolutely priceless, and I want to find that peace again.

Will be following this thread!

Hi Cloverlady

The weather in Jan/Feb looks amazing, it would be great to escape our winter at that time of year. If it helps, we booked our flights to Miami with Netflights rather than booking directly with Virgin. It was quite a bit cheaper (we paid £270 each return direct) but that is Heathrow.

Great to hear your experience of the Tamiami Trail. We all love wildlife so really looking forward to it.

Totally agree about the lasting memories, you just can't beat it