Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Mar 19, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
2019DisneyEvans
Excited about Disney

Tolls...Sunpass...Confused!

Hi all. So with only a few weeks to go we thought we ought to read up on the rules of the road. the DIBB guidebooks have been really helpful but I am still a little confused about tolls.
We will be driving from Disney to Hampton lakes, then to the outlets, restaurants, the space centre and back to MCO amongst other places.
We are hiring through Virgin Alamo.
Do we need to take change for tolls? If so roughly how much are they?
Do we need or get a sun pass and if so how much will it cost?
If we have a sun pass do we have to look out for specific lanes?

Thank you for your help.
2019DisneyEvans is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

If you want to keep things simple and not worry about change etc, you can use the Alamo Tollpass system. This works on a numberplate recognition system, so there is no Sunpass Transponder in the car as it doesn’t need one. You don’t need to enroll, just drive thro the Express Lanes, some you slow down a little, some you can pass at 60 or more MPH if you want to, but don’t have to. So no worries about change, arriving at an unmanned toll etc, just drive thro.
We use it every trip for the convenience
It’s currently $3.95 per useage day up to a max of $19.95 for the length of rental plus the tolls at cost.
A couple of weeks or so after you return home your cc will be charged with the costs incurred, although this can take longer dependant on the dates you rent as it may go over the Toll company’s billing period to Alamo.

You can, of course, decide to pay cash at the tolls which can range from 50 cents to around $1.75 or more at each toll.

This link explains how it all works. After you read the general notes tab down to Alamo to see specific charges.
sunpass/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml
You should get a leaflet explaining it all at the exit kiosk at the Alamo Garage

I assume you have done the Virgin Alamo online check in to allow you to miss the hire desk and go straight to the Garage. There is a Virgin hut too in the Garage where you can get help.

Edited at 12:11 AM.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post
2019DisneyEvans
Excited about Disney

Thank you PPM, that’s really helpful.
2019DisneyEvans is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

If you want to,pay for just the Tolls you need 1 $20 bill at the first toll plaza just ask them for change they won't accept anything bigger than a $20 bill
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
2019DisneyEvans
Excited about Disney

Thank you Gryff
Old 19 Mar 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Can't add any more but it just wouldn't be the same if I didn't add my usual toll plaza photos.

If you use 417 south from MCO this is the first toll plaza you'll see.

You'll see a similar one if you choose to leave MCO on 528 north and use I-4 to get to WDW

Mick
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
2019DisneyEvans
Excited about Disney

Thank you Mick
Old 19 Mar 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
KK_Cat
VIP Dibber

KK_Cat's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I always use Alamo mostly because if it isn't broke don't fix it and they have automatic tollpass registered. They also only charge the $3.95 for any day the tollfree system is used (and if I remember correctly there's a max on that of around $25). I generally use coins as it's a handy way of using them up and I usually have some left over from last trip to use on the first day.

Last trip we flew into Miami where they have cashless tolls so I used the tollpass system (just drive through) on travel days and coins in between. I also used the tollpass one other day when we came across an unmanned exit and had run out of coins to use in basket. The bill for the 3 days tollpass usage appeared on my credit card about 6 weeks later and was around the $25 mark. I did notice a significant increase in toll charges last trip (Nov 2018) compared to previous years. The few days we used cash tolls we seemed to fly through those quarters, most days we didn't use tolls at all though.
Next trip: Nov 2023
KK_Cat is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by KK_Cat View Post
I always use Alamo mostly because if it isn't broke don't fix it and they have automatic tollpass registered. They also only charge the $3.95 for any day the tollfree system is used (and if I remember correctly there's a max on that of around $25). I generally use coins as it's a handy way of using them up and I usually have some left over from last trip to use on the first day.

Last trip we flew into Miami where they have cashless tolls so I used the tollpass system (just drive through) on travel days and coins in between. I also used the tollpass one other day when we came across an unmanned exit and had run out of coins to use in basket. The bill for the 3 days tollpass usage appeared on my credit card about 6 weeks later and was around the $25 mark. I did notice a significant increase in toll charges last trip (Nov 2018) compared to previous years. The few days we used cash tolls we seemed to fly through those quarters, most days we didn't use tolls at all though.
Alamo's maximum admin fee is $19.75 PLUS the actual cost of tolls.

Mick
Old 19 Mar 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Just what I was looking for-thank you Dibbers. I’ve always used Alamo before this confirms if the rental prices aren’t too different it’s worth sticking with them-I usually only incur tolls on three or four days so don’t really want to pay for whole rental period!
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List