Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Mar 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
And...?

It's also simple to go to any town centre, public playground or theme park and take a photo of any kids you see there. Or any adult for that matter. It's perfectly legal to take photos of strangers in a public place.
and risk potential arrest

and really !

fwiw i wouldnt post a photo of my daughter on here as i have zero control over who can see/save that photo & use it for whatever purpose

if i spotted someone photographing my daughter in say a public park then at the very least i would be asking them what they are upto & to be honest i reckon i would call the police

there is no similarity in posting pictures of your kids visible on a non registration website & them going outside and being seen by people

surely you can see that ?

or am i missing something?
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
The OP is talking about doing a trip report where their children will literally be "going outside and interacting with the public" (well, the thousands of people at the theme parks, anyway).

They are not talking about putting the children's private life on the internet.

I agree that putting their private life on the internet would be wrong. But we're not talking about that here.
If you look at what they posted its exactly what we are talking about.

"Thinking of doing a trip report but slightly worried that there will then be pictures of the kids and us on the internet for anyone to find.

I do post very few pictures on Facebook but I think that’s more private than the dibb."

They are absolutely talking about putting pictures of their children on the internet for others to view.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I do but only of me and my family, my kids all older are posting on instagram all the time anyway.
Old 19 Mar 19, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
There are plenty of trip reports on here with out children’s faces in . Many just use shots of the backs of the kids looking at something etc , they are still great to read .

Toff princess is a typical example of trip reports posted on both major Florida planning sites but you don’t see them or her child. It can be done very easily.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ

Edited at 03:55 PM.
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
They are absolutely talking about putting pictures of their children on the internet for others to view.
Yes, I know.

But they are putting pictures of their kids doing things in public - a trip report - not pictures of them doing things in private. You said:

"putting you[r] children's private life on the internet for anyone to see".

They aren't "putting their children's private life" on the internet.

Seeing a photo of a child at a theme park is no different than seeing a child at a theme park in person. Thousands of people will see the child and potentially interact with them whilst they are at the theme park. So why is showing a photo of them at that theme park an issue?

I don't understand why people think it's perfectly ok to take their children out in public where anyone can see them, but think posting a photo of the child in that very same public place is an issue? It shows exactly the same thing.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
and risk potential arrest
It is not illegal to take photos of other people in a public place. At all. You will not risk potential arrest for taking a photo of someone in a public place.

I have plenty of photos of other people in my trip reports. I have never asked for their permission. I am not going to be arrested for taking their photo. Because it's not illegal. There is no law at all prohibiting photographing children in public spaces.

Now, you can potentially be arrested for what you do with those public photos. Publishing certain photos might be illegal. Equally, you can be arrested for doing certain things in a public places whilst just watching people.

However, the act of taking someone's photo in public is not in anyway illegal. A person can take your photo - or your child's photo - whilst you are in a public place and there's nothing wrong with doing that.

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
there is no similarity in posting pictures of your kids visible on a non registration website & them going outside and being seen by people
But in both cases, those children will be visible to *anyone* in the public. In both cases, those children are in the public view.

The vase majority of those people seeing them will be perfectly normal people. A small number will not. But in both cases they can see your children. They can hang around in town centres watching children or look out of their window at children passing their house or playing nearby.

Posting a photo or video of your child in a public place for people to see is not significantly different to people watching that child in that same public place. In my opinion.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 05:06 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

It is not illegal to take photos of other people in a public place. At all. You will not risk potential arrest for taking a photo of someone in a public place.

I have plenty of photos of other people in my trip reports. I have never asked for their permission. I am not going to be arrested for taking their photo. Because it's not illegal.

Now, you can potentially be arrested for what you do with those photos. Equally, you can be arrested for doing certain things in a public places whilst just watching people.

However, the act of taking someone's photo is not in anyway illegal. A person can take your photo - or your child's photo - whilst you are in a public place and there's nothing wrong with doing that.

But in both cases, those children will be visible to *anyone* in the public. In both cases, those children are in the public view.

The vase majority of those people seeing them will be perfectly normal people. A small number will not. But in both cases they can see your children. They can hang around in town centres watching children or look out of their window at children passing their house or playing nearby.

Posting a photo or video of your child in a public place for people to see is not significantly different to people watching that child in that same public place. In my opinion.
i think we will have to agree to differ on this as the highlighted part shows we are not even reading the same book never mind on the same page...

and for that reason.. i'm out...
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

I include photos of myself, my partner and more recently our LB in my trip reports. I have no problem with this, in reality he is growing up in a world that is dominated by online activity so I am sure much more than holiday snaps will be shared freely by the masses in the years to come.

That said on a recent trip to DLP that included several other family members I didn't include any photos of them in the report. I choose to share mine and my family's faces, it's not my call on sharing theirs.
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

I don't have kids, but I was a kid with a rather gossipy mother, so I'm glad I grew up in the days before social media, otherwise I could see her having overshared quite a lot.

As far as posting the pics goes, if the kids are old enough, ask them how they feel - do they mind if you post them or not, and be prepared to accept their answer.

If they're younger, think how they would feel when they get older - would they want that picture found if someone searched for them? I'm not even talking about any nefarious purposes here, I'm thinking if a future partner's parent googled them, or a prospective employer decided to check into them.

As someone else said, once you post the picture, it's out there, there's no going back. You have a responsibility to leave other people's digital footprints and legacies as they want them.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I wouldn’t post pictures of me or any famiy members on any forum.
You mean you arnt Alan partridges doppelganger? 😂
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List