Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Mar 19, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
If you are running late with risk of missing your connecting flight, just make your self know in the immigration queue and you will be guided to the front to speed up the process.
I’ve never known this, in fact they were saying hard luck when people were saying they were going to miss their flight. Was this Atlanta?
Old 21 Mar 19, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We had a 2 hour layover in Atlanta in October 2017 and we missed our connecting flight.
It took almost 2 hours to get through immigration.
Personally I wouldn’t do it with less than 3 hours but that’s just my opinion based on my experience
Old 21 Mar 19, 01:11 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Susu View Post
Bobcat12 was asking a similar question earlier today.

We flew Manchester - Atlanta last April, then on to Tampa. We had 2.5 hours between connections which should have been plenty. Unfortunately, whilst we landed on time, four other international flights landed just before us. Over two hours queueing for immigration and we missed our connection. Put on standby for next flight by very stroppy Delta staff (stressed because they had loads of these to sort). Next flight was full. Just about got on the one after that (3 hours after original connection). The Orlando bound passengers weren’t so lucky as there was no availability on stand by until the following morning and so they were stuck in Atlanta for the night.

I would add that the year before that we did the same route with a 1.5 hr connection - which we made by the skin of our teeth (hence the longer planned connection last year).

We won’t ever risk this again. It was just too stressful for us.
Hi Susu, very stressful for some... we're laid back, there's a later flight or the following day. No biggie if we have to book into an airport hotel.

Re immigration; unfortunately it's not an exact science, one day pax zip thro, another it takes 3 hours to clear immigration - what gives me a wry smile, you've a 3 or 4 hour layover, better believe you'll clear and be at your onward gate in 60 mins or so, but, on a short layover... In Nov we had a 3 hour layover, took our time making our Ft Myers gate within an hour, weren't bothered about the 2 hour wait as we had Nooks and free internet.
Old 22 Mar 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Susu
VIP Dibber

Susu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Susu, very stressful for some... we're laid back, there's a later flight or the following day. No biggie if we have to book into an airport hotel.

Re immigration; unfortunately it's not an exact science, one day pax zip thro, another it takes 3 hours to clear immigration - what gives me a wry smile, you've a 3 or 4 hour layover, better believe you'll clear and be at your onward gate in 60 mins or so, but, on a short layover... In Nov we had a 3 hour layover, took our time making our Ft Myers gate within an hour, weren't bothered about the 2 hour wait as we had Nooks and free internet.
Hi ChrisS. Sorry, I should have been more specific - my husband, three teens and myself were all extremely stressed. I would not presume to suggest that everyone would be stressed in that situation. Everyone is different - different temperaments, differenent experience, different circumstances. And everyone’s reactions would differ too. Wouldn’t be much fun if we all the same. Fortunately, the OP should have a wide range of information and views on which to base a decision regarding what would be right for them (which would be the point of posting I assume).
Susu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
JMDisneyfan
Getting Excited

You have to collect bags & drop them off again on the outward bound flight as this is your point of entry to the US. On the inbound flight your bags go straight through. Hope this helps.
Old 22 Mar 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Rigstig
Imagineer

Id say 2 hours is doable, I personally wouldn't do less. We once had a 1h20m layover at JFK and they sold our seats to standby passengers, we didnt get to Orlando until the day after and we had to go via Ft Lauderdale and Miami as a result.

Anaheim 2008

California, Arizona and Nevada road trips 2012,2014, 2019
Rigstig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 19, 05:46 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Susu View Post
Hi ChrisS. Sorry, I should have been more specific - my husband, three teens and myself were all extremely stressed. I would not presume to suggest that everyone would be stressed in that situation. Everyone is different - different temperaments, different experience, different circumstances. And everyone’s reactions would differ too. Wouldn’t be much fun if we all the same. Fortunately, the OP should have a wide range of information and views on which to base a decision regarding what would be right for them (which would be the point of posting I assume).
Ah, apologies Susu, I thought you were quoting Bobcats [Man to Atl to Tampa] experience, hadn't realised it was your family.

I know it appears we're too laid back with travel, we have a 'shrug', it'll be solved attitude. Thought I was a bad flyer/traveller until we began flying PE and all angst went away, too much away some might say. Due to VA delay from Man we had a 90 min layover at Atl in Nov 2017, accepted we wouldn't make it, pleasantly surprised when we did with 5 mins to spare - as did our case which was opened and searched afore being thrown on our flight to Ft Myers!
Old 24 Mar 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
huntmj
Excited about Disney

Atlanta connection

We connected through Atlanta (not to Orlando) a few months ago with a 2 hour transit time and i was concerned about this.
However the process was busy but fairly quick and we got to our next flight with plenty of time to spare.
You need to collect your bags after immigration and then walk a short distance to a transit conveyer belt. Lots of people will be doing this and staff will be waiting for your bags.
Then you get on the train get of at your stop and walk to the gate for your next flight.

It helps me to have detailed information before i go and there are maps on line showing you how to make this transfer. There are also videos on youtube showing how to use the train.
You will need to know which stop to get off for the next flight and this will be displayed at arrivals
huntmj is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Snowman72
Getting to know the DIBB

Personally I agree with others on here with no less than 3 hours. We had a 2hr 25min window and we missed our connecting flight to Orlando.We had to stay at Hotel in Atlanta and fly out to Orlando in the morning.This was in August. I'd rather improve your chances and have an extra hour in the airport, rather than loose a day of your holiday. You do have to collect you bags in Atlanta when connecting to Orlando. You don't have to on your way home.
Snowman72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List