Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Mar 19, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Nurses who have left the NHS for the private sector?

Anyone?

I changed hospitals last year and to be honest, it's pretty much rung the death toll for my working relationship with the NHS, I won't go into details as I'm sure it's pretty much what anyone working in it has/is experiencing.

I've been talking to a private clinic about a role they need filled, obviously it seems very tempting and on a different level to the NHS, has anyone any experience of taking this step pleases?

I do feel that taking the role would ensure I couldn't go back into the NHS (unless I went back to the bottom rung) as the role doesn't exist there and I wouldn't be keeping any relevant clinical skills.

Just interested in any experiences and opinions, I don't want to do a 'grass is greener' move!

Thank you

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

A friend went from the NHS to the private sector , although the money was far better , she went back to the NHS as there were aspects she found to be unacceptable as a nurse.
Is there any way you could try before you apply with bank shifts if you are putting yourself into a one way situation ?
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
A friend went from the NHS to the private sector , although the money was far better , she went back to the NHS as there were aspects she found to be unacceptable as a nurse.
Is there any way you could try before you apply with bank shifts if you are putting yourself into a one way situation ?
Thank you, banking in this particular clinic wouldn't be possible, they only have substantive staff. That's interesting (& concerning) that she found practices unacceptable!

I've not done any work in the private sector since the 90's, I'm sure things have changed dramatically!

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

A friend of mine got disillusioned with the NHS (She was a Sister) went to work in the Private sector, but the same as Duchys friend, found aspects that she didn't like and is now back at the NHS.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

I work in a GP's surgery and have best of both worlds as still get my NHS pension but have autonomy. Pay scales do go out the window so need to negotiate and obviously little chance of anti social hours pay. I could never go back to secondary care though as skill set changed. Good luck with your decision xx

Edited at 11:26 AM.
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
letty
Imagineer

Ive worked for the NHS for 29 yrs , 25 of those years in Intensive Care. I am a bit downhearted with nursing these days but in all honesty I don't think it would be better in the private sector. This is just my personal opinion.
Old 20 Mar 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
Thank you, banking in this particular clinic wouldn't be possible, they only have substantive staff. That's interesting (& concerning) that she found practices unacceptable!

I've not done any work in the private sector since the 90's, I'm sure things have changed dramatically!
I'm sure they have , her dissatisfaction was with the private sector having profit as a primary function . In theory she knew of course but she never expected it to impact on patient care the way it did and she said it wasn't why she went into nursing.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Thank you all, really interesting.

I'm so torn, I love what I do and would love to continue on in this field, on the flip side, I'm really tempted to simply bank and be my own boss, take holidays whenever we feel like it, of course that would be in general surgery.

I know my days of being contracted to the NHS are over, I'm constantly feeling like I'm being held to ransom!

Old 20 Mar 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I retired early from the NHS as it became intolerable. Many of my former colleagues, who are of a certain age, now work in the private sector. Having said that, in my thirty+ years of nursing, lots of staff left for the private sector and ended up returning. Pay and conditions are better BUT there are aspects that many nurses do not find acceptable.

I do know of many, many nurses who left and joined agencie, they can pick and chose thier hours and they get paid very well often with holiday pay etc

I would also be very wary of taking any job that did not keep up your clinical skills and therefore in turn your registration. My advice is to really look carefully at all roles available on the NHS website. There are some obscure ones out there that will maintain your clinical hours

I spent my final five years as the Clinical Lead for The Operating Department and had to complete bank work and cover shifts to ensure I did not lose my registration. Qualifications are hard work and it would be a shame to lose them.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
I retired early from the NHS as it became intolerable. Many of my former colleagues, who are of a certain age, now work in the private sector. Having said that, in my thirty+ years of nursing, lots of staff left for the private sector and ended up returning. Pay and conditions are better BUT there are aspects that many nurses do not find acceptable.

I do know of many, many nurses who left and joined agencie, they can pick and chose thier hours and they get paid very well often with holiday pay etc

I would also be very wary of taking any job that did not keep up your clinical skills and therefore in turn your registration. My advice is to really look carefully at all roles available on the NHS website. There are some obscure ones out there that will maintain your clinical hours

I spent my final five years as the Clinical Lead for The Operating Department and had to complete bank work and cover shifts to ensure I did not lose my registration. Qualifications are hard work and it would be a shame to lose them.
Thank you, that's a very good point about maintaining registration, I hadn't even considered that. I'd still be screening and taking blood but have no idea if that's enough to meet NMC requirements, may give them a call and bring it up at interview