Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Mar 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
gemma-lou
Imagineer

gemma-lou's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
May need to cancel our holiday to NY

My husband has been having some issues going toilet lately and has been referred to the hospital for a camera to look into the bowl. He had the pre operation phone call this morning from the nurse and she explained that he will be put under general anaesthetic and can’t drive for 24hours. If they have to remove anything or do a biopsy he can’t fly for a few weeks incase if bleeding. They said they will make his appointment in two weeks for the operation. We fly to NY 3 weeks today.
He has holiday insurance with his platinum account with Lloyd’s. Our package is bought through love holidays.

Any guidance would be appreciated, completely out of my comfort zone here. He is more important then delaying the operation so being able to delay the holiday to summer instead of cancelling completely would be ideal, or should we just cancel and rebook?

Edited at 06:04 PM.
gemma-lou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Bubble123
Imagineer

I've been referred for the same & have been to the hospital.

I've had my appointment through for my pre op & appointment for camera too.

Are you sure it's general anaesthetic? I've not heard of this for the camera.

I've been told I can have sedation if I want, but have spoke to people who have had it with & without.

I guess they will discuss further at the pre op.

I was told they would remove any polyps if any & take a biopsy if needed.. again only sedation or not.

I hope he gets sorted quickly, I would hope all is ok & he'll be able to fly.
Old 20 Mar 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bubble123
Imagineer

Sorry can see you edited, I think I'd wait until the op, see what happens if biopsies are taken & he can't fly change it then.

But that's me.

You could always ring the company explain the situation & ask them what best to do, whether there will be a difference in cost, if you change now, or the week before after the op, when you know for sure.
Old 20 Mar 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
gemma-lou
Imagineer

gemma-lou's Reviews
Mobile

I thought it was sedation incase they needed him to move, maybe that’s what he meant, I wouldn’t do anything until we know for sure but could be literally days before we fly or even the day we are due to travel to the airport for the flight the following morning.
2008 - enclave suite - 2010 All Star Sport - 2017 Avanti Resort - 2018 Royal pacific and miami - 2022 Polynesian and Royal Pacific - - February 2024 family trip to Universal Dockside - November 2024 Universal Aventura & CSR DisneyWorld
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/signaturepics/sigpic28388_47.gif
gemma-lou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
gemma-lou
Imagineer

gemma-lou's Reviews
Mobile

Hope yours goes ok too my lovely
2008 - enclave suite - 2010 All Star Sport - 2017 Avanti Resort - 2018 Royal pacific and miami - 2022 Polynesian and Royal Pacific - - February 2024 family trip to Universal Dockside - November 2024 Universal Aventura & CSR DisneyWorld
Old 20 Mar 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Colonoscopies are very rarely done under a general as they are pretty standard procedures. I have them yearly (the joy of pre cancerous biopsies) and just have gas and air, they’re really not that bad. The worse thing is the prep the day before, make sure he’s near a toilet!

Yes there is a very slight risk of bleeding but it’s very very slight and even if it happens they don’t tend to do anything it’s more of a monitor and see thing. There’s really no reason not to go on your holiday, I’ve had 15 of these over the last 25+ years and other than a bit of trapped wind for 24 hours or so after I’ve had no ill effects (I have severe scaring on my bowel so that’s quite an accomplishment!)
Go on your holiday as planned absolutely no reason not too!

Any questions please ask, it sounds scary but honestly it’s not at all.
Old 20 Mar 19, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

If he is having a camera and biospys its under sedation and you can walk straight out. It isn't an operation and he will be ok. It's a very common procedure. Might pass a little blood but it's not serious I promise.

Hope his results come back ok.
Old 20 Mar 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bubble123
Imagineer

Yeah they offer sedation, if you have sedation you have to stay in hospital for a while after & can't drive home. If you don't have sedation you're good to go.

I'm leaning towards without.

I like to feel normal headed & know what's happening, but that's me.

I hope so too, thank you.

I would give them a call, explain what's happening & see what they say. At least then you know where you stand & you can be ready to make the call if needed & have a new plan after the procedure.

It might not be until you get home. I had Hospital last week, and have pre op next week then procedure in just under 4 weeks time from now. They originally said 5 - 6 weeks wait. I guess how it depends on Hospitals in your area & how urgent.

I hope it goes well for him too.
Old 20 Mar 19, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
gemma-lou
Imagineer

gemma-lou's Reviews
Mobile

Thanks for reply’s guys.
Very much appreciated 😊
Old 20 Mar 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Sally42
Imagineer

Mobile

Good luck to to your Dh.
We've just cancelled out holiday in August as I've been diagnosed with bowel cancer. I had my surgery last week but feeling pretty grotty and at least I dont have the pressure of having to be fit for the holiday. X
Sally42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List