Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Mar 19, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
captjack
Trying for More Ears

I believe it is still the case that the ‘back street ‘ garage would have to be vat registered to stamp the service book so it doesnt affect the warrenty.
When I had my garage I always used genuine parts ordered from the main dealer against the registration of the car I was servicing so it was on thier system that those filters were fitted to that car, however legally the warrenty wouldn’t be affected if the garage used aftermarket filters as long as they were up to manufactor specs eg. Fram or mann filters as most of the times these companies made the filters for main dealers and then just printed the logo on.

Edited at 08:40 AM.
captjack is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

To keep the manufacturers warranty you can use any garage that has access to the Manufacturers service sheets. Most garages computer systems can do this. They then service the car using genuine manufacturers parts, and either stick on the labels or staple the box flap with the part no on the service sheet or in your service book.

I use Toyota service for my car from the main dealer.
They offer two service prices. One with OEM genuine parts, and one with third party parts which are cheaper. Once the wattanty is up I would go for the third party parts.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
I'm guessing a 2nd service is an oil & oil filter change (I don't know which model you have).

If so it could be she is explaining the terms of your extended warranty require you to have the more expensive service. She'll know these things inside out (hopefully).

For perspective our AUDI service like that is Ł300 (depending on the type of oil), our Volvos are Ł350.

I would ring around a few main dealers for their prices. Even if they have 'fixed menu pricing' you may find a dealer running a promotion.

We also check prices for servicing, sometimes the difference runs into hundreds. Well worth a train ride.
Ł300 for an minor ie/oil change service, seriously shop around i get mine, an A4 done at an independent for @Ł120 even a major service is less that Ł300!

Mr Tom is correct as usual, any garage can service a car with OEM parts/oil grade and not invalidate the warranty..
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFairy
Apprentice Imagineer

I agree with several posters on here that you are able to use a mechanic of your choice but with genuine parts for the make of your car. Our current mechanic is well up on industry legislation but in would ALWAYS check the terms and conditions of my warranty to be sure...

My dd works for fords and even with her discount we can get our cars sorted at a more competitive price shall we say ... even the parts ... the mark up is phenomenal !

Xx Ff xX
FloridaFairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I thought long and hard about this ref the Mondeos I used to drive.
They were circa 3 months old when I bought them so under the 2yr warranty when the service was due.

The main Ford dealer was silly prices but right next door to them was Rapid Fit who used Ford parts and their prices were half of the dealers.

I'm not sure if this is correct but my Mate who worked at Ford said the dealer has it's prices set by Ford UK with local variations but Rapid Fit being independently franchised could set its own prices.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Am I right in saying warranties remain in force even if done by a back street garage as long as the branded parts are used?
Use Unipart ones though for example and it becomes invalidated.
No they do not have to be branded but of equivalent standard.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Fra
Trying for More Ears

As long as the parts are at least OE Quality then your warranty is fine.

Delphi brake components for example are at least OE quality and in a lot of cases are what are branded GM/Ford/etc.

I take all my cars to the local garage even though one of them has a 'lifetime warranty'.

The GM Lifetime warranty actually states that parts of OE quality are fine to keep the warranty alive.

Main dealer servicing is IMO overpriced and a lot of the technicians get paid to find faults as well hence why a 'free' visual healthcheck is done. I just take what they say and get my local garage to do it or laugh at how my brakes which haven't been changed since the last service (despite recommending a change) don't need replaced this year.

(I have a crazy cheap service plan which is the reason our cars go to the main dealer for servicing).
Fra is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Most of what has been said is correct, under the block exemption regulations independant garages may repair and service a vehicle under the manufacturers warranty, provided the schedule set by the manufacturer is followed and OE spec parts are used. Only V.A.T registered garages are covered. Having said that, if you buy a used car that is covered by a dealers warranty then you must use the dealer to keep the warranty valid. Quite often a dealer will sell a nearly new used car and put their own Manufacturer approved warranty on it to keep the customer in their workshop.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Everyone seems to have jumped down the method and parts used for the service which wasn't really the OP's question.

Looking at the OP's original question:

Firstly you need to understand what is part of the Motorcraft service. It may well be the basic service which is just an oil change and some inspections.

Looks like it is just the interim service items ford/owner/service...raft/servicing

The manufacturer then has a schedule of items which need servicing on a mileage or age basis which may well be in addition to items in the Motorcraft service. For example, most manufacturers expect the brake fluid to be changed every 2 years, spark plugs if a petrol every 4 years etc. None of which are in the Motorcraft service.

Also something to clarify, you say second service, is this the second service for the car (as in it is 2 years old) which would be odd if you have an external warranty, or the second service since you bought it and the car is more than 2 years old?

Effectively, you need to do everything that the manufacturer schedule says needs to be done for that year / mileage combination. That work can be done at any VAT registered garage using OEM equivalent parts. Warranties that forced you to use a particular dealer are not legally binding (as of 2013).

Manufacturers added other services which only remain valid if serviced in the dealerships to try to retain people. For example Mercedes offer their recovery service free (Mobilio) if it is dealership maintained. So you may want to check for anything like that.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
simbamad
Imagineer

simbamad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Everyone seems to have jumped down the method and parts used for the service which wasn't really the OP's question.

Looking at the OP's original question:

Firstly you need to understand what is part of the Motorcraft service. It may well be the basic service which is just an oil change and some inspections.

Looks like it is just the interim service items ford/owner/service...raft/servicing

The manufacturer then has a schedule of items which need servicing on a mileage or age basis which may well be in addition to items in the Motorcraft service. For example, most manufacturers expect the brake fluid to be changed every 2 years, spark plugs if a petrol every 4 years etc. None of which are in the Motorcraft service.

Also something to clarify, you say second service, is this the second service for the car (as in it is 2 years old) which would be odd if you have an external warranty, or the second service since you bought it and the car is more than 2 years old?

Effectively, you need to do everything that the manufacturer schedule says needs to be done for that year / mileage combination. That work can be done at any VAT registered garage using OEM equivalent parts. Warranties that forced you to use a particular dealer are not legally binding (as of 2013).

Manufacturers added other services which only remain valid if serviced in the dealerships to try to retain people. For example Mercedes offer their recovery service free (Mobilio) if it is dealership maintained. So you may want to check for anything like that.
The car is 2 years old and I've owned it just over a year. Its a 17 reg which I bought January 2018. The first service on it was due/done maybe a couple of months after I got it. I hope that makes sense, I'm useless at explaining myself.