Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Mar 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmaabb
Earning My Ears

Best Way to Book Flights

So finally after several years of trying to get to Florida - we have agreed as a family that next August will be the year we go! (We could at a push go this year but having it left it so late - I think we will pay through the nose for it!)

So I am determined to get ahead of the game and have a planned approach to get us the best holiday at the best prices!

We are going to try and do it all independently - we are 4 adults and 5 kids (4 teens and a 5 year old) so I am thinking to book flights first, then look for accommodation (off site/ villa probably)

So my first question is this; What is the best way to book flights?
Do I go through a travel agent?
Do I go directly through the main airlines websites?
Do I wait for airline sales or just book as soon as I can?

Airlines I know to look at are Virgin, BA, Thomas Cook and Thomson - any others to throw into the mix?

Also in terms of airports - presume I am looking at Orlando and Tampa for closest options. Is Sandford an option (only want direct flights from London)

We will be able to be flexible on dates to an extent within school summer holidays (only restriction is being back by GSCE results day)

What other advice would you give someone booking flights for the first time?

Grateful for any help offered
thanks
Emmaabb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I almost always book flights by first using Kayak or Google Flights or similar to do a search for flights around the dates I want to fly. Sometimes I'll set up an alert (so they'll email me periodically with flight prices), sometimes I'll just keep checking back, as flight prices can fluctuate wildly over time.

When I see a flight price I'm happy with and want to book, I'll usually go to the airline's website and do a search there and see if I can get the same flight. I almost always book directly with the airline (don't like using a travel agent as I find them an extra layer of hassle if I want to change flights or book seats etc).

If you're happy flying indirect, you might find much better flight prices with airlines like United and Delta too...

Oh and flight prices really fluctuate wildly depending on time of year and all. I've managed to get great prices on flights booking about 1-2 months before flying. But I am an atypical Dibber in that planning a WDW holiday more than a couple of months in advance feels strange...
Old 21 Mar 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post

We have done DIY loads of times but have just been family of 2A+2C. We went as a group of 8 last summer (7A +1C) so I used Travel Planners, never used a TA before. They found us great prices for flights and cars and more importantly a big villa. They gave us lots of options re airports, airlines, direct, indirect etc. They should be able to give you a rough price and idea of flights etc, you don't have to book with them, just get them to do the leg work for you.

When we are a small group I usually book flights myself first then look for a villa. Work out what your budget is and is everyone happy to pay that price and everyone needs to commit to paying that, you don't want to book it then people drop out.

I booked this summers hols myself as there are just us 4 going, booked flights in Sept/Oct 18 Delta/Virgin sale then found villa myself but only booked this at Christmas. I also booked LHR long stay carpark and Premier Inn night before as soon as I booked flights as so much cheaper.

Set some alerts on Skyscanner for dates when they become available. I found our flights as followed a thread on here and booked as soon as I like the price. Also look at flying into other airports, we use Tampa alot as so much easier than Orlando MCO, it's a 90 min drive to I-4/Hwy 27 junction in Kissimmee, arriving domestic on indirect you just walk off plane and collect bags, straight out of airport.

As a guide for you, we have paid £1,532 LHR - JFK-Tampa (3A + 1C) inc SUV July/Aug, paid extra to upgrade car to similar to what we have at home, booked through Expedia.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I almost invariably DIY and generally purchase at around the 300 day point for my return flight. As you have already suggested, for me it is flights, then Villa, then the other stuff, but bear in mind that you will need a car and that sometimes BA have some brilliant flydrive deals.
Also be aware that a Norwegian return deal is simply the adding of the out flight to the return flight and thus you lose nothing by booking individual legs. They tend to release at 355, but the prices tend to remain stable.

For research and setting you on your way to the answer to your question, go on Google Flights.

Search on a 1 way Gatwick to Orlando for one person. Clearly you cannot get next August, other than with package operators such as TUI and TC., but you can look at this year for trends.

When your flight comes up, the toolbar just above can give you..
a) A bar chart of the cheapest flight on that route, every day from tomorrow to plus 330 days from now.
b) A one click of best prices on that chosen date from all nearby departure airports.
c) A one click of best prices on that chosen date to all nearby arrival points.
d) All the normal filters.

Do the same on a return flight.

Now try for a round trip, using what you have just learned through research.

This does not mean that Google Flights gives the best deal, merely that they (IMHO), provide the best search options. When it comes to booking, I then try the same flights with Kayak, Skyscanner, Opodo etc etc... and then direct on the Airlines own website. More often than not, the airline works out cheapest, particularly if you phone them.

You now have a good idea of the best days of the week for both out and home.. At a rough guess, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. From LGW, You may have picked up an oddity, such as cheap deals to Tampa or Sanford. It is worth remembering that whilst Orlando may be 25 mins from your accommodation, Sanford and Tampa may not be much further. You may even start looking at Fort Lauderdale or Miami if the savings are big enough!

Now is the time to get a feel for the research.. whilst patiently waiting for around September.

VILLAS

Clearly there are loads on this brilliant forum. I have also had some good deals on Holidaylettings.co.uk I would start the research on this around now.

Hope it helps.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:31 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmaabb
Earning My Ears

Thanks all, excellent advice and just the kind of suggestions I was after. Much appreciated
Emmaabb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List