Notices

View Poll Results: Frequent or luxurious?
I can afford it so I go often and luxurious both 70 16.71%
I can't afford both so I prefer to go more often on a budget 213 50.84%
I can't afford both so I prefer to go less often and have luxury 136 32.46%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Feb 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

I would rather wait & have luxury in general although i would happily stay at all the value resorts in Disney as i believe all Disney resorts are good!
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Being a 55 year old unattached secretary (which doesn't pay brilliantly) a weekend away in the UK is a luxury to me. So less often and luxury for me.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
This one is a hard one to answer as peoples definitions of luxury will also differ a lot too.

We only do one abroad family holiday per year and that usually a budget one I guess. As a family of 2 adults 4 children a week in Spain for summer holidays for us can cost around 4-5k.

Last year we spent 3 weeks in SE Asia, the year before Spain and the year before that Florida. I think on a standard normal summer holiday I wouldn't want to spend more than 4k, is that a budget holiday? It probably is, I looked at a 11 day Disney cruise for us this August which was 14k that is what I call luxury but something I wouldn't consider as I couldn't justify that cost.
'Only' one abroad family holiday per year is a luxury to many people.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post

I've always said I'd stay in a box if it was a case of going or not going...I think most people on here are lucky in that we have been or are going to Florida at all. We go quite often,sometimes staying in a nicer hotel like The Renaissance,not luxurious but lovely,and other times in The Clarion,a budget hotel,I get just as much out of both hotels and have an equally good time in them both. I prefer to go as often as we can,with a not luxury Spanish holiday thrown in too.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
I think most people on here are lucky in that we have been or are going to Florida at all.
Never a truer word. Everyone knows how much a holiday there costs for a family of 4 in the most basic of accommodation so you should give thanks that you've actually been as it is out of reach for the majority of the population.

Problem I have with these types of threads is you have to bite your lip at one or two comments regarding 'lesser' areas/hotels from the usual suspects.

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

What about those of us that can 'afford luxury' - but actually choose budget?
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
Problem I have with these types of threads is you have to bite your lip at one or two comments regarding 'lesser' areas/hotels from the usual suspects.
It doesn't matter if you consider the Yacht Club budget or a motel on I-Drive luxury - the definitions are all in your own head. I'm not asking anyone to compare themselves with other people just to say how they think of spending their own budget. Do you spend to the max but go less often or stick to a sensible budget and go more often?
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
It doesn't matter if you consider the Yacht Club budget or a motel on I-Drive luxury - the definitions are all in your own head. I'm not asking anyone to compare themselves with other people just to say how they think of spending their own budget. Do you spend to the max but go less often or stick to a sensible budget and go more often?
I know you're not asking that, but it does bring out *some* totally unnecessary comments that would certainly belittle people who aren't lucky enough to stay at high end properties (even if unintentional)

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I voted less often and luxury. Because I will always look for the better hotel, the better Lodge, the one with the spa, with the swimming pool etc.

But we do UK city breaks in premier inn’s A couple of times a year as well. Hoping to be able to squeeze in a late deal this year, cheaply all inclusive. But Florida will be a few years away.

If planning a holiday, then we always put it off until we can do it properly (we don’t include a late deal in this. There’s no planning involved &#128514.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I was the one quoted at the start of this really good thread and am more than happy with that as it has stimulated a really thought provoking discussion.

I would agree with the comment re 'what is luxury?' In the context of it being subjective. To many people, any Florida and even any abroad would be construed as luxury. To others, luxury starts at Club level flights and AKL accommodation.

I am fantastically fortunate to have visited the US 10 times as of this year since 2005 (with Cyprus, Italyx2 and a few Canaries thrown into the mix), particularly as there are 4 of us travelling. I must add that our cars are 56 and 57 plated and that for 50 weeks of the year, we never go out drinking, rather just a restaurant meal every 3 months or so. We live in a nice house with just a little mortgage, both work, I also have a Police pension and are bringing up children of 16 and 12. We are fortunate also to live in a beautiful part of the country where much of our 'entertainment' comes free, given that we are 200yards from water, have fantastic beaches and own kayaks, cycles and stuff.

The reason for the comment (and I described myself as generally 3 star or Villa), was to differentiate between the following levels of Florida vacation.

1. my cheap(er) way to visit Florida with Economy flights and sometimes, indirects along with a modest car , a villa , mid range eating etc.

2. Club level or business class flights, Luxury on site accommodation with DDP, A large SUV and plenty of BBB, Character meals, Trainer experiences and stuff.

Doing option 2 would result in maybe a US vacation every 3 years as opposed to my almost annual visits. I am not for a moment suggesting that one is superior to the other or much less, right or wrong. I am not suggesting that my option one is cheapcheap either as many can only dream of doing option 1 every year (almost).

Loving the thread!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:59 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List