Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 26 Jun 19, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sunny1
Excited about Disney

we are planning on using Uber at night and our feet and the streetcars ? during the day

our hotel is on canal street nr the medical centre
sunny1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi so here are some of the restaurants we have short listed (so I have never been to any, but have extensively researched!)

They are a mix of cheap and cheerful and some fine dining. Absolutely no chains whatsoever.

Breakfast (probably): Mother’s, Elizabeth’s, Ruby Slipper Cafe, Willa Jeans.

Brunch (probably): Two Sisters, Sobou

Lunch: Commanders Palace (25c martinis ), Dooky Chase or Willie Mae’s, Bayona

Dinner: compère Lapin, Brennan’s, Emeril, Coops Place, Cochon

There are others which I put on and take off but that’s how it is today.

I predict zero possibility of us managing all of them in seven nights.
Old 26 Jun 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sunny1 View Post
can i ask do you mean avoid frenchman and bourbon street ? is it ok in the afternoon we don't plan on staying out all hours
Go to Frenchman Street it's how you probably imagine Bourbon Street whereas Bourbon Street is pretty scuzzy (last time I was there the whole road stank of a sewage probem for example) and home to a lot of very drunk people most of the time. Can be a lot of fun but you definitely need to be in that mood. On Frenchman Street we found one of the free jazz bars and hung out there, had a great time. DW disappeared mid-session to go for a voodoo reading but that's another story

I'll also re-iterate the recommendation of GW Fins for a fine dining restaurant choice, it is seafood so you need to like that but IMO is miles better than several of the places mentioned that we've eaten at. Was No.1 of 1500+ New Orleans tripadvisor restaurant when we first visited years ago probably in early days of tripadvisor! and it's still No.1 today which tells you something
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Following, because we have just booked a fortnight in February (not Mardi Gras). It’s a budget trip really, not In the holiday budget. But we found the sort of flights that are so cheap it would be rude not to go.

We may do a cruise for five nights because it makes the spending much less, but very happy to have a solid week in NOLA afterwards. There are SO MANY restaurants we want to visit!

Amanda has done some brilliant trip reports
Check out the parade schedule as even if not mardi gras day you stand a good chance of seeing parades!

I loved mardi gras!
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Go to Frenchman Street it's how you probably imagine Bourbon Street whereas Bourbon Street is pretty scuzzy (last time I was there the whole road stank of a sewage probem for example) and home to a lot of very drunk people most of the time. Can be a lot of fun but you definitely need to be in that mood. On Frenchman Street we found one of the free jazz bars and hung out there, had a great time. DW disappeared mid-session to go for a voodoo reading but that's another story

I'll also re-iterate the recommendation of GW Fins for a fine dining restaurant choice, it is seafood so you need to like that but IMO is miles better than several of the places mentioned that we've eaten at. Was No.1 of 1500+ New Orleans tripadvisor restaurant when we first visited years ago probably in early days of tripadvisor! and it's still No.1 today which tells you something
Argghhh you’ve just made my short list longer!
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Our hotel is by Mother’s (which seems to be a place people know where it is?).

Heading from FQ to Staybridge Suites and Le Méridien etc you can cut through Harrahs.
If out late would probably take a ride in a cab.
Only reason being it's a little bit of a rat run because the locals know tourists heading from FQ will be aiming for the CBD hotels.
Fine earlier on, but can be quiet later.
For what a cab costs it's worth it, even though it's a very short ride.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Caroian View Post
Definitely looking for top tips

Don't really have any tips over the books and website stuff but if you have any questions lots of Dibbers have been.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunny1 View Post
we are planning on using Uber at night and our feet and the streetcars ? during the day

our hotel is on canal street nr the medical centre
Canal Street is long and there are several medical centres but I guess you'll be close to FQ.
If you are using streetcars make sure you have enough small denomination notes or coins.

We found it easier to jump in a licenced taxi in and around FQ because of the traffic, they are all over the place, waiting outside bars, outside, hotels, or just in queues waiting to turn out of Royal St, Magazine St, Bourbon St etc.
Sometimes there are thirty cabs driving past so it's quicker than standing around waiting for an Uber to make it to you.

So far as walking, when we first went, we were told they call New Orleans a checkerboard city. We had no clue what it meant.
Unlike say NY where you are obviously in good areas or 'bad' areas, in New Orleans there are 'safe' streets running parallel with 'risky' streets, turn onto the wrong street, you'll probably first notice fewer bars, hotels, cafes, etc, thus fewer people about. Stick with the crowd is usually a good idea. If a street becomes mostly residential it's probably best to turn around.

When we stayed at Monteleone we got friendly with one of the doormen. He drew us a map with crossed out sections to be very careful, or just stay away from.
Guide books usually advise not to go beyond N Rampart St or cross over Esplanade. Day or night. Take guided tours into Louis Armstrong Cemetery No 1 etc, don't go unaccompanied.

We went without a tour but probably wouldn't advise it. We went to Treme, Tipitinas, and a few other places, really late at night, and walked back eating pizza. All fine but probably wouldn't do it again.

A lot of visitors won't take a cab from FQ to their CBD hotel because it's such a short distance, but I definitely would if out late.
Old 26 Jun 19, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Heading from FQ to Staybridge Suites and Le Méridien etc you can cut through Harrahs.
If out late would probably take a ride in a cab.
Only reason being it's a little bit of a rat run because the locals know tourists heading from FQ will be aiming for the CBD hotels.
Fine earlier on, but can be quiet later.
For what a cab costs it's worth it, even though it's a very short ride.
Cool thank you. We are I think practically opposite Harrah’s (?) but could be wrong. We are at Old 77 The Chandlery (because the rooms were 77$ a night and it looks awesome!)
Old 30 Jun 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Hi so here are some of the restaurants we have short listed (so I have never been to any, but have extensively researched!)

They are a mix of cheap and cheerful and some fine dining. Absolutely no chains whatsoever.

Breakfast (probably): Mother’s, Elizabeth’s, Ruby Slipper Cafe, Willa Jeans.

Brunch (probably): Two Sisters, Sobou

Lunch: Commanders Palace (25c martinis ), Dooky Chase or Willie Mae’s, Bayona

Dinner: compère Lapin, Brennan’s, Emeril, Coops Place, Cochon

There are others which I put on and take off but that’s how it is today.

I predict zero possibility of us managing all of them in seven nights.
Am sure you know but Commanders Palace is a formal dress place. We planned to go but Andy had only got smart shorts with him and they insist on trousers .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List