Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jul 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

What an experience! I’m pleased to hear she’s been treated well and is happy enough to stay at camp. That must mean she’s feeling ok.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I’d love to give an update about Katie and camp. But I can just say no news must be good news. She’s been gone 2 1/2 weeks and I’ve had about 3 very short happy sounding messages.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I’d love to give an update about Katie and camp. But I can just say no news must be good news. She’s been gone 2 1/2 weeks and I’ve had about 3 very short happy sounding messages.
Haha - I concur! I’m sure now I’m not ‘needed’ to deal with all the medical /insurance stuff I may hear less and less from Izzy!
Old 2 Jul 19, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Originally Posted by hermione25 View Post
Thanks for asking about Isabel. Unfortunately the operation was a little more complicated than they initially thought. At 8pm the camp director told us she was going down for surgery under a light anaesthetic and she’d text us in an hour or so when she was out. Finally, about 11pm we got a message to say she was in recovery, but still out of it, they’d phone us the next day. Cue the most restless worrying night I can remember for a long time.

The camp director stayed with her for the next few hours, then took her back to camp where she and the nurse put her to bed in the nurses station. They then both took her back to the hospital (an hour away from camp) for a follow up 12 hours later.

It would seem that after removing the first 3 wisdom teeth easily, as he cut to remove the problem one, he found what he thought was a tumour. This necessitated moving to a full anaesthetic and the reason to took 3 times longer. After removing the growth he told Isabel he believed it to be a 2cm cyst on her jaw, which she’d probably had for a year and had been infected for 3-4 months . It had destroyed the bone around it, and the nerve hence the numbness she’d been experiencing for 2 months. None of this had been evident in the UK when the dentist had done x rays and the doctor had done blood tests and a head CT.

Although the swelling was massive on Thursday when I finally got to speak via FaceTime, she could speak much better and said it was a huge relief as she now knew what the problem was and she felt like all the pressure had gone. She was still on 2 hourly antibiotics until yesterday but when I spoke to her then, she was amazing- swelling nearly totally gone and fully back into camp life! She said she’s still struggling a little with hard food but the transformation has been amazing. She was in the (air-conditioned) nurses room for the first 3 nights, pampered with treats and get well cards and couldn’t have been taken care off better if she’d been home!

It’s been very stressful but we’re over the worst now - just got our fingers crossed that when she goes for her follow up next week (taking her dental/medical insurance costs so far to over $4000 ) that the histology of the cyst shows nothing sinister. Our doctor here had already arranged a neuro referral, so that appointment is set for September should the numbness remain.

Although obviously not what you’d wish for, I couldn’t have asked for better care for her from everybody at CA head office, the camp and the medical professionals she’s seen and I am most grateful that they’ve really treated her as you’d treat your own child. Our own dentist did say - if you’re going to end up abroad needing oral surgery, other than maybe Japan, there really nowhere better than the US to get treatment!

Hope everyone else’s children are have slightly easier time - however when offered a flight home, Izzy wanted to stay, because despite everything she’s absolutely loving the experience
Oh no and I am glad things go well.. I know that feeling as I had 4 removed wisdom teeth at hospital. it was very painful. I am sure they are looking about your daughter.

i noticed that you have silver wedding soon if i am correct. So we in October x
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by HiddenMickey35 View Post
Oh no and I am glad things go well.. I know that feeling as I had 4 removed wisdom teeth at hospital. it was very painful. I am sure they are looking about your daughter.

i noticed that you have silver wedding soon if i am correct. So we in October x
Yes - snap! Congratulations to you

It’ll be our first Florida trip just the 2 of us. I know we’ll spend it talking about what the kids would’ve enjoyed

Our anniversary is actually 30th December so we fly out Boxing Day and are staying Club at the Portofino Bay until 1st January. Hoping New Years Eve on CitiWalk will be good.

Enjoy your celebrations. 1994 only seems a blink of an eye away, doesn’t it?
Old 3 Jul 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by hermione25 View Post
Yes - snap! Congratulations to you

It’ll be our first Florida trip just the 2 of us. I know we’ll spend it talking about what the kids would’ve enjoyed

Our anniversary is actually 30th December so we fly out Boxing Day and are staying Club at the Portofino Bay until 1st January. Hoping New Years Eve on CitiWalk will be good.

Enjoy your celebrations. 1994 only seems a blink of an eye away, doesn’t it?
Aww Congratulations to you both too

Just two of us are going to Miami for 2 nights then Cruise with Symphony of the Seas with USA friends for 7 nights after that we and 2 from USA are going to Key West for 4 nights then drive back to Miami beach for another 2 nights on 24th October as our Silver Anniversary is on 1st Oct.

I cannot believe this year already 25th! Have a great times at Orlando
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinkletoes47
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Just thought I would jump back on this post to let you know that we flew back from our hols today, took advantage of DS being near Chicago to visit Chicago and do most of Route 66 😃 but the best thing was visiting camp and being made to feel like visiting VIPs. We were made really welcome and arrived just after all the children had gone home so we met all the other consellors, the management team and the support staff as well as had a good look round camp - DS is at a small camp (it was huge!) with a river running through, lots of trekking and woods and activity areas. We saw his cabin that was (almost) spotless - suffice to say that was a shock 🤪 and they talked us through the routine and purpose of the camp. It was incredibly organised and happy - with all the international staff having settled in, even if they had initial jitters. It was really reassuring that all’s ok, they are well supported and happy - and even those that don’t really like snakes have learnt to tolerate them and recognise the poisonous ones to get help when needed - I think that’s good!

DRP 7 times to date!
Anaheim 1984, 1995, 2005
Miami and Kissimmee 1992, Highland Reserve 2011
Universal Cabana Bay, Disney Caribbean Beach, Miami, Key West 2015
New York New York Las Vegas 2016
NYC and Los Angeles 2017
Chicago to Vegas Route 66 Road Trip 2019
Twinkletoes47 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Hello everyone

How is all at the USA camping?

So far my daughter enjoyed it and she is proud to taught 16 children by herself at soccer at Iowa.

She is moving to Laconia, Minnesota this week.

another 3 weeks left for coming home
Old 15 Jul 19, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by HiddenMickey35 View Post
Hello everyone

How is all at the USA camping?

So far my daughter enjoyed it and she is proud to taught 16 children by herself at soccer at Iowa.

She is moving to Laconia, Minnesota this week.

another 3 weeks left for coming home
Only 3 weeks 'til your daughter is home You must be so excited!

My DD is gone 7 weeks now and not back for almost another 8 weeks

Hope all goes well in your DD's new location.
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by dismamx2 View Post
Only 3 weeks 'til your daughter is home You must be so excited!

My DD is gone 7 weeks now and not back for almost another 8 weeks

Hope all goes well in your DD's new location.
I hope you hear from your DD?