Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 27 Jun 19, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

We haven’t been since 2015 & my son had always had DAS as he’s blind, uses a cane & can’t queue in the Sun because of his condition. His disability isn’t hidden. I’m hoping he can still get one, the CM where great last time. We have an annual pass for DLP & with this we have the annual DAS with it.

Edited at 07:35 AM.
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by patjeff63 View Post
I don't need or require a wheelchair or electric scooter as my walking is fine and that for me would be a dishonest use of a disability piece of equipment. Could you imagine that sort of glares and unpleasant comments I could receive when getting up from a mobility piece of equipment and gaily walking about.
Please don't let other people's judgements put you off using mobility equipment; there's lots of reasons why people use wheelchairs or scooters and it is nobody else's business why that is. For example, my friend's son has severe autism. He can walk perfectly well but uses a wheelchair because it gives him a safe space (doesn't like anyone touching him) and also he puts on headphones and retreats when there's lots of people around so it's safer for him. I don't think there's any problem with that.

Others don't use a wheelchair at home, but have problems with the distances at Disney and find standing for protracted periods of time difficult; they might rent scooters. They can get out of their scooter and walk onto the ride no problem, but they still have a good reason for using one. No judgement from others is either valid or necessary.

If it hurts to stand, please reconsider using a scooter. You should put your needs first for your good, and the good of your family who would rather not have you in pain if a queue turns out to be longer than you thought.

It annoys me when others start thinking it's their business to judge why someone has a wheelchair or a blue badge; so many disabilities are hidden.

Go, and enjoy everything.

EC
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Thanks for the replies chmurf and mandco. I don't need or require a wheelchair or electric scooter as my walking is fine and that for me would be a dishonest use of a disability piece of equipment. Could you imagine that sort of glares and unpleasant comments I could receive when getting up from a mobility piece of equipment and gaily walking about. So from theses 2 posts I am quite upset and have now decided not to apply for das and won't attempt a ride (I don't do roller coaster rides anyway) and just enjoy what I can with my family and only attempt a ride with a definite v.short queue.
Hi.

Just wanted to say I don't think you need to not ask for DAS. No one can really say what they will and wont allow it for and I honestly think you have a reason to ask.

My sister uses a scooter as she couldn't stand for long periods of time but she also has walking issues. You do get looks when she gets up for rides etc but you get these all the time whether you use a DAS or wheelchair or anything! People always make judgements. I'm registered blind but can still see to get around and the amount of comments I've had around the parks is insane (including someone on Haunted Mansion bringing me to tears) but you have to accept that people are ignorant. I also got told in May when I went to a show that I should have a scooter in order to use the Disabled area. I pointed out that being blind and driving a scooter wasn't probably a sensible suggestion but I'd happily run over there kid if they wanted me to

Ask for DAS. The worse they can say is no but then you aren't in any worse a position than you are now. The Cast Members are really nice and will ask about why you need the pass. There are loads of reasons why queuing might be difficult and this is what DAS is for.
Old 27 Jun 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Loads of people use an ECV who can walk and stand. It is very common in the US parks. Yes, I have seen some judgmental comments from people who don’t understand. But it is very normal to see people getting off an ECV and walking or standing.

Please do consider using one - it may be the best solution for you.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

This is one thing you dont need to worry about in Disney. Over the many years we have been, I would say a massive proportion of people using scooters will park them up and walk on the ride.
Nobody will think twice, comment or give you a strange look, why? because nobody will have noticed as they are to busy enjoying their own holiday to care what someone else is doing.

Could you imagine that sort of glares and unpleasant comments I could receive when getting up from a mobility piece of equipment and gaily walking about.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you so very much for your positive viewpoints.

My late mum was wheelchair bound for years, and had had a stairlift - I sometimes used the lift when going upstairs ( pure laziness on my part) when I was looking after them. My old dad used to say with a smile on his face 'wait till your legs don't work, then you will be more than grateful for a lift upstairs and a wheelchair' in the meantime use the legs God gave you'. Never forgot it.
So my own conscience wont allow me to use a scooter/chair when I am capable of walking with of course sensible stops, when I know that wheelchair users would love to get up and walk about, but they cant.
I cannot change my own true self in that I would be abusing a genuine disability. I am sure some may think that my personal feeling on this is maybe silly or stubborn, but that's how I feel and I cant change how I feel. We all are individuals with differing outlooks on so many things.
Iv'e discussed the various comments with my son, who thinks I should still try and request a DAS and if it is decided by the CM I don't qualify for one, then I shall enjoy the rides I can comfortably and safely queue for. I will have the most enjoyable time watching DS and his new wife on their 1st time at WDW having the time of their lives.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

I don't need or require a wheelchair or electric scooter as my walking is fine and that for me would be a dishonest use of a disability piece of equipment. Could you imagine that sort of glares and unpleasant comments I could receive when getting up from a mobility piece of equipment and gaily walking about.
first of all, it's not a dishonest use.
You WILL take benefit of a device that will allow you to sit when you so require. And if you've been before, you know that sitting spaces, espceially in the shade, are something you sometimes have to fight for.

so, by no means would that be dishonest use (and if you rent a mobility device, you're not preventing anyone to get their own if they need it.

what about the looks when you get off your scooter and start walking ? yes, what about them ? who cares ? Don't let the looks of others get to you. Don't let the opinions of people get to you.
You have challenges in life, they don't live your life. If they're not happy about you enjoying your day at the park, under the best conditions, then that's their own problem

whatever will ease your pain is perfectly acceptable.

and you'll realise that many people will use mobility devices even though they do walk fine.

I'll speak for myself, when I get DAS for my son (or for myself) there is no visible disability. People will assume I'm just FAT, when being "big" is just the tip of my disabilities iceberg, and mainly a consequence of severe illness)

Do you think we never had looks when people hear us asking for a disability return
one guest made a remark aloud one day at MK, I yelled back "I'll give you my place in line if you take my disabilities, do we have a deal ? " ... the guy looked at his feet until I was out of sight. That's not anybody's people place to judge, or say anything about things they don't know about

Also don't let my remarks make you forget about DAS . For all you (and I) know, you might get it, especially if you mention you had it in the past (the CM will ask when that was)

My remarks were along the lines that, even if you have DAS, there may be times where DAS only might not be enough to help you through your pain.

I can absolutely relate to those pains. So I'm just giving the advice that, if you need to sit in lines, then any device allowing you to sit in lines is fair game. (sit in lines, or get the certainty that you'll get to sit, immediatly, when the pain starts to kick in. Because, if you're anything like me, when the pain kicks in, there is no walking 100 yards to the neaerst bench, and wait patiently for someone to accept to give up their sitting space.

Edited at 03:15 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Iv'e discussed the various comments with my son, who thinks I should still try and request a DAS and if it is decided by the CM I don't qualify for one, then I shall enjoy the rides I can comfortably and safely queue for. I will have the most enjoyable time watching DS and his new wife on their 1st time at WDW having the time of their lives.
I honestly think this is the best idea. I also think that if you did decide on the scooter option it wouldn't be you being dishonest. The hardest thing about these situations is having to admit you need that little bit extra. Its easy to say I know but believe me I have been there and been reluctant to ask for help. When I finally did ask for a DAS I realised I had been limiting myself for so long just because I cared what other people thought. Yes people still make comments but I also know that what I am doing is right for me and therefore that is what matters. There's no dishonesty in any of it and I don't think you would be being dishonest using a scooter at all. That said I completely get that in your head it would be so I think you've chosen the right option. I hope you enjoy your trip
Old 29 Jun 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Myself, I have scoliosis (twisted spine) and I now cannot stand up straight but lean forward from my waist. I can walk absolutely ok, but its difficult to stand still, queues etc for more than about 15/20 mins as I would desperately need to sit down. So I am hoping that I will qualify for the new system DAS pass. So with rides that had a queue time of more than a definite 20 ish min would be out for me. I had a disability pass in 2017 so fingers crossed.
Thanks for the replies chmurf and mandco. I don't need or require a wheelchair or electric scooter as my walking is fine and that for me would be a dishonest use of a disability piece of equipment. Could you imagine that sort of glares and unpleasant comments I could receive when getting up from a mobility piece of equipment and gaily walking about. So from theses 2 posts I am quite upset and have now decided not to apply for das and won't attempt a ride (I don't do roller coaster rides anyway) and just enjoy what I can with my family and only attempt a ride with a definite v.short queue.
Please don't let my post upset you I wasn't trying to put you off I was just pointing out the fact that there may still be a fair wait which may be an issue if you have issues standing so its something to be aware of as a lot of people assume das gets you straight to the front of the queue which is doesn't.

I would still ask if a das pass would be of any use to you the Cm will advise what they feel is most suitable - they may well suggest using a chair for mobility issues and that would allow you to use the wheelchair access line and if they suggest it then there is nothing to feel guilty about as that is what they have advised you to do but that would be your call as to whether or not you would be comfortable doing so.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List