Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 25 May 20, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
katy341
Imagineer

The Blake-woods: 'you couldn't make it up' trip! Day 8

Tuesday 20th Feb, 2018

After another successful nights sleep (I sleep so much better on holiday...but then I am shattered after a day in a park/shopping etc!), we got up fairly early, had breakfast in the villa and arrived at universal just before 9am.

I love the fact that they have maintained their traditional/classic car park names!

I always like to park in 'King Kong' ...no reason why other than I loved that ride (the original!) but today we were in 'Cat in the Hat'

We decided to head to Universal Studios today and save IOA for another day. Now, lots of people stick to just Disney on a first trip but I knew that Disney may not have been 'big' enough for the girls who are adrenaline junkies and I have so many memories at Universal (especially my favourite..E.T!) I didn't really think Tom would be all that interested but when it came to IOA, I know the girls would love it!

So... straight away, they spotted Rip Ride Rockit..I mean how can you not

so while they went to ride that, I explored with Tom and Chloe (who decided she wasn't quite ready for that!) and bumped straight into Gru!

He was fab! He kept taking Tom's cap off and putting it on backwards/sidewards much to Tom's amusement
We also bumped into Sponge-Bob! He LOVED Tom's T-shirt (which he made himself whilst in Majorca last year at our friend's hotel!)

The kids were both fancying whatever that gorgeous smell was...it was popcorn! they got a regular popcorn and a butter popcorn...regular was lovely. However the butter yuk! We watched the Sing it! show until Jason, Jess and Gracie were back from Rip Ride Rockit.
We then headed over to Springfield!

There are two things one must do whilst in Springfield...

One is to drink Duff! Jason bought me one in a souvenir tankard!

The other is to share one of these bad boys...

I say share because can anyone manage this alone?!

I spotted the Delorean ! I know times move on and although the Simpsons ride is good, to me its just not the same and I miss Back to the Future!

I was really nervous as Tom wanted to ride the Simpsons but I know what he's like and though this is going to end in disaster! - It didn't! Although he clung on to me with a deathly grip and his face suggested he wasn't enjoying himself he loved it! He told me he doesn't mind being 'knocked about' but HATES the 'tummy feeling' so will ride anything that doesn't give him that feeling!

We were getting very hot and because we had snacked on popcorn and enormous donuts, we weren't hungry for lunch. We decided to get drinks and ice-creams and watch the Animal Actors show.
We got great 2nd row seats (on the end of the row so nobody in front!). Jason and I had commented on how quiet the park was... Mardi Gras was on so perhaps people were coming later in the day? Anyway, the show was lovely - all kids enjoyed it and I enjoyed the sit down. I had done more today than any day the entire holiday and I was feeling it! I had brought all medication with me (they didn't even glance at it upon bag check) so took my pills and enjoyed the 20min show!

We decided to head over to 'The Wizarding World of Harry Potter'. Now we know why the park is so empty... everyone is here!

It was crazy busy!
I was taking photographs of Diagon Alley when a (whatever you would call a universal cast member) member of staff approached me. She asked me if I was enjoying my day and of course I said I was She asked if we were staying onsite and had FOL passes? When I replied no, she handed me 9x FOL one-off passes she told me she was a manager and had 9 left. They had to be used today and only in Universal Studios (not IOA).
How lovely!

Jason and the girls went off to ride Escape from Gringotts. The wait time was 120min...they waited 5 Tom wanted to wander! He quite likes to just have a look at his surroundings and take it all in which is something us adults often forget to do, we just rush from one ride to the next don't we!

We waited 40min (well we didn't wait --- we were busy exploring) for the Dragon to breathe fire... nothing! We didn't see or hear it the entire time we were in there! perhaps there was a problem?! anyway...still the atmosphere was great even for me who isn't a big fan of Harry Potter

The knight bus driver was fab and the Dre head was even funnier!

After leaving Harry Potter, we walked around to Jaws! awwww... I really am a sucker for nostalgia I hate change anyway but to not have Jaws there...

Have you even been to Universal Studios if you haven't had a pic with Jaws taken?!

Next up was Fast and Furious! (now bearing in mind this trip was Feb 18 so the ride wasn't open for another 2months yet!) but Jason enjoyed seeing the cars and posing with Vin Diesel

We had walked the entire park in a loop and was now back to the beginning
We planned on using the remaining FOL passes for Despicable Me which was the other ride in the park that had a crazy wait time --- 75min!
Whilst waiting the 5min in the queue, we realised we only had 5 tickets left and we needed 6! not thinking that Jason and the 3 girls used 4 of the 9 up for Gringotts...as we were having the discussion whereby I announced I would leave and let them 5 ride, the staff member said it wasn't a problem and to enjoy the ride ahh how lovely! I was so appreciative!

Thumbs up all round for this one and suddenly, for the first time in forever! (wrong park Kate!) I WAS STARVING!

We headed over to Mel's Drive in!

The food consisted of the usual theme park fayre but whether it was the first meal I could swallow without screwing my face up or what, it was gorgeous!

Tummy's full and after a much needed rest, we wandered a few gift shops and waited for Mardi Gras...we weren't planning on staying today for this but I felt okay so why not!

Before long, the sun had set and Mardi Gras was in full swing! we positioned ourselves around a bin the reason was that nobody could get in front of us or push in...we stood behind it and the kids were in front of it... it worked well judging by the amount of beads we caught

The parade really was fab! I'm glad we stayed

The day was catching up on us all and we were hot, sticky and shattered! Time for home and a late night dip in the pool

On the way out, we noticed how busy City Walk was, I would love to spend some time there on a child free trip (one day Kate, one day)
I had forgotten how stunning Universal is at night

A great day was had by everyone...

katy341 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
kaydee
Apprentice Imagineer

I read your other days...I’m so glad you’re feeling better and had such a good day!
That was so lucky getting the front of line passes and very much deserved after all you’ve been through.
I’m looking forward to hearing more and hoping you stay well x
Old 26 May 20, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I'm so glad you were feeling better now. Sounds like a great day today. The fotl passes make s huge difference don't they?
We didn't eat much food in universal, I think only a pink doughnut and maybe a corn dog, so it's interesting to hear the burgers were good.
Ivegottadream is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Ilovesnowwhite
Imagineer

A giant doughnut for breakfast is the law lol I'm with Tom love to wonder while other ride the fast rides
A wonderful day guys
xx
Old 30 May 20, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm so glad you were feeling better today. You managed to get loads done and it sounds like you had a fantastic time.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List