Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 28 Jan 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Fly day before

We have our 2nd Disney cruise booked on Sunday the 6th December.

I am starting to look at flights and I have found some at the right price.

We can arrive in Tampa on the Thursday, Friday or Saturday for the same price, I really like the idea of flying the day before, airport hotel and straight to port.

However I realise this gives no flexibility if for any reason we miss the flight etc, weather can be bad in December etc.

It seems a faf to have a day or so before with the added cost of hotel nights etc, but we really don’t want to miss the boat!

What would you do?
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We always fly in a minimum of two nights before a cruise (if making our own booking). As you say, flying in the day before gives you no wriggle room if there is any kind of delay - and we’ve had a few over the years!
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Always a min of 2 nights thanks to a hard lesson learned. We flew In the day before for our Alaska cruise and my suitcase didn’t arrive! It was a nightmare . So give yourself the extra day and night to relieve any stress
Or potential problems.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

We are flying out 2 days prior just to be sure. Always do. Just too much of a risk.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

So we have done the day before for most cruises and never felt worried but then again we've usually checked there are alternative flights available that would still get us there for port time such as checking Orlando, Miami and Tampa flights that could be an alternative if anything goes wrong. Yes it doesn't give you much contingency but it still gives you a bit
Old 29 Jan 20, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

For me any excuse to enjoy a couple more days of holiday never goes amiss! We are flying in four nights before our cruise from FLL this year.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We're sailing on RCI on a Sunday. Flying in on Friday as didn't fancy the risk being just Saturday.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Next time we sail on a Sunday, I'd orginally planned to fly on the Friday but now the Wednesday instead. Gives us plenty of time incase out flights cancelled or there's a luggage issue, there's to do in the area so we'll have a busy few days then relax on the cruise.
If I had no other option I'd do the day before but it would worry me.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We build in 2 nights if cruising first before going on elsewhere.
Last time we hopped onto the train up to West Palm Beach for the day , as it was the weekend we could hop on and off the train all day for $5 , lots of the stations had markets or farmers markets in the station car parks.
I’d avoid the day before unless there were some decent indirect options later in the day to get us there on time.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thanks all, I knew i was punching it!

Going to book Thursday so will have a few days spare, looking like Miami arrival so will take a slow drive north to port Canaveral over the spare days.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List