Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Apr 11, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Thumbs up DIBB Advertising Information

Hi,
We have had some recent questions about the advertising we use on the DIBB. I'd like to try and explain the advertising we use and some ways how you can tune the ads shown to you.

note:
The DIBB is an independently run web site, we have advertising displayed on our site from various different companies. These companies do not have control or influence over the content or running of this site.

In the ideal world we would not have advertising here on the DIBB, however running the DIBB is an expensive and time consuming operation. Although we do it for the fun and our love of Florida and other Disney destinations, we do have to run the DIBB as part of our overall business.

The DIBB site is funded by the subscriptions we raise from our DIBB AP Holders and the advertising we have on the site.

Advertising banners and links are in various places on the site.

The advertising take one of these forms:
  1. Pre-Paid Banners
  2. Affiliate Banners {theDIBB no longer displays these banners}
  3. Advertorial
  4. Affiliate Links
  5. Pay-Per-Click Banners

Pre-Paid banners are where an advertiser pays us a fee up front for displaying their advertising banners. We make a point of only accepting pre-paid banners from companies that match the content of this site and have products that we think the members of this site would use.

Affiliate Banners are banners that display from an affiliate marketing company. These type of banners only pay a fee if someone clicks the banner and then goes on to makes an actual purchase.

As of 2012 the DIBB no longer uses Affiliate Banner advertising.

Advertorial is where an advertiser pays us a fee up front to display some paragraphs of text along with graphics in a pre determined position, such as the home page. Advertorial content is supplied by the advertiser.

Affiliate Links this is where certain words or links posted within the site are automatically converted to coded links. The DIBB gets paid a small percentage fee each time someone makes a purchase from one of these links.

Pay-Per-Click (PPC) banners With these banners we get paid a small fee if someone clicks on the banner and visits the site the banner is advertising. These banners mainly come from Google and we only have a very limited control over what google displays, ie we can deny certain categories, such as gambling or adult content.

Google will display different adverts to different members based on what google knows about that particular member. So if you mainly visit perfume and makeup sites, google may display adverts relating to perfume and make up to you. Someone else that visits Car sites may get ads relating to Cars and someone who mainly visits holiday sites may get holiday adverts.

You can influence what Google shows you, not just here on the DIBB but on every site that displays google ads.

If you go to this link you can switch off categories that google thinks you will be interested in.

google/ads/preferences/view

Note: It's worth visiting this link often as google will add more categories once you have removed some.

I hope this has answered some of your questions you may have about our advertising.

Regards
Stu
Old 28 Apr 11, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Nettings
Imagineer

Nettings's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 10

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Thanks Stu.

I raised a question about this - just because

1. I'd not noticed it happen before and

2. because some of the banners looked "dodgy" .

But now I understand its all above board and nothing to do with my computers set up or such like, I'm perfectly happy. I was just worried I'd got rogue banners that were going to cause my computer problems (ie. a virus) if I clicked on them by mistake.

Thanks for explaining!

Sue
Nettings is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 11, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post

I agree with the above and also thank you for explaining
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 11, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Heck, we should have been clicking away to raise some money
Old 28 Apr 11, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Dippy Dog View Post
Heck, we should have been clicking away to raise some money
Nice idea but unfortunately google can detect genuine visits from those just clicking more than once
Old 28 Apr 11, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Stupid google
Old 28 Apr 11, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
That certainly explains why the banners show things I like! Quite clever really. Keep getting Jessops, plus flights easyjet etc! Google knows me so well!

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 11, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Nettings
Imagineer

Nettings's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 10

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
p.s. when I said "dodgy" I didn't mean dodgy I meant they looked like false adverts
Nettings is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 11, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Purplelady1
Excited about Disney

I am so glad you posted this!

I thought it was just coincidence that there was a banner for a company advertising blinds at the top of the page! I thought everyone had the same thing!
Purplelady1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 11, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Jammy31
Apprentice Imagineer

Jammy31's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 24
Guidebook Reviews: 4
Thank you for posting this. I did wonder, because I saw an advert for Wrestlemania on the 3rd Of April, even though it was the 28th ! But now I know its Google, I can go change it Thank you

Jammy31 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread