Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Aug 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile 45 years old -should I worry about this?

Hi all!

I’m now 45 years old and I’m constantly worrying about my memory - everyone says it’s normal, and probably because I’m always worrying about other people.

My line of work means that I am involved in the lives of several people at once, and then come home and am sorting out the family as well.

I never forget things people have told me about their lives/problems etc, but unless I put appointments or jobs to do in my phone diary, then I literally would forget to do anything! I rely on my phone to tell me where and when I have to be each day!

I’m generally worried about this (although I do wonder whether part of its down to becoming so reliant on my phone to ‘remember’ things, that my brain isn’t being used, and therefore it’s a vicious circle?) - but the main reason for posting is that I used to be a fantastic speller (it was the one thing I would say i did well and if you asked me to spell something I would know immediately and I’d be right), but now almost every time I type, I end up at some point using the wrong word - the number of times I’ll post something on here and then read through what I’ve written and have to edit it due to using the wrong version of a word. I’ve just this minute typed a text to a friend and have written ‘ I think I will soon need to where glasses’! Now I know full well I should of typed ‘wear’, so why didn’t I?!

Does anyone else suffer from this? Is it an age thing? I am beginning to feel like I’m going slightly loopy! ☹️
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m 42 and my memory definitely isn’t what it used to be. I have to write literally everything down at work and I mean everything. If I don’t it doesn’t get done! Weird thing is I can remember things that happened 20 years ago! 😐
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I feel your pain. Like you I’m fine at work (I’m sure it’s because mentally I know I have to be focused), but at home juggling the 4 kids & our numerous appointments/clubs, I rely on my calendar (albeit old-fashioned hand written). I seem to experience a lot of mind-fog at home. For example, my son’s football training has always been the same 2 evenings & time, but just recently I had to ask him what time he needed to be there at - I couldn’t think for the life of me! So I write everything on my calendar. I know that if my phone rings & I get asked about my availability for a particular date, I always consult the calendar as my mind otherwise goes blank. So I’m with you all the way on this.
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm the same on spelling and think I've just gotten lazy with auto correct..

As for remembering family dates I think we're so used to technology in our working lives we just need to make records, even in a paper diary for regular stuff.

What I'm trying to say is we sound the same... Hopefully normal 😜
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm getting to this stage now and I'm 40. I too worry because it seems to have crept up on me. I have a fairly stressful job then come home and have to do all thinking and planning. I have calendars up on walls and everything in my phone to keep me right.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

I am also 45 and my memory is shocking. I am not sure if it’s because I am premenopausal? I will ask friends things and they say that I asked them that last week! I chat with other mums at school, stand with the same bunch each day and they have said their names & ages but I have totally forgotten. It’s quite embarrassing some times to be honest. I do worry about repeating myself.
I wouldn’t be surprised if I have asked the same questions over & over on here.
If I don’t write a list when I go shopping I have no idea what I need and I constantly make notes on the go or I will just forget.
I am hoping that’s normal at my age?
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ryles View Post
Weird thing is I can remember things that happened 20 years ago! 😐
I’m exactly the same! Particularly song lyrics! A song came on the radio the other day that I literally hadn’t heard for 30 years and I knew it word for word - but ask me what I did yesterday I draw a total blank!

I now get irrationally excited if I remember something that DH can’t, as he doesn’t seem to be remotely effected (despite being the same age), but I guess he isn’t organising the household as well as his work! 😂

Thank you everyone for your reassurances - it’s made me feel better (although of course, I’m now worried for you all too! )

Edited at 10:17 PM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
It’s very common in women of a certain age - there are several of us at work with the same issue! I was chatting to a lady I had worked with for over 25 years a few weeks ago, if you had offered me a million pound I wouldn’t have been able to tell you her name - it was at least 2 hours later before I remembered!

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post

I don’t think you should just accept it, you are pretty young to be losing memory. But I think the mind needs exercising as much as the body, why not get an app that stretches the mind and do it daily, I got one called elevate, not particularly recommending it as there are others but it is the type of thing I am thinking of.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mine disappeared when the menopause started , I’m shocking with names .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List