Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Aug 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

This might be common knowledge to frequent travellers to the US who change currency and to those who work in the industry. For everyone else it’s not “common knowledge” and this post is very useful. Everyday we get posts here from newbies who have never been to the US and this post would be very helpful. I don’t know why some took it as an opportunity to essentially call the OP a fool in not so many words. If everyone on the forum possessed all “common knowledge” and everyone was an expert there would be no need for a forum at all! The OP won’t make the same mistake again, just like people who leave the car rental counter without checking for a 0 on their receipt, but coming back here to report their experience saves the next person from getting stung.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Turtles
Proud to wear my Ears

Am I right in thinking to get the better rate online there is a minimum spend, so if you only want to exchange a small amount you have to go instore?
Turtles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Originally Posted by Turtles View Post
Am I right in thinking to get the better rate online there is a minimum spend, so if you only want to exchange a small amount you have to go instore?
No minimum spend however if you change over £500 the rate is better!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
This might be common knowledge to frequent travellers to the US who change currency and to those who work in the industry. For everyone else it’s not “common knowledge” and this post is very useful. Everyday we get posts here from newbies who have never been to the US and this post would be very helpful. I don’t know why some took it as an opportunity to essentially call the OP a fool in not so many words. If everyone on the forum possessed all “common knowledge” and everyone was an expert there would be no need for a forum at all! The OP won’t make the same mistake again, just like people who leave the car rental counter without checking for a 0 on their receipt, but coming back here to report their experience saves the next person from getting stung.
It's not just travelling to the US that the better online rate applies though? This is for any currency and for going anywhere.

I am quite sure most people, if not all, on this forum have travelled outside of the UK to Europe/Asia/somewhere that isn't the US where they needed to exchange currency - so yes, it is common knowledge.

It's a well known fact that most products are cheaper to buy online than it is walking up.
Old 14 Aug 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Originally Posted by stormflm595 View Post
It's not just travelling to the US that the better online rate applies though? This is for any currency and for going anywhere.

I am quite sure most people, if not all, on this forum have travelled outside of the UK to Europe/Asia/somewhere that isn't the US where they needed to exchange currency - so yes, it is common knowledge.

It's a well known fact that most products are cheaper to buy online than it is walking up.
This applies to most retail these days I work for a well known retail company who sells the same products online as in store,but we don't tell every customer who walks in what is cheaper online!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Quensabob View Post
This applies to most retail these days I work for a well known retail company who sells the same products online as in store,but we don't tell every customer who walks in what is cheaper online!
Exactly this!

It's like going to a Disney theme park, checking the price online but not pre-booking your tickets and then being surprised when you try and buy them at the gate and they are at a higher price! This is absolute common practice.
Old 14 Aug 19, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Everyone can whinge all they like - it is what it is.

The OP and others have unfortunately been caught out.

The big thing is the lessons learned form this - all of use that use these services.

Rate in store may be different.
Always ask for the rate.
Rates differ between products - cash, cards, TCs.

In this case, the FX person was just doing their job and offering the products available. To me there is no real grounds for complaint.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Well I’m still grateful for the OP for the reminder! And as it happens when passing Thomas Cook at lunch time I noticed they didn't publicise any of their rates even at the FX counter. It would be easy to get caught out if you weren’t wary. Money Saving Expert as usual has a great tool that highlights all the best rates in your area including order and pick up and postal ones.

It’s still best to get an overseas travel card they beat the nest rates. Again MSE has all the info
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sieborg
Swimming at the All Star Resort

Mobile

I previously bought my Dollars from the same branch two months earlier, checking online and asking at the counter what the rate was and got the same online rate 1.25.
This time I went in my lunch break and was a little distracted with an important call from work while I was getting served, I’m usually on the ball but a lapse of concentration cost me $50. Agreed lesson learned, but I still think it’s a very underhanded practice. And be honest who reads the full terms and conditions, 5% of people and that’s being generous.
This Forum in my opinion has become very judgmental at times with its comments.
sieborg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Ricky_Spanish
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

I ordered with Debenhams and got 1.1967 so $400 = £334.25. It said to collect 2 days later but I was passing the following day so chanced it and they had my order in. Also got a £5 off £20 spend voucher. I hate TC after they messed me around with booking some years back. I now refer to them as Thomas C(r)ook and wouldn't use them for anything, even if they paid me.

Edited at 05:08 PM.
Ricky_Spanish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List