Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Aug 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Captain Ethan
VIP Dibber

Mobile Flight cost dilemma

Hi I have just priced up 5 adult flights with Thomas Cook economy outbound and premium inbound and quoted £3k for end of August to September. Is this a good price? My dilemma is would I be best waiting for a fly drive option with another airline? Rather than purchase car hire separately? Thanks x
Old 22 Aug 19, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
fiona88
Excited about Disney

Depending on where from/to, but generally I'd say that's an alright price considering the premium inbound flight.

As for whether it's best to wait or not, it's pretty much your personal judgement as it depends on many individual factors, check sky scanner for dates around yours and decide what you're happy to pay, then keep an eye on your dates then if it hits your price book it, otherwise hold off and hope or wait until your idea of price vs actually going on that holiday changes.
Old 22 Aug 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Captain Ethan
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks will do. We would be flying in and out of LAX.
Do fly drive prices tend to work out cheaper in general or is it usually better to pay for separately?
Old 22 Aug 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Where are you flying out of?

We did Thomas Cook out of Manchester in a similar way this year (with a connecting flight from our local airport). That was economy out and premium back. Overall a decent flight, the cabin crew for the return were very good. Only thing I would suggest is that the economy IFE has a very small selection unless you pay to upgrade. We had a load of our own content so were fine, but just be aware.

Fly drives often work out cheaper, but only a smaller number of airlines do them. I would pay extra to avoid BA from a flight perspective, but they partner with Avis who are good. Virgin I'd consider, can't remember who they partner with as it was a while ago we last did theirs.

The price you have looks reasonable at £600pp average, you may do better with a fly drive, but price them both up first as it isn't always the case. Ours were booked fairly late (about 3 months out) and were around £800pp but that also included the extra flights to the regional airport and into Vegas and out of LA.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

The price (at a glance), looks about right. The difference in pr8ce between School hols and term time is not dramatic, like on the Orlando route.
As suggested, I would price up with car against without car. For an Jetta sized car, I would budget on £30 a day with CDW.

Are you looking at just LA or a proper West Coast driving trip? We found that into, say SFO and out of LAX does not cost much more than a simple return. Also, if SFO figures in your planning, you really do not need a car in SFO, thus saving you both on hire and horrendous parking charges (our 3 star was $75 per night).

Remember also that if you do not want to drive, but would like to see a couple of cities/locations, then internal flights are very cheap indeed.
As an example, we are flying San Luis Obispo to Seattle in the Easter hols..for £68pp via SFO. YOu can probably fly from LAX to any one of Seattle, SFO, San Luis Obispo, San Diego for very much sub £100pp as my recent research has shown.

Hope it helps.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Captain Ethan
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thank you all so much for your very useful detailed information. We will be flying out from Manchester. I will check out car prices and compare, last time we went and had a Dodge Caravan which was great for all our luggage and space so will no doubt go for this again.
We covered San Fran and surrounding areas on our last trip and are focusing more on LA, Santa Monica San Juan, San Diego, Buena Park and Anaheim. X
Old 23 Aug 19, 05:50 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We booked flights for the same time frame out to Vegas in economy then back from San Fran in premium. We paid a similar price, £600pp including seat selection for the economy leg then we also added the flexible charge to it as we were concerned that with booking so early and ds having health issues it was a bit of a gamble. Seemed like a good price to me at the time especially as I wanted to go direct.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Captain Ethan
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks danisleigh we would prefer direct so it appears to be a good price. Going to do my estimates today on car hire.
I was surprised that there’re no complimentary drinks in economy with Thomas Cook, for such a long flight. That’s an extra expense too. Guess I’ve got too use to Virgin!
Old 23 Aug 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Captain Ethan View Post
Thanks danisleigh we would prefer direct so it appears to be a good price. Going to do my estimates today on car hire.
I was surprised that there’re no complimentary drinks in economy with Thomas Cook, for such a long flight. That’s an extra expense too. Guess I’ve got too use to Virgin!
We always just take bottled water and soda on so literally a fiver...I guess if you buy alcohol onboard that adds up. We have hired a car from vegas to drop back at San fran 2 weeks later and it was £531 for a standard SUV.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List