Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 23 Aug 19, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Lighthouse Point- bit of fun.

Total speculation by me for fun, having heard about the surveys for international DVC recently.

Disney has recently bought a second DCL island (it's really a peninsular on a larger Bahamian Island) called 'Lighthouse Point'.

Now to me it would be a big draw putting a Disney hotel on this, with great amenities where you could have a 3 night stay. So for example, one cruise comes and drops off people, picks up the current residents and takes them back. Wow, I would book that with an Alunai type hotel on there. Disney needs something good to counter RCIs Coco Cay .

Imagine if they added in a DVC in such a place? Would you be tempted? Think the risk with it would be you had to pay for an expensive cruise to get there. I'd be booking it though with my points at least once if it were made.

Edited at 01:51 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
zavandor
Earning More Ears

Would it be legal to sell a Timeshare Cruise Ship? It would allow Disney to sell 50 years of future cruises getting the money now. A DVC Cruise ship, entierly bookable on points, with food, labor and other expenses paid by MF would complement well with a DVC at Lighthouse point. It might be more of a traditional timeshare, bookable only in fixed increments (like a week or so), including some days at sea and some days in the hotel. Cost per night very high but a better value than current exchanges and (some) people are happy to use points for those.

Chances of happening: zero. But since the topic is for fun, that's how I'd do it.
zavandor is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by zavandor View Post
Would it be legal to sell a Timeshare Cruise Ship? It would allow Disney to sell 50 years of future cruises getting the money now. A DVC Cruise ship, entierly bookable on points, with food, labor and other expenses paid by MF would complement well with a DVC at Lighthouse point. It might be more of a traditional timeshare, bookable only in fixed increments (like a week or so), including some days at sea and some days in the hotel. Cost per night very high but a better value than current exchanges and (some) people are happy to use points for those.

Chances of happening: zero. But since the topic is for fun, that's how I'd do it.
I suspect it would sell like hotcakes, even though it would be pricey. There's apparently a couple in existence.

Edited at 04:59 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Not sure this would float my boat (no pun intended).

I suspect it will be massively over priced, both cruise and stay elements and I would be unwilling to pay a premium for that.

Aulani is a great example of that, wonderful, fabulous hotel but so overpriced when not on points. I’d be just as happy (and have been just as happy) with other accommodation at a cheaper price point.

I’m also not sure I’d like the inflexibilty around dates (assuming they wouldn’t sail every day).

I suppose my final point is that I’ve not yet in my life stayed somewhere “island resort / all inclusive” as they simply don’t appeal to me personally.

So with all the above I really doubt we’d do it.
Old 23 Aug 19, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
And let's not forget they still can't sell Aulani. Very much a white elephant sales wise. I will say it's a stunning Resort but financially it must cause them some angst.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
And let's not forget they still can't sell Aulani. Very much a white elephant sales wise. I will say it's a stunning Resort but financially it must cause them some angst.
Is it still not sold out?!
Old 23 Aug 19, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Is it still not sold out?!
Karen. Still on sale direct. The financial chatter is it was a big mistake and the following is stopping sales.

Japanese economy still in poor shape
Wrong location for Japanese visitors
Lack of advertising
Annual dues too high
Incentives too low
Too far to travel and too expensive for East Coast Americans.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Karen. Still on sale direct. The financial chatter is it was a big mistake and the following is stopping sales.

Japanese economy still in poor shape
Wrong location for Japanese visitors
Lack of advertising
Annual dues too high
Incentives too low
Too far to travel and too expensive for East Coast Americans.
Wow. I didn’t realise. They had promotional materials everywhere when we stayed in 2017 and 2018 but I sort of blanked those out (as in I assumed it was the usual DVC marketing stuff not specifically for Aulani).

It’s clearly been designed with the Japanese market in mind including dual language in places, rice cookers in the units etc. But my observation (based on no data except my eyes!) is that there were a LOT of Japanese tourists elsewhere on Oahu but not many at Aulani itself.
Old 24 Aug 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

YT so sorry for going OT!