Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Kate and me at DLP February 2019 - day 3

Tuesday 19th February – Day 3 of Kate and me at DLP

Today we wanted to make use of the EMT at the studios, in fact we wanted to make sure we used the EMT every day!

I had only woken up a couple of times in the night which is pretty good as I managed to get a good sleep.

I got up at 6am and showered, then woke Kate up at 7.15am. On the walk into the Disney Village we saw some pretty large fish in the canal, although my photo of them isn't brilliant, hope you can spot the fish in the water!

We headed out to our ‘usual’ breakfast at NY Style Sandwiches, once again this was fab.

We decided that we should not have eaten in and that we should have got it to go, as even though we arrived at the park about 5 minutes before it opened the lines were huge. When we got through the turnstiles the queue for Crush was way back to the entrance…we stood there for 5 minutes and then decided it was not worth it.

We went over to Tower of Terror, hardly anyone was there.

This was pretty awesome and of course as everyone else was queuing for Crush we had very little wait.

Then we went over to Rock and Rollercoaster, this also had a posted wait time of 5 minutes and was a quick wait.

It was another fab coaster.

We checked out the times guide screens at the front of the park, these were handy as they gave us the times for the English versions of the shows.

I was trying to convince Kate it would be a good idea to go and see the stunt cars show, but she was having none of it. There are no boys with us so apparently that means she doesn't have to sit through a boring car show. I was doing my best to say that actually I think she would like as we enjoyed seeing it when it was at HS. This was a battle I did not win.

We went over towards Crush and the wait was at 70 minutes. Not today then, we promised ourselves that we would get the breakfast to go in the future and eat it waiting in the line for Crush. We went round the corner and Ratatouille was at 45 minutes. So, we decided it was time for us to do the Flying Carpets of Agrabah.

We enjoyed this little ride.

After we came off it was about 9.30am and so we headed over to Ratatouille just as they were opening up the FP machines. I hadn’t realised yesterday that even though the park hours are 10am to 7pm, they started opening other rides and the FP machines at 9.30.

Anyway the FP were pretty good times as it was an early slot and we decided to head into the Toy Story area and go on Slinky Dog.

We knew we had to keep an eye on the time as we needed to log on to the Line Berty app to try and book up a meet and greet. In the Studios you can only meet characters if you book a slot through this app. I had made Kate download it as well as myself. We opened up the app at 9.40 and then kept hitting refresh at bang on 9.45 the character meets were available and Kate snapped up a meet with Mickey.

My phone on the other hand was having none of it I have no idea why but the app kept crashing and telling me an error has occurred . I kept trying, but by 9.47am all the character slots were taken and there were none left . NOT. EVEN. JOKING. The app never did work on my phone the whole trip.

We enjoyed the Slinky Dog ride, this was fun even though it’s just a baby coaster.

We went over to the guest services area as I have a Mastercard and I’d read that we could get seats for the Mickey and the Magician show if I showed them my card. But, they had already all sold out. She did explain that we would still get in and not to worry.

We decided to try out the Armageddon show and this was really fun, made even better by the fact that we had just watched the movie altogether a couple of weeks ago. Kate thought she would be burnt alive at one point. We were not expecting that to happen!

We grabbed some more fast passes for Tower of Terror on the way back around to Ratatouille.

We had fun on this ride, it reminded me of a similar ride at Seaworld and I think it will be a great fit for World Showcase.

We had a little rest sitting on a bench and watching the Stormtrooper parade before going to the Stitch Live show, we had decided that we definitely wanted to see this in English as it would not be as fun for Kate if I would have to translate everything.

Then it was time for another ride on Tower of Terror using our FP. The intro was in English this time (the TV show part). The little girl in front of us was quite upset and not wanting to go on at all so they ended up turning around and leaving. We were in the second row again, in the same seats as before.

We decided to go and get the RnR photo from earlier in the morning but the ride was down and we couldn’t go into the gift shop. It was a bit early but we were now starving hungry so we went to Restaurant des Stars early and they were fine for us to go on in and have our lunch. Just as we sat down at the table Kate got the notification through on her phone that Mickey was ready to meet us. We figured he could wait (well we hoped he would wait as we really wanted to eat).

My version of a Max cheese plate.

Kate partitioning food, she doesn't like different foods touching each other.

Lunch here was pretty good and we had multiple plates each.

Kate really enjoyed the build your own fajita's.

Of course we still had space for pudding even after that lot.

Afterwards we went straight over to meet Mickey, there was no one else there and he was just sort of hanging around, which is kind of a shame as there were lots of kids who were keen to meet him but couldn’t. Kate showed her phone with the ticket number and we were allowed on through. There was a photographer here, which was handy. We got some lovely photos.

That was enough for now and we headed back to the hotel for our afternoon rest. On the way I made Kate pose for a few photo's, she was a bit tired and too full to do a happy face though.

We had a couple of hours in the room. Kate watched the Disney Channel and I watched a documentary about Walt Disney that I had downloaded from Netflix.

We left the hotel at 4.38pm so that we could get back to the studios and watch the Mickey and the Magician show. Before heading into the show we checked to see if RnR was open so we could collect the photo, it was (which you will have guessed as you've already seen the photo).

The Mickey and the Magician show was absolutely fantastic, I really loved it.

This evening we had our meal at Café Mickey. I’d booked this with the concierge at the hotel reception and the only time we could get was 6pm, which was a pain as it would mean we would miss the fireworks but we had decided it would be worth it. We were excited to find out what characters we would meet as we had seen a few of the more unusual characters through the window as we walked through the Disney Village.

Only a short wait in reception before we were seated.

We were seated in the conservatory bit of the restaurant which I was little disappointed about as it felt like we were stuck outside. We were next to the window looking into the main restaurant, to the right of Kate in this photo.

I loved the chairs!

Kate was a bit put out at having to order from the kids menu…she was still classed as a child as was 11 at the time of the trip and so the value of her credit was a lot less than mine.

The characters were all great. Pluto was first up.

Looking through the window into the main restaurant.

Mickey really liked Kate’s ears.

Finally the starters arrived.

We both really liked Kate's plate.

Eeyore was up next.

We had barely finished the starters when the main course arrived.

It was at this point that another lady and her son were seated next to us. Up until now we had loads of room to meet the characters.

Tigger did lots of bouncing, so much that he nearly tripped over getting to us at the table.

Minnie thought Kate’s jumper was brilliant as Mickey is blowing a raspberry.

The food was tasty. I did enjoy the steak. But my mash was cold, when the waiter asked if everything was ok I said the mash was cold. So he got me another, which was also cold, but I just couldn’t be bothered to make a fuss about it.

The characters came around for a second time and we took some selfies with them.

It was a bit tight getting up and down from the table as the lady who was next to us with her son had a massive bag from of lego and so the characters couldn’t quite get into us and Kate had to hop over the bag to get to them. I’ve no idea why they were given that table as the restaurant was barely half full so there was loads of space, but they crammed us next to each other in the conservatory. I suppose it was because we were two parties of two.

I had the cutest looking pudding.

When it was time to pay I wanted to charge the additional cost to our room. We used the buffet meal as credit to part pay and as this was a more expensive meal. This was fine but I had to go over to the check in area to scan the room card. The only problem was it wouldn’t go through . Rather embarrassingly I had not brought my credit card back out with me as the whole point of setting up charging was so that I wouldn’t have to bring lots of cash and a cards out. This was a real low point.

Kate was back at the table and so she didn’t know what was going on. The card wouldn’t go through, even though I’d used it before as I’d paid for the cocktail with the dinner on both nights previously, the autograph book had been paid for in this way... The manager came out and said surely I had money or a credit card to pay with. But I didn't it was horrid.

She then phoned the hotel and they said the card should work fine as other charges had gone through, but it didn’t. I was actually quite upset as we had no way of paying the bill. The whole process took about 20 minutes. In the end the manager took all our details as I said we would come back tomorrow to pay it off. I don’t think she believed we would be back though. It was a dreadful end to the night. I went back to the table and got Kate to put her coat on. We walked back to the hotel and of course Kate could tell I was upset and I tried to explain to her what had happened without crying.

It wasn’t really the fun meal I was hoping it would be, the food took ages to come out and then everything arrived within 20 minutes, the mash was cold (twice), we’d been crammed in like sardines and may as well have just had a table for four with the lady and her son next to us. Plus it had cost a lot of money (well, not yet as we hadn’t actually paid for it yet, but of course we went back the next day and sorted out the bill, but that was a palaver too and took around half an hour in the end). So, it’s not somewhere we would return to and I wouldn’t recommend it. I had hoped it would be a nicer meal for us as it was a la carte but it just wasn’t.

It was a miserable end to the day, back in the room I had cry in the bathroom while Kate watched the TV and we got ready for bed.

I was debating (with myself) whether to post the last part of the night as it was hugely embarrassing at the time and I was really upset about it. Looking back it was silly to be upset as none of it was my fault, perhaps there was a problem with the card reader in the restaurant, who knows. I suppose I decided that it did happen and that maybe it would be a cautionary tale for others, so I did write it up. We have never had a problem in WDW as we always set up charging to the room so I that we can put all the cards into the safe and we just take a small amount of cash with us to the parks and I don’t suppose we will change our ways this summer. Perhaps as I knew in advance we would have a hefty bill to pay I should have brought back up money but I didn’t.

The next day I went over to the concierge at the hotel reception and explained there was a problem with the card not working in the restaurant as I couldn't charge the bill and they checked it out and it was fine, plus it worked fine for the whole rest of the trip. Of course, I didn’t need my credit card which from that point on I took everywhere 'just in case'. I suppose it’s just one of those things and I really shouldn’t have been so upset about it.

Sorry to end the day on a downer, but that's the way it was. There will be more fun and less crying tomorrow. We did what we had promised ourselves and got our breakfast to and we made it onto Crush! Wahoo.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Oh no, what a shame about the end of the day I understand why you were so upset though, it’s easy to be calm with hindsight but that sinking, embarrassing feeling when you realise you’re stuck is just horrible! At least they let you leave rather than making you wash dishes or something!

Can you only meet characters with that app now? Or do they still have some you just line up for, and the ones that wander around? Can’t believe how quickly the slots disappeared!

We didn’t see any of the shows and I’m still kicking myself because they sound fab. Oh well, always more to do next time!

Ah, the good old crush to get on Crush! I enjoyed it but DH wasn’t impressed. Looking forward to finding out if you had to sprint to get on it like we did
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
Oh no, what a shame about the end of the day I understand why you were so upset though, it’s easy to be calm with hindsight but that sinking, embarrassing feeling when you realise you’re stuck is just horrible! At least they let you leave rather than making you wash dishes or something!

Can you only meet characters with that app now? Or do they still have some you just line up for, and the ones that wander around? Can’t believe how quickly the slots disappeared!

We didn’t see any of the shows and I’m still kicking myself because they sound fab. Oh well, always more to do next time!

Ah, the good old crush to get on Crush! I enjoyed it but DH wasn’t impressed. Looking forward to finding out if you had to sprint to get on it like we did
Oh Tara you are so right. With hindsight I sound like a silly teenager, but at the time it was mortifying. The whole thing was a good 20 minutes of me at the podium and poor Kate was all alone at the table. Still you're right they could have insisted that I go back to the hotel and get some money. Even though it's only a short walk I just couldn't face it on the night.

Ok onwards. In the studios I don't think you can see characters now without a line berty ticket. To my mind it's crazy and such a shame for all those people who don't even know it exists. The poor kids who were looking at Mickey standing there with no one in line, what a stupid system

There was a lot of running, I didn't lower myself to that level ok so if Kate wasn't there then I probably would have the last day we went to the main park as we wanted to ride Peter Pan that was mental the cast member was shouting at people not to run and it made no difference.

In the past I've partaken in the fast walk, in fact I pride myself in thinking I'm quite good at it, but honestly this was another level that I've not experienced before. It's much more civilised at WDW.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Oh Tara you are so right. With hindsight I sound like a silly teenager, but at the time it was mortifying. The whole thing was a good 20 minutes of me at the podium and poor Kate was all alone at the table. Still you're right they could have insisted that I go back to the hotel and get some money. Even though it's only a short walk I just couldn't face it on the night.

Ok onwards. In the studios I don't think you can see characters now without a line berty ticket. To my mind it's crazy and such a shame for all those people who don't even know it exists. The poor kids who were looking at Mickey standing there with no one in line, what a stupid system

There was a lot of running, I didn't lower myself to that level ok so if Kate wasn't there then I probably would have the last day we went to the main park as we wanted to ride Peter Pan that was mental the cast member was shouting at people not to run and it made no difference.

In the past I've partaken in the fast walk, in fact I pride myself in thinking I'm quite good at it, but honestly this was another level that I've not experienced before. It's much more civilised at WDW.
That is crazy that you can't meet them without the app! Surely it would make more sense if it worked like a fast pass? We saw loads of characters doing that random, walking around thing and it was so much fun! Very disappointed about that.

Now with the running, the worst I saw there was for the princess meet in the main park - those people were flat-out sprinting and ignoring the poor cast members, it looked hideous and I was very grateful that Heath wasn't interested! The Crush run was funny because I couldn't quite believe I was running for a ride totally got swept up in the madness! Glad to hear that WDW is calmer!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
That is crazy that you can't meet them without the app! Surely it would make more sense if it worked like a fast pass? We saw loads of characters doing that random, walking around thing and it was so much fun! Very disappointed about that.

Now with the running, the worst I saw there was for the princess meet in the main park - those people were flat-out sprinting and ignoring the poor cast members, it looked hideous and I was very grateful that Heath wasn't interested! The Crush run was funny because I couldn't quite believe I was running for a ride totally got swept up in the madness! Glad to hear that WDW is calmer!
The running for the Princess Pavilion was mental while we would have happily met them we were not about to get in the mix of that as there was some serious shoving and forcing people out the way. Honestly, it was crazy.

Old 9 Apr 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I’m with Kate on the stunt show, I hated it in HS and I flat out refused to go in DLP.

A really productive morning in the Studios, definitely the right decision to skip Crush. I do wish they would install a FP line for it. We did it standby first thing and the wait wasn’t as awful as it looked once the park actually opened.

Armageddon was so intense; I was awaiting impending doom the entire time.

I’m really excited about Ratatouille coming to World Showcase, I know some don’t agree with the use of IP in the pavilions but I’m all for it. I read a rumour years ago about them having once planned a magic carpet ride for Morocco, I think that would have been amazing.

Kate is correct, food shouldn’t touch. Particularly saucy foods. Lunch looks fab, I am really impressed with the buffets.

Haha at those pictures of a solemn Kate as you are leaving the park, I thought you’d brought Max along after all for a minute.

What a nightmare at Chef Mickey, not a nice end to the night. You really shouldn’t have been too embarrassed though as the hotel had made it clear to the restaurant that this shouldn’t have been happening.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Oh Abbey, what a terrible experience for you. I would have felt the same, but to be honest, I would have felt annoyed too, as it wasn't your fault and the manager didn't seem to be very understanding about the problem. Plus, it didn't seem a very enjoyable meal either, I won't put it on our list now

Some great tips though, especially about the FP machines opening at 9.30 and looking at the boards for the English showings of some shows.

Your cheese plate looks amazing at the buffet, Max could learn a lot from you about how to fill a plate

You did manage to get a lot of rides in again today though and it seemed a really nice day apart from the meal. Hope you felt happier after a good night's sleep and it didn't spoil the rest of your trip

Edited at 08:17 PM.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Just reading your account of the bill paying nightmare made me feel uncomfortable. I would have been every bit as mortified as you were, especially when the CMs were basically disbelieving. Good on you for not breaking down in front of your daughter. What a horrid end to the day.

I’m so pleased the next day turned out better and it didn’t spoil your trip. I always think it’s important to give honest reviews of dining experiences. I’m sure most of us are so happy to be there, we daren’t think anything bad!

I’ve never yet run to any ride. Wonder if I’ll be able to resist in May?
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I’m with Kate on the stunt show, I hated it in HS and I flat out refused to go in DLP.

A really productive morning in the Studios, definitely the right decision to skip Crush. I do wish they would install a FP line for it. We did it standby first thing and the wait wasn’t as awful as it looked once the park actually opened.

Armageddon was so intense; I was awaiting impending doom the entire time.

I’m really excited about Ratatouille coming to World Showcase, I know some don’t agree with the use of IP in the pavilions but I’m all for it. I read a rumour years ago about them having once planned a magic carpet ride for Morocco, I think that would have been amazing.

Kate is correct, food shouldn’t touch. Particularly saucy foods. Lunch looks fab, I am really impressed with the buffets.

Haha at those pictures of a solemn Kate as you are leaving the park, I thought you’d brought Max along after all for a minute.

What a nightmare at Chef Mickey, not a nice end to the night. You really shouldn’t have been too embarrassed though as the hotel had made it clear to the restaurant that this shouldn’t have been happening.
You and Kate should holiday together, we never did made it to the lights moteurs action show. Although it wouldn't have been much fun sitting watching it in the cold, so I didn't really push for it.

The Crush line was mental all day long every day of the trip. I guess it is always like that. So, yes it does seem crazy that they haven't got any FP machined.

Oh a magic carpet ride would be awesome in Morroco I'd love that. It seems like the ship has sailed with not having IP in world showcase what with Coco in Mexico and Frozen in Norway.

I don't think Kate has been on one of those walk through attractions like Armageddon before, the closest thing I can liken it to is the one at islands of adventure where you walk through the tunnel of water (I've forgotten the name of it). Anyway, in Armageddon the floor was shaking and the fire felt really hot and way too close. It was a good little show.

The moody photos are great aren't they? I think she was just very tired, I was lucky she let me take the photos and she didn't flat out refuse.

Looking back it's easy to be rational about not having the money to pay for the meal, but I did feel very stupid at the time.

Old 9 Apr 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Oh Abbey, what a terrible experience for you. I would have felt the same, but to be honest, I would have felt annoyed too, as it wasn't your fault and the manager didn't seem to be very understanding about the problem. Plus, it didn't seem a very enjoyable meal either, I won't put it on our list now

Some great tips though, especially about the FP machines opening at 9.30 and looking at the boards for the English showings of some shows.

Your cheese plate looks amazing at the buffet, Max could learn a lot from you about how to fill a plate

You did manage to get a lot of rides in again today though and it seemed a really nice day apart from the meal. Hope you felt happier after a good night's sleep and it didn't spoil the rest of your trip
I did feel quite cross about it the next day. When I went to the hotel reception and they said the card was fine I half expected them to sprinkle some pixie dust and say to me to not bother about paying, but they didn't and then later when it took an age to sort out in the restaurant I was even more cross. It really was the worst of our 'paid for' meals and I wouldn't rush back.

Fortunately things did get a lot better on that front. I very nearly had a hissy fit and cancelled all the rest. I'm glad I didn't as the next day we ate at Ratatouille which was great and the last day we ate at the POTC restaurant which was also fab (just a bit dark so hard to see the menu and the food).

Max definitely could take lessons from me when it comes to buffet plates. But I don't think he will listen to me any time soon.