Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 25 Jul 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
CookieMonster54
Excited about Disney

Upgrading to Annual Pass

I have 21 day Disney tickets and I was wondering whether it would be cheaper for me to upgrade to an annual pass so I don’t have to pay for parking. Has anyone else upgraded a 21 day ticket to an annual pass and around what price was the upgrade.
CookieMonster54 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post

I believe it is broadly the difference between what you paid and the AP regular price. We are planning to upgrade to AP when we go in September (as we go again in April) and I am expecting something like $500 - 600.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CookieMonster54 View Post
I have 21 day Disney tickets and I was wondering whether it would be cheaper for me to upgrade to an annual pass so I don’t have to pay for parking. Has anyone else upgraded a 21 day ticket to an annual pass and around what price was the upgrade.
the price you'll pay to upgrade will depend on the cast member, on the day, on the location you ask at, on the phases of the moon, and on the number of coffees the guest relations manager had in the morning

no, I'm not pulling your leg, it's basically the experience we all had.

as per the previous poster you can expect it to be around the price difference between what you've paid for your tickets, and the price of the AP ($1200 for the plat+)

what you need to do, beforehand, is to do the maths of all you will save.

IF you have another trip planned and that will be completed during the 12 months after using your 21 days ticket first, and you're going to use the free parking perk on one or both trips, then it's a no brainer (even though if you fancied a free dining offer and an onsite stay next time, then you'll miss out)

if it's only this year and only for parking, do a simple maths
number of days of parking times daily parking fee = saving

when you're there, take that number and substract it from the quote you get for upgrade, and divide the result by .15 (or multiply by 6.66)
that's the amount of money you'll need to spend to get even compared to paying out of pocket for everything

so, let's say you will visit the full 21 days, parking will be 20 * 25 = $500 (20 and not 21 because you might not get credit for first visit parking fee, when you upgrade)

there it's plain to see that, you'll easily get even, even if they quote you $500 for upgrade

you'll break even just with parking, and every purchase made with AP will be a bonus, and money in your pocket, courtesy of the mouse.

but if you're only visiting 10 days on your 21 days ticket, then 9*25 = 225
if they quote you 500 for upgrade, 500 - 225 = 275
so you'll need to get 275 in discounts to break even. At an average 15% discount, that's 275 * 6.66 = 1833

so, if you're only using free parking on 10 days, you'll need to spend $1833 at 15% average discount to break even. Or spend way more to come ahead

with those figures about how much you'll save on parking alone, and a quick calculation of the spending you need to make to get ahead, it will be easy to accept the upgrade offer, or just say no thank you

also remember that if you're not happy with the upgrade price, you can still ask at another park, and the price may be different. But inversely, if you walk out the door hoping to find a better quote elsewhere, the price you were given vanishes into thin air as soon as you walk through that door.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

I paid $2160 on 15th June this year before the prices went up. Worked out better for us with parking
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sonic_heroes
Apprentice Imagineer

sonic_heroes's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Just back and upgraded our 21 day tickets. We asked at MK Guest relations and she said that it was all in the computer now so everyone should quote the same price.
Will have to check how much we were in the end but I noticed after we had upgraded (hubby and me only) that when I went into our daughters' ticket info on MDE they were getting a better deal than we had been given! Wish we had done it that way too. They were getting $624 credit for their 21 day tickets against the Platinum plus. We got a lot less and hence bought just the platinum tickets but she was willing to give us a credit against the discount amount on the tours that we had already booked and paid for, so we accepted her price. Still think we scored instead of buying another set of tickets in December and the discounts we have/will receive. Have still to add it all up. X
DLP Oct 2007. Marriott World Centre Drive/PO Riverside Oct 2009. POR Oct 2011. SSR/Sheraton Vistana/ASS July 2013. Pop Cent Oct 2014. ASM May 2015. Davenport Villas July 2015. ASS, Liki Tiki Village, T Ridge July 2016. Marriott SeaWorld, OKW, Hampton lakes Villa, June 2019.All star Music Dec 2019
sonic_heroes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 02:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by sonic_heroes View Post
Just back and upgraded our 21 day tickets. We asked at MK Guest relations and she said that it was all in the computer now so everyone should quote the same price.
Will have to check how much we were in the end but I noticed after we had upgraded (hubby and me only) that when I went into our daughters' ticket info on MDE they were getting a better deal than we had been given! Wish we had done it that way too. They were getting $624 credit for their 21 day tickets against the Platinum plus. We got a lot less and hence bought just the platinum tickets but she was willing to give us a credit against the discount amount on the tours that we had already booked and paid for, so we accepted her price. Still think we scored instead of buying another set of tickets in December and the discounts we have/will receive. Have still to add it all up. X
I didn’t know you could do it via MDE, how do you do that?
Old 29 Jul 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Claudette I was told that you can only do it in person by Guest Services
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Claudette I was told that you can only do it in person by Guest Services
SD
That is what I understood too.
Old 2 Aug 19, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
sonic_heroes
Apprentice Imagineer

sonic_heroes's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I didn’t know you could do it via MDE, how do you do that?
Once you are there and have activated your tickets/booked into a resort? - if you go onto MDE and look at your tickets it will say - why not upgrade to an annual pass, you will get ... credit for your 21 day tickets. Not sure if you can actually do it on the app as we had already purchased ours when I noticed this comment on our daughters' tickets and we were not upgrading them.
DLP Oct 2007. Marriott World Centre Drive/PO Riverside Oct 2009. POR Oct 2011. SSR/Sheraton Vistana/ASS July 2013. Pop Cent Oct 2014. ASM May 2015. Davenport Villas July 2015. ASS, Liki Tiki Village, T Ridge July 2016. Marriott SeaWorld, OKW, Hampton lakes Villa, June 2019.All star Music Dec 2019
sonic_heroes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
SiandAm
Imagineer

I’ve just looked and you can do it on he MDE app now. Interestingly, our 14 day ultimate pass was first used 10 days ago, but on the app it says we have 7 park days available ( we have been in a park on 7 occasions). It was always my understanding th passes expired after 7 days but this suggests not?

PORS 1995 Grand Floridian 1997 CBR 1998 ASMovies2002/2004Cumbrian lakes 2005,6,8,10,11,12,13,14 & 15 NYC/disney '12 AKL 2007 OKW 2009 2012Ellie hunts tour CBR 19
cumbrian lakes2016,17,18,19,22 2019 ASMovies 2022
SiandAm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List