Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Oct 21, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzy1
Excited about Disney

DD has attended Open Days at Northern School of Art and Northumbria, and she liked them both. Another Open Day at Liverpool John Moore's next weekend. A virtual Open Day with Leeds convinced her that the course they offered wasn't what she wanted. A virtual Open Day with Leeds Arts University next month. She has written her Personal Statement, but it might need a couple of tweaks. Currently working on her Art Portfolio as each university has different portfolio requirements. She has a number of health problems, and Northumbria University haven't really filled us with confidence on this issue. Very limited accessible accommodation and it took me 3 weeks to find someone to talk to about support. At the Open Day, the person was only able to talk about Dyslexia, which my daughter doesn't have!
dizzy1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I have identical twins ,one of whom is applying for next year . He’s hoping for Bristol or Loughborough to study fine art . The other twin doesn’t want to go to uni so I’ve got the added concern of them being apart it’s all fun and games

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Evil queen View Post
We are plodding on although dd doesn’t like any input from us which is frustrating. She’s written her personal statement with her singing teachers input and needs to get on with filling in the applications. She’s applying to drama schools so they are not all via ucas- 2 are direct applications with auditions to follow, 1 is joint ucas/direct and they need to receive both applications within 10 days of each other and the other is just ucas. Not all of them are open for application just yet so it’s a continuous monitoring of the websites so that we don’t miss the boat. It’s only after applying that she will find out the specifics of the audition requirements and we will need to do taping of those this year.
I’ve got no idea if we should be doing anything regarding finance just yet- there’s no information available on the direct application drama schools just that she would be entitled to student finance. It’s giving me a headache! Any help in that respect would be appreciated.
We’ve not managed to get to any open days although she did a weeks audition prep at ArtsEd in the summer so has been in the buildings and met some of the staff etc, she liked the vibe so that made the shortlist, the others we might just have to visit if she gets any offers I think. Because she is so young and the chances of getting in first time to drama school are quite small she feels like it gives her a bit of breathing space and is almost treating this like a trial run although I think some of that is a bit of self preservation in case she doesn’t get in.
My son is also applying for performing arts ( music) and whilst the applications are through UCAS which is much easier, he will then have to go through auditions which we don’t know yet what they will require. My son is currently at a performing arts sixth form and quite a few are applying to drama school so I think I have got some information on finance and direct application drama schools. I’ll see if I can dig it out this weekend and let you know. Good luck with it all
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiebaz View Post
My son is also applying for performing arts ( music) and whilst the applications are through UCAS which is much easier, he will then have to go through auditions which we don’t know yet what they will require. My son is currently at a performing arts sixth form and quite a few are applying to drama school so I think I have got some information on finance and direct application drama schools. I’ll see if I can dig it out this weekend and let you know. Good luck with it all
That would be fantastic- thankyou! I’m like a fish out of water, Ab is my oldest child, so first go at uni applications anyway , it all feels like a steep learning curve!
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

My daughter had to have her personal statement in for checking Friday past, it's been over 20 years since I applied for uni so wasnt much help ha ha. She would like to do French and has her heart set on Cardiff- we live just outside so she'll be at home although I'm hoping year 2 she might want to live out. She'd also be happy with Bristol or Bath. She's my only one so first and last time going through all this.

Edited at 06:33 PM.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
Just stumbled on this thread… glad to know I’m not alone! DD has finally chosen a course, and 5 unis for her UCAS application, and fortunately had a lot of help from school (sixth form) with her personal statement. It’s a very long time since I did this myself, and it’s a completely different world now. DD is applying for Oxford, which seems to add an extra layer of complexity with entrance exams, and submitting written work - and twice as complicated as she’s chosen History and Modern Languages (German). And of course, no guarantee she’ll get a place.

Of course gin is always a good antidote to stress (for me, not her )

WDW POR 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2016 and 2018
Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Custancia View Post
Just stumbled on this thread… glad to know I’m not alone! DD has finally chosen a course, and 5 unis for her UCAS application, and fortunately had a lot of help from school (sixth form) with her personal statement. It’s a very long time since I did this myself, and it’s a completely different world now. DD is applying for Oxford, which seems to add an extra layer of complexity with entrance exams, and submitting written work - and twice as complicated as she’s chosen History and Modern Languages (German). And of course, no guarantee she’ll get a place.

Of course gin is always a good antidote to stress (for me, not her )
My DS is currently doing his application for uni (not Oxbridge) but 2 years ago we went through the Oxford route for my DD to do maths. Please ask if you want any info on interviews etc. She applied to St Anne’s and was offered a place but turned them down in favour of Warwick. Oxford were pressing her constantly for a couple of months for her to change her mind. They said people simply don’t say no to them! I was appalled at their tactics. Warwick is the right place for her and she plans to do her PhD at Oxford. All that said though - she does have their offer letter framed on her wall as it was such an achievement!
2022: Highlands Reserve villa followed by Gulf Coast
Photogirl62 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Disneycraft View Post
I have identical twins ,one of whom is applying for next year . He’s hoping for Bristol or Loughborough to study fine art . The other twin doesn’t want to go to uni so I’ve got the added concern of them being apart it’s all fun and games
I too have Id twins-one who is hoping to go to university next year to do animation or graphics and the other is applying to the navy. They are a year older as have taken an extra year but I’m still not ready for them to go and be apart.
Old 12 Oct 21, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
RuthieR
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by COL41 View Post
DD in Y12 and already booked in for a couple of virtual open days next month. DS wanted to stay at home and go to local uni so only visited the two nearby, so this is a new world for us. Hard when they’re looking online at unis in towns they’ve likely never heard of let alone visited!
We did this last year. DS applied to 3 out 5 Unis we hadn't been able to go to in person. You can go and visit the town yourself and get a feel of it if they like the Uni as it's the course and campus that's important, before the deadline to submit in Jan 22. We actually got more out of the virtual open days than going to the talks in person, trying to fit everything in in one day. A lot of info was on demand presentations so you can watch it when you want.
RuthieR is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We’re floundering. Dd has written her personal statement but she needs to say more about why she wants to study business and apparently to get a good job isn’t a good enough reason.

We did visit Manchester for a tour but she doesn’t think her predicted grades will be high enough so having to have a rethink.
You are so prepared haven’t even thought Uni yet never mind PS, DD is in year 12 no idea what she wants to do or where.