Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Nov 21, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by HelenLime View Post
I think the problem is the non-specific nature of the COVID symptoms. If everyone who had ‘a cold’ (no continuous cough, no fever, no loss of smell) isolated and booked a test then vast swathes of people would be isolating and the testing system would collapse.

Whilst totally agreeing with the OP removing her child from the class, if the teacher just has cold symptoms then they are following the guidelines.
If they have cough fever etc as then yes of course they should isolate and take a PCR test.
I think almost everyone agrees that the OP did the right thing and the school also did the idea with the exception of the school office giving the op information on the teachers illness
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Between them Sew109 and Sparrow have entered the philosophical world of the needs of one as compared to the needs of many.

There are strong points to be made on both sides. It certainly won't be solved in a discussion on the Dibb. Equally however I don't see the need to withdraw from the dibb because someone holds an opposite but equally valid view.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
Sadly all I am seeing is concern for the disruption of the class rather than be sure of how safe you are when you enter that class. Not just the vulnerable that could be in it but whom they are going home to.
Time to do a Mickey House for a while.
In real terms it's not just disruption to a class - it's disruption to 30+sets of parents who will then also have to stay at home. Those parents may lose pay, or may themselves be keyworker staff. It's a fine balance and a head can be put in an impossible position to make a decision to close a school or certain classes.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
sparrow
Imagineer

Ok Last one. I was curious. Dinglebert , like everyone I’ve had a rubbish couple of years. But some of it it could have ended up so much better if people had took the time. To get vaccinated, to get tested, to not take the easy route and find out the hard way. 24 hours wait is nothing compared to what could happen. The loss of one person is huge to those that lost them. Will the kids at school remember the day their teacher did or didn’t get a positive result and did or didn’t go home.
I don’t think there more I can say on that.
Old 10 Nov 21, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Ok Last one. I was curious. Dinglebert , like everyone I’ve had a rubbish couple of years. But some of it it could have ended up so much better if people had took the time. To get vaccinated, to get tested, to not take the easy route and find out the hard way. 24 hours wait is nothing compared to what could happen. The loss of one person is huge to those that lost them. Will the kids at school remember the day their teacher did or didn’t get a positive result and did or didn’t go home.
If it were to be one teacher on one day then of course it would be the right thing to do but there are in most primary schools say 14 teachers if each one of them had a cold twice in the winter and lost one day for PCR that is 840 school days lost.

We have had a dreadful 2 years daughter who has always been top of the class since R completely screwed up her 11 plus, no income at all for 11 months but this is no reason to go against a system that has been worked on and thought about to ensure that the least harm.

There is not route that is right for everyone so we have to look at the one that is right for the highest number of people. In my view it is not right to have a teacher take a PCR test every time they have a sneeze there are rules in place showing what symptoms are likely to be C19 and if these are present a PCR test is needed if they are not it is not.

As Babymint has says its then the parents lost earnings but perhaps a paramedic or a nurse that has to stay at home when ours systems are close to breaking and need every available medic on site cant go in.

Edited at 08:02 PM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
This has been a really interesting debate. I don’t disagree with your views at all, but it’s very hard to do in reality.
Poor Mason might need to stay home from school, but he seems quite vulnerable anyway and may miss school some of those days regardless. That’s 10 days of school.
In the 30 kids that may not be able to be taught, there could be nurses, paramedics, doctors, police. All of whom save lives on a daily basis.
I still think that the school have done right by looking after the best needs of the majority
Old 10 Nov 21, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I am sorry this has caused a bit of conflict of opinions.
I will try to explain a little better 🙈
The head teacher rang me this morning and explained that Mason’s teacher has come in school full of a cold this morning, she did a LFT which was negative. I was asked if I wanted to pick Mason up. I said that I would collect Mason and contact the IBD team for advice. I asked if the teacher could wear a mask or shield but I was told she couldn’t because it negatively effects teaching and she can’t stay away from Mason because she walks around the class.
IBD team said that Mason needs to stay off school for 10 days or until a negative PCR test is done.
When I arrived at school the head came to me. I was told that Mason’s teacher woke up with a high temperature, sore throat and cough but the LFT is negative.
I showed them the email from the IBD team and I was told that if a child has symptoms they have to stay off until a negative test is shown but its up to each teacher to decide if they need a PCR or not. Interestingly she said that if it was her she would have had a PCR test and actually had one on Saturday because she had been in contact with a positive case.
I can certainly see problems from both sides but I do strongly believe that people need to take some responsibility. By not having a PCR test there is a possibility of spreading covid to 30 plus children. At the very least a shield or mask should be worn. There are two children in that class who have severe asthma that I know of so I am not expecting special treatment just for my child.
The head has emailed since and said that they are going to hold a meeting and discuss the situation then get back to me.

It’s definitely not black and white, there is no perfect solution. From a selfish point of view I am worried about Mason’s education because he has missed nearly a whole year but his health comes first.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

My daughters year 6 teacher wore a mask from the first lockdown, she did this as she told us that she could not bare to pass anything to the kids though she said it was hard and did need to take it off for french and some English.

It’s one thing to take a PCR at the weekend but very different in the week where the class would have to be closed awaiting results.

You are still either lucky or unlucky depending on how you look at it that the head teacher told you about the form teachers symptoms. If she had said “teacher had cold symptoms took a LFT and that was negative” would this have changed your View?

I am slightly concerned though covid or no covid that a teacher comes in with a high temperature we would not allow that at our schools.

I am assuming your some wears a mask and Sheild for his own protection ?
Old 10 Nov 21, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

If the teacher had a temp and a cough then they should be isolating and getting a PCR. That’s pretty clear?
I’m amazed the head could be so blase about it? Have they not read the guidance? That’s a pretty serious misunderstanding of the testing regime…
HelenLime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
You are still either lucky or unlucky depending on how you look at it that the head teacher told you about the form teachers symptoms. If she had said “teacher had cold symptoms took a LFT and that was negative” would this have changed your View?

Sorry, I don’t understand this?
When the head rang I was told that his teacher was full of a cold but the LFT was negative.

I am slightly concerned though covid or no covid that a teacher comes in with a high temperature we would not allow that at our schools.

I am assuming your some wears a mask and Sheild for his own protection ?
No Mason doesn’t wear a mask or shield. He is autistic so it would be a struggle. He can’t manage a mask with his glasses on and he can’t do his work without his glasses on. Both would be a complete distraction and all his concentration would be on them rather than whats going on in class. Its just a non starter unfortunately.
It would be a brilliant idea if he could though x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List