Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 17 Nov 21, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

When my DD was a cm at epcot in the rose and crown ,as part of the international programme in 2002 , she started off on $9 per hour, when she was promoted to server her pay went down to $2 per hour but she still had to pay her rent,bills, laundering of costumes, transport to work etc.
Yes she made a lot in tips but she worked hard for that money and paid a lot out in expenses
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Ah a good old tipping bunfight! Just throwing this one in like a hand grenade... why does it matter what someone else makes? To the OP your hourly rate is easily twice what a nurse, firefighter or service person makes but they all still take their cars to you & pay whatever your bill is. I don't agree with the US system, some European countries have no expected tips but at the end of the day you should do what is normal for that country. If servers get the minimum wage, it was one of Sleepy Joe's promises, then the Tipping argument falls flat on it's face & a lot of servers will be out of pocket but until then I will pay the 18-20%.
The establishment has to make up the difference if under tipped, up to whatever the minimum is... guess what happens if that starts happening too often ?
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR

Edited at 09:00 PM.
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
If you really want to get into tipping, you should head over to Disboards.

The Americans tip for EVERY THING not just at restaurants!
  • Hotel housekeeping - some even print up special envelopes and leave a tip per day
  • The luggage porters at DCL terminals
  • If they get something like a bed or other furniture delivered
  • Tour guides and bus tour divers
  • Food delivery and some even tip when they order online and collect the food
  • Hairdressers, nail techs and other beauty services
We've always left $2 pp a day for housekeeping, $1 a drink at bars; and we tip tour guides and anyone helping with bags (anywhere, not just in the US). I tip my hairdresser a couple of Ł. I have no objection at all to tipping if we feel it's deserved but I do object to being told how much.
We've always paid the 'recommended' amount but have decided enough is enough and we'll tip what we want to from now on, and if any staff comment negatively we'll take it back.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
What I don’t get is why someone starts a thread on tipping just to have an argument.

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
Not adding to the debate, but in years of Florida trips and 1 x New York trip only every had poor service once, and boy did they excell themselves in this department. To ensure they knew we were not happy with the service and not just 'Brits who don't tip' we left 20 cents.
Interestingly we got talking to a server in a steak house restaurant on our last Florida tip. He said that English have a very good reputation amoung servers for tipping fairly, Scots a bit tight. He also said servers in Disney are paid as if they are not tipped - so much higher than outside Disney, and that a server job in Disney 'was the holy grail of serving jobs - and there was a waiting list to get one'
I don’t believe that about the Scottish people. I agree with another poster that the servers have no idea where any of us are from other than the UK and actually assume we’re all from England. I’d actually venture that some of those “Scots” are actually Irish or English.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
What I don’t get is why someone starts a thread on tipping just to have an argument.

I don’t believe that about the Scottish people. I agree with another poster that the servers have no idea where any of us are from other than the UK and actually assume we’re all from England. I’d actually venture that some of those “Scots” are actually Irish or English.
Some are bound to be from Yorkshire. We are almost as tight as the Scots.
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
millienoahleo
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post

I didn’t intend to start an argument, just wanted to know if anyone had any strong thoughts on the subject of tipping.
Some have, and we’ve debated the ins and outs of those opinions, I’d like to think we’re all still friends
millienoahleo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
millienoahleo
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
We've always left $2 pp a day for housekeeping, $1 a drink at bars; and we tip tour guides and anyone helping with bags (anywhere, not just in the US). I tip my hairdresser a couple of Ł. I have no objection at all to tipping if we feel it's deserved but I do object to being told how much.
We've always paid the 'recommended' amount but have decided enough is enough and we'll tip what we want to from now on, and if any staff comment negatively we'll take it back.

This is exactly us and why I started this discussion, I’ve always tipped the recommended but decided not this time.
millienoahleo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

There's one very easy solution. Only eat at QS places. That way you won't have to tip anything.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by millienoahleo View Post
I didn’t intend to start an argument, just wanted to know if anyone had any strong thoughts on the subject of tipping.
Some have, and we’ve debated the ins and outs of those opinions, I’d like to think we’re all still friends
Yes because wanting to know if people have “strong thoughts” on a subject isn’t going to start an argument.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
SandLake
Excited about Disney

I have been travelling to Florida for a fair few years, back in the day a 'normal' tip was 15% and good service got 18%. Now that prices are significantly higher how come the percentages have gone up, 18% for normal and 20% for good.

Personally I don't like tipping but it is the American way so just get on with it
SandLake is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List