Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Nov 21, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Beachgirl71
Proud to wear my Ears

This is simply beautiful. I try to write my children letters whenever I can - because I dont feel like people do handwritten cards etc. anymore! Everything is email I just love your story...
Beachgirl71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
kc1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. How lovely to have such a find. You tread a thin line on Ancestry from feeling how wonderful it is to find out such information and in your case love, to feeling you are prying in to private lives. I would cherish them and indeed read them.

To be honest I would spend weeks transcribing them and then contact a local bookbinder and have them created as a personal ‘book’ interspersed with photos. Not that expensive either.
I love this idea! Think I need to do this Thankyou mr Tom! X
kc1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 03:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
This is amazing! What a lovely thing to have
Enjoy reading them ❤️
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 04:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Something to treasure
I have the letters my grandfather wrote to my grandmother from the trenches
My Dad swiped them for all the grandkids and had them bound
I’ve also got valentines medals etc
The original letters etc are kept safe but excerpts from them and the medals are displayed in DH man cave
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

What a lovely find and something to cherish, as many have said letters are by and large a thing of the past so it is wonderful to be able to keep these on many levels as part of your family history, your mum and dads relationship and about your Dad's life and travels, and I love Mr TM idea of having them bound in a book.

I am going to show my age here but do they have overhead projectors anymore? if so this could be an idea to 'blow them up' and see them on a screen to read?
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. How lovely to have such a find. You tread a thin line on Ancestry from feeling how wonderful it is to find out such information and in your case love, to feeling you are prying in to private lives. I would cherish them and indeed read them.

To be honest I would spend weeks transcribing them and then contact a local bookbinder and have them created as a personal ‘book’ interspersed with photos. Not that expensive either.
Tom, I might go a step further and explore the potential of publishing in some way shape or form.

They are real life history.

If tempted, I might start by ringing the National War Museum for advice.

Disney332
Old 18 Nov 21, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
soraia
Very Serious Dibber

What a lovely find - this has really put a smile on my face!
Enjoy reading them - something to cherish for sure
soraia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

That's lovely, people just dont write letters now.
About 3 years ago I had a bad health scare and decided that the letters my husband and i wrote to each other when we were in the army ,should go.
We had over a hundred and they were very personal to us only. We didnt really want the kids to have to go through them when we died ,so we read everyone then shredded them.
However we did keep a few so that our kids and grandchildren had 2 each , one from me to him and one from him to me. We chose ones that were funny or represented a certain time such as me burning our wedding cake ! I'm glad we decided to do that so they will have a momento,
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. As you mention it was your Dad I assume he was away in WW2 or later.

Now sadly on Ancestry type websites there is very little information online for that period as the documents haven't been released yet. However you could contact a RN Assoc or even the RN direct and see how they can help. Very easy if you have his old Service Number.

Any photos that you have that may be from that era and are damaged/faded/missing bits etc can be reproduced by a good photo shop. I had my Grandfathers from WW1 done and they are like new.

Best of luck.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore14
Apprentice Imagineer

Eeyore14's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
How beautiful, so glad you found these letters. How sweet that your Dad used to call you by the same pet names he used for your Mum. He must have been a lovely Dad. X