Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Nov 21, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

My Dad refused to be the guarantor for my sister in a house of 9 people, having his own business he felt it would be easier for them to chase him than some of the others that had nothing. My sister then went and asked had to step in

Its so tricky to know what to do

Edited at 12:55 PM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
My Dad refused to be the guarantor for my sister in a house of 9 people, having his own business he felt it would be easier for them to chase him than some of the others that had nothing. My sister then went and asked mu uncle he agreed straight away so my Dad felt he would.

Its so tricky to know what to do
Whilst that last line is true, it is very likely that it's a case of no guarantor = no house, which does limit the available options if paying up front doesn't solve the problem.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Kenwood
Helping Mickey

All I can suggest is to carefully read the agreement to identify wherever the liability is placed on you. If you are in any doubt about anything, get it clarified in writing from the landlord/agency before signing. Of all the properties my son has been in, I was always the last to sign agreements as i was always asking questions. I guess a lot of parents just sign them without really understanding the potential consequences.

Make sure you view the property with your son/daughter and photograph/video the property before anyone moves in. This will be invaluable for when they move out if there are any damage claims. Look at the security of the property as well, some of the properties my son looked at were woefully bad for security, ie window locks missing, broken or no keys, decent locking mechanisms for external doors.

Unfortunately It’s a difficult situation to be in. It’s unlikely that you’ll find a house with no guarantors required, so I guess it’s a necessary evil. Students need a place to stay so it’s something that needs to be done in order for them to stay away from home.

Edited at 01:32 PM.
Kenwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My daughter has just rented a new build flat in Manchester with her two friends. Each tenant had to have their own guarantor and that guarantor was responsible for their linked tenant. I am not responsible for the rent from the other two friends.

In her first year at Uni she rented a house in Manchester. Exactly the same system as above. One girl left her course early, she refused to pay her share of the rent and her parents had recently got divorced so had nothing and we never had to pay her share.
Old 19 Nov 21, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

My son shared with 6 others last year, one of the girls left at Christmas and didn’t pay her rent

They did not go after her guarantor, they went after each individual student in the house

At the end of the tenancy they withheld their deposits to cover then missing rent and wrote off whatever rent was still due

So all down about £500 each

I said to my son never again so this year he is sharing with just 2 others, I would never advise sharing a large house with a large group of students because of this x
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Edie ray View Post
At the end of the tenancy they withheld their deposits to cover then missing rent and wrote off whatever rent was still due
They shouldn't be able to do that, at least not easily and without contention anyway.

Which reminds me: It sounds dull, but please make sure your children ensure their landlord uses one of the tenancy deposit protection schemes - they are literally legally obligated to do so.

It will mean, at the end of the tenancy, the landlord can't just refuse to give the deposit back, knowing the students don't have much obvious way of resolving it.

They should receive formal notification from whichever scheme the landlord uses, confirming that the deposit has been protected.

It's something I know a lot about as I project managed a team that delivered the system for one of the schemes.

Details here if you don't know much about it: gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DS in Manchester has separate agreements in both his flats.
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
If you cannot afford to pick up the bill for the household defaults and it would put your own life and finances in jeopardy then don’t do it.
You could end up in a very sticky situation.
If on the other hand it would be very very annoying but you could suffer the potential loss then that’s different.

Edited at 02:25 PM.
CarolynU is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shirley View Post
DS in Manchester has separate agreements in both his flats.
It it says its 'joint and several' even with your separate contract a landlord can chase you for the whole lot
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Have a look on the website and/or Facebook group called WIWIKAU (What I Wish I knew about University).

There are lots of posts on there about this very subject.

You can however take out insurance and I’ve seen these 2 companies talked about.

- Guarantor Insure
- onlymyshare

Might be worth looking into. I need to do this soon as my dd is looking at next years accommodation, but they haven’t yet chosen anything so I’ve been putting it off.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List