Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Nov 21, 12:59 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
If they don't have a car or the one you have ordered are you within your rights to cancel and walk away?
I'd say yes.. But make sure to have it in writing from them that they're unable to supply it otherwise the rental company will put it down as a no show.

If you've booked it through a 3rd party just remember that they're been failed by the rental company as well.. We get live availability and accept bookings in good faith that the rental companies are able to deliver on their commitments. If the rental company are unable to supply the vehicle, follow the 3rd parties emergency / complaints procedure. I have it in my T&C's that I should be given the opportunity to resolve any issues and then this gives me the chance to record this with the rental company directly so they can't turn around at a later date saying the customer was a "no show" and refuse to refund me. I'd be a bit annoyed if I wasn't given that chance and a customer filed a charge back against me out of the blue.

Its also worth checking that the company you book with has the emergency contact outside of normal UK business hours as many people tend to arrive late evening / early hours UK time. Fortunately it happens very rarely so I manage to get a few hours before work at 7am.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Rossi_Fan
Earning My Ears

We had a full size booked with Avis for two days picking up at Universal's Hard Rock resort.
When we turned up at the booked time (8am) there was no sign of any staff. An agent turned up about 15 minutes later and told us that we had to choose between a 12 seat minibus or a Ford Mustang convertible!
When I complained the agent just shrugged his shoulders and I was given the third option of waiting for a few hours while they brought another car. I chose the mustang.
When we finally found the car in the car park we looked over and took pictures of the many dents and cracks in the bodywork then got in.
The interior was dirty with rubbish in the footwells, the rear window on the right side wouldn't fully close and although the paperwork said the tank was full, it was less than half full.
Starting the engine revealed the the service light was lit, there was 35900 miles on the clock and as we drove it became clear that it had been driven hard for those 35900 miles. In short , this was the worst hire car I have ever driven with wooden brakes, rattling doors and felt worn out.
If we had been renting a car for a week or more I would have waited for the car I had paid for but as we had only two days to do all we had planned I felt that I couldn't waste any of that time sitting waiting for a replacement.
Long story short, I wouldn't bother again with a short rental from a hotel in the current climate as the staff and vehicle shortages are leading to a less than satisfactory service.
Rossi_Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Ingram01
Helping Minnie

Just back from our trip. We booked an Intermediate car with Budget at the Holiday Inn near Universal through Andy at DFCH.

No issues other than the car clearly hadn’t been cleaned. They didn’t even try to sell us any extras at the desk - we were in and driving out with the car within 10mins.

Edited at 08:16 PM.
Ingram01 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 03:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Attitude23
Apprentice Imagineer

We’ve just picked up from Avis at Sapphire Falls and everything was great.
It was a prepaid reservation, arrived at 10am as booked, really friendly agent, took about 5mins and had the keys to the SUV as booked.
There was a decent amount of all car classes at this Avis section in the parking garage.
I was quite worried after reading the thread here but not sure if we just got lucky but thankfully no issues at all.
Attitude23 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 21, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ianmstewart
Gone all Goofy

Hi folks

Got an 'interesting' challenge with this. When I booked this BA deal for a pickup at Cabana Bay I didn't know that the Avis desk there was only open to 1600 - we land at 1655 so no way of making that! We travel this Monday (20th) so I called them today to give them a heads up we'd be late in but as we're staying in the hotel that night could pick up the car 1st thing in the morning. I was told that the price would have to be recalculated when we got there as it's a voucher and they couldn't guarantee the same price! They suggested I call BA to try get them to sort it. 2 hours and several escalations later BA have said they can do nothing for me other than try to rebook for an extra £2k! The only suggestion they had was for me to talk to the desk again and hope they will honour the price - apparently the UK Avis people told them that they would honour it if it were them but could not vouch for the US company.

Rank rotten customer service. I haven't been able to get back through to the desk at Cabana Bay so am taking to thedibb to see if anyone has experienced this before and has any advice for me? Starting to think it'll be uber & lyft for 2 weeks now. Don't want to spend another £1k on car hire
Any advice or help greatly received - was stressed enough with trying to dodge COVID before we go and now this

Edited at 08:01 PM.
ianmstewart is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 21, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto99
Very Serious Dibber

We picked our car up from hard rock yesterday had to wait 10 mins for the Avis guy to turn up booked a full size car and got a vw Tiguan with 21k on it
pluto99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 21, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ianmstewart View Post
Hi folks

Got an 'interesting' challenge with this. When I booked this BA deal for a pickup at Cabana Bay I didn't know that the Avis desk there was only open to 1600 - we land at 1655 so no way of making that! We travel this Monday (20th) so I called them today to give them a heads up we'd be late in but as we're staying in the hotel that night could pick up the car 1st thing in the morning. I was told that the price would have to be recalculated when we got there as it's a voucher and they couldn't guarantee the same price! They suggested I call BA to try get them to sort it. 2 hours and several escalations later BA have said they can do nothing for me other than try to rebook for an extra £2k! The only suggestion they had was for me to talk to the desk again and hope they will honour the price - apparently the UK Avis people told them that they would honour it if it were them but could not vouch for the US company.

Rank rotten customer service. I haven't been able to get back through to the desk at Cabana Bay so am taking to thedibb to see if anyone has experienced this before and has any advice for me? Starting to think it'll be uber & lyft for 2 weeks now. Don't want to spend another £1k on car hire
Any advice or help greatly received - was stressed enough with trying to dodge COVID before we go and now this
Be interesting to hear how this turned out?
Most Off airport locations have short opening hours (and lots close for lunch). If you put your pick up time in outside of their opening hours, the location shouldn’t come up as an option.

I would expect them to cancel the booking if you hadn’t turned up on the day you booked or insisting on a reprice in your situation of getting in contact first.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 21, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
ianmstewart
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by Softy View Post
Be interesting to hear how this turned out?
Most Off airport locations have short opening hours (and lots close for lunch). If you put your pick up time in outside of their opening hours, the location shouldn’t come up as an option.

I would expect them to cancel the booking if you hadn’t turned up on the day you booked or insisting on a reprice in your situation of getting in contact first.
Yes BA have screwed up here letting me book it, a bit fraudulent as if there is zero flexibility then I could never have used this booking. I will be complaining, though they probably don't care. Avis seems to be trying to sort it but have been waiting since 0800 for a car and nothing yet, so a bit worrying. At least they are trying though, not sure yet if they will hit me with a big bill if they do find me a car though! Very frustrating, could be Ubers after all...
ianmstewart is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 21, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
ianmstewart
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by ianmstewart View Post
Yes BA have screwed up here letting me book it, a bit fraudulent as if there is zero flexibility then I could never have used this booking. I will be complaining, though they probably don't care. Avis seems to be trying to sort it but have been waiting since 0800 for a car and nothing yet, so a bit worrying. At least they are trying though, not sure yet if they will hit me with a big bill if they do find me a car though! Very frustrating, could be Ubers after all...
Quick update. Avis sorted me out with no issues really apart from the poor lady had to find me a car so it took a couple.of hours but happy enough. Annoyed with BA really but will leave that for another day. 2 weeks to enjoy in orlando now! Just need this rain to go away!
Old 21 Dec 21, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

I've just collected our car from here too. No car seat despite it being pre paid on the reservation so now I'm having to wait for it. Car old and dirty, gonna drive straight to MCO to change it!