Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 24 Nov 21, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I always drive, we live about one and half to two hours from both Gatwick and Heathrow. We fly club, I don't drink alcohol, I sleep well on planes so am happy to drive. Hubby sleeps beside me.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I always drive the 2.5 hours home. I don't drink alcohol at all at the airport or on the flight, try and get a decent sleep on the plane and then grab a coffee before collecting the car. I prefer to travel from Heathrow as driving the extra distance from Gatwick is a bit tough, especially sitting in traffic.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by silverfox46 View Post
Not any more, last time I wrote my car off a couple of miles from home. Stopped for coffee and walk around half way, but nodded off even though music on , windows open etc. Soon woke up when I hit the barriers 😫😫
The train takes the strains these days
This happened to us too - it was the scariest moment of my life. DH was driving and I was supposed to stay awake, to keep him awake, we both failed and crikey me, it was so scary hitting the barrier with a bang.
It could have ended very badly for us but luckily it was just the car that was badly damaged.
So we are taking the train when we go this time.
My advice is to take the train or get a day room as it's not worth the risk.
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ansi41 View Post
This happened to us too - it was the scariest moment of my life. DH was driving and I was supposed to stay awake, to keep him awake, we both failed and crikey me, it was so scary hitting the barrier with a bang.
It could have ended very badly for us but luckily it was just the car that was badly damaged.
So we are taking the train when we go this time.
My advice is to take the train or get a day room as it's not worth the risk.
I agree, it’s funny how awake you suddenly become. I just can’t sleep properly on flight, it’s only cat naps. Glad you were ok, the barrier I hit had a couple of hundred feet underneath. To this day I still hate crossing over it.
As you say relax and catch the train
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We would get a day room

Have a sleep for a couple of hours, have a shower then set off home

Only once drove the four hours home and spent the whole journey eyes glued on DH convinced he was going to fall asleep……never again
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Please dont drive, get a room or hire someone to take you there n fetch you home on return, as we do. A little family near us drive home several Christmases ago after a long flight home, & were sadly involved in an accident, no other cars involved, & none of them survived
Old 24 Nov 21, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Reddevil99
Excited about Disney

I've driven home the last few trips around 1hr 40 mins from Gatwick but won't be doing it next year its just not safe. You feel the need to sleep the whole way.
Reddevil99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Never gain after a night flight- we did it once and it was scary tbh!
We factor in our return via taxi to the holiday cost. Our driver asks us where we want to stop when we get in, then we can just sleep or chill on way home.

Our next trip we might do a day flight back from NYC, then overnight at LHR and so may drive back from that one, but we would’ve had a full night sleep.
Old 24 Nov 21, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Yes, first time we went I drove. Acknfrom Gatwick to the midlands and will never do tgat again. Tired after no sleep in economy, everyone else sleeping in the car,
I believe I was dangerous, difficulties keeping my eyes open.
Since then we have flown business and I get sleep before driving home, but recently it’s been much nicer to take the train and Uber
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Jack&LucysMumy
Very Serious Dibber

Yes I drive home after a night flight we live about 90 mins from the airport so it’s easily done. However I have driven home from Glasgow a couple of times (4 hour drive) and I struggled. I had to pull over and swap with my husband half way.

Louise
Jack&LucysMumy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List