Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 26 Nov 21, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
Agree, there have been some shocking companies through this pandemic
I’m actually helping a friend who booked Morocco through tui
She’s due to go in one week! But Morocco aren’t currently allowing flights from the U.K. in
Tui keep stating they don’t know as flights are still due to go
She can’t organise anything else so is in limbo
They did this to us when the aircraft was blown up out of Sharm and over the Sinai, just a month before we were due to visit.

All flights were thus suspended and with not the remotest chance of starting again for many months. They would not accept this, would not refund until our a departure date was passed and in the end, we paid to reschedule to Sorrento instead. 3 years later, they still were not flying to Sharm.. Quelle surprise and a surprise to absolutely nobody at all! Bunch of liars and cheats.

It was the best thing we ever did and the Amalfi/Sorrento area the best we have yet visited. That was the very last time we ever entrusted our money to a travel agent or company. We had only gone to TUI because the location was unfamiliar and in any case, tends to work better as a package. We will never use them again.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:51 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
They did this to us when the aircraft was blown up out of Sharm and over the Sinai, just a month before we were due to visit.

All flights were thus suspended and with not the remotest chance of starting again for many months. They would not accept this, would not refund until our a departure date was passed and in the end, we paid to reschedule to Sorrento instead. 3 years later, they still were not flying to Sharm.. Quelle surprise and a surprise to absolutely nobody at all! Bunch of liars and cheats.

It was the best thing we ever did and the Amalfi/Sorrento area the best we have yet visited. That was the very last time we ever entrusted our money to a travel agent or company. We had only gone to TUI because the location was unfamiliar and in any case, tends to work better as a package. We will never use them again.
My friends husband is going into the store tomorrow
He won’t get anywhere with it as I know how these things work

I think a good independent travel agent with experience and flight knowledge is what I am defending
Not some of these large corporations with high street shops
Old 26 Nov 21, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I think a good independent travel agent with experience and flight knowledge is what I am defending
Regrettably the TUI store in Falmouth is now closed. Whilst I actually liked the staff and am saddened that they lost their jobs, the company clearly failed me, didn’t care and will never see my money again. (Neither will Virgin, having read of the experiences of other DIBBERS in the 6 months after March 2020). Fortunately, the routes west that I am likely to take are serviced by BA, AA, Delta and United, all involved in my cancellations of Longhauls and Internals and all of whom behaved impeccably.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:07 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I think travellers can be too prescriptive about what they will and won't do as far as booking and planning.

I would not use planner for the US, we did use Audley travel for our first trips to Australia and again for New Zealand. They did a fantastic job for us but we didn't ask for an economy trip and they made some fantastic bookings for us that we would not have choosen or even known about.

There is room for both independent travel and help from planners IMO.

Edited at 08:47 PM.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

We've booked separately and packages and lost money on the separates during COVID in 2020.

VH package to Thailand fully refunded, took longer than it should but we were flying 4th April and they really didn't know what was happening (with the rest of us). We didn't lose a penny.

We had separates for Spain last August. Ryan Air were flying empty planes rather than refund. So 4 out of 5 travelled or lose £2000+ One lost money. The hotel initially offered us credit notes but as 4 out of 5 of us travelled they refunded my mum's room.
My insurance wouldn't cover pandemics. Mum's insurance would potentially cover lost flight but excess meant it wasn't worth it.

Next year I've booked with an independent Travel Counsellor. Martin Lewis really rate them (as do Dibbers), think they were top for refunds and sorting issues throughout the pandemic. We're putting our trust in someone with good recommendations for an unusual holiday to the Maldives

I agree a simple, familiar holiday can be easy direct but often an agent can get you a better deal. I've certainly got a significantly better price and time will tell if its the right decision if anything goes wrong.

There's no right or wrong but Covid has told us to book on a credit card and be selective who you book with.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I like a package for the easiness. I particularly like having flights sorted when you book not having to wait until 11 months before. We have kids and are always restricted with dates in school holidays- we previously got prices which when you looked at flight prices got you a direct flight at a reasonable price. However we now know those flights aren’t guaranteed and depend on the airline allocating them to the company. The issue is the company don’t make this clear it’s buried in the small print and often mis-sold. Telling me direct to indirect isn’t a major change and I can’t get a refund. I’m sure this isn’t true of all agents but a lot of the company’s I’ve seen mentioned here selling Florida are all v similar.
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
We've booked separately and packages and lost money on the separates during COVID in 2020.

VH package to Thailand fully refunded, took longer than it should but we were flying 4th April and they really didn't know what was happening (with the rest of us). We didn't lose a penny.

We had separates for Spain last August. Ryan Air were flying empty planes rather than refund. So 4 out of 5 travelled or lose £2000+ One lost money. The hotel initially offered us credit notes but as 4 out of 5 of us travelled they refunded my mum's room.
My insurance wouldn't cover pandemics. Mum's insurance would potentially cover lost flight but excess meant it wasn't worth it.

Next year I've booked with an independent Travel Counsellor. Martin Lewis really rate them (as do Dibbers), think they were top for refunds and sorting issues throughout the pandemic. We're putting our trust in someone with good recommendations for an unusual holiday to the Maldives

I agree a simple, familiar holiday can be easy direct but often an agent can get you a better deal. I've certainly got a significantly better price and time will tell if its the right decision if anything goes wrong.

There's no right or wrong but Covid has told us to book on a credit card and be selective who you book with.
I’m a travel counsellor and we won many awards through the pandemic
We have been told not to use Ryanair unless absolutely necessary!
Old 28 Nov 21, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I have never used an agent with two exceptions I occasionally use BA Holidays (at my peril) if they are cheaper than getting the car and the flight separately and if I can (if possible) get a AA code share. I understand I will not have the same level of control as booking all direct.

I use a travel counsellor if he can beat my price this is a personal service from an individual whom I have a direct number where I can contact him 247.(I posted this before reading the above post)

I would never ever use a big independent travel agency you are adding another possible breaking point for absolutely no benefit, there is 100x time the information and knowledge that any of these have on this board.

I do not understand why people “book” flights more than 11 months out these flights in many cases have not even been approved or scheduled by the airline. Would you buy a new build before planning has been approved ?
Virgin may decide not to fly out of Manchester for example and then there is nothing that the agent can do but no doubt there T’s and C’s get them out of this along with every other possible outcome that does not suit them. You have not booked a flight you have booked the word of a travel agent saying that they may or possibly will get you on a flight that may suit you at a price that is most likely more expensive than you can get it for at a later date and in any event if it goes up there T’s and C’s will ensure you pay the extra.

I am assuming that at some point the OP has agreed to the T’s and C’s that say an indirect flight is not a material change and if they have then sadly they don’t have a leg to stand on.

I consider an indirect flight a major change but personally that does not bother me at all.

Edited at 09:52 AM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 22, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DDD
Apprentice Imagineer

DDD's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
6 months to sort and still not happy!

Just thought I’d update as I really appreciated it when folks replied.
Despite my complaints there has not been a resolution that I am happy with. We have indirect flights going via New York with delta and direct virgin flights. It’s in there terms and conditions that they can make a ‘minor’ change which includes going from direct to indirect.

I’m not happy and I feel conned but it is what it is and at least we are going. I looked at cancelling and rebooking but the prices can’t get anywhere near it and it would just cost more. I won’t book with them again. They’re not bothered I’m sure.

Just focusing on that we will be in our happy place in the summer.
Ddd
DDD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 22, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DDD View Post
Just thought I’d update as I really appreciated it when folks replied.
Despite my complaints there has not been a resolution that I am happy with. We have indirect flights going via New York with delta and direct virgin flights. It’s in there terms and conditions that they can make a ‘minor’ change which includes going from direct to indirect.

I’m not happy and I feel conned but it is what it is and at least we are going. I looked at cancelling and rebooking but the prices can’t get anywhere near it and it would just cost more. I won’t book with them again. They’re not bothered I’m sure.

Just focusing on that we will be in our happy place in the summer.
Ddd
That's shocking! A minor change isn't changing flights to indirect.
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List