Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 25 Nov 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I’m from Ossett, ( I don’t like to say Wakey, not least because of that MP) but yes we called them Wessel cups always.
Well, that's three of us
Old 25 Nov 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Well, that's three of us
I just asked Mrs YT and she said of course, everyone knows the term. Her mother is from Leeds and they call them wessel cups. I said according to Dibb, it’s quite a local phrase !
Old 25 Nov 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Apparently after you went wassaling, you drank from cups then hung them on the tree.

en.m.wikipedia/wiki/Wassailing
Old 25 Nov 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I’m in Halifax and never heard that phrase. ☺️
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
janeywaney
VIP Dibber

janeywaney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

I’m in South Yorkshire and my grandma used to call them Wassalling balls not cups. She used to say be careful unwrapping the wassalling they are very delicate!

Jane
August 06 All Star Sports, August 07 All Star Music, OKW August 08 OKW Nov 09 All Star Music Feb 10, OKW Sept 10 OKW Sept 2011 , OKW Nov 2013, Pop Cenury Sept 2014, OKW Sept 2015, OKW Nov 16, OKW Sept 17, OKW Aug 19
janeywaney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
scruffycharlie
Apprentice Imagineer

My husband is from Hemsworth and he says he used to call them that.
scruffycharlie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

I'm from Brighouse and I can honestly say I have never heard of it!
Old 27 Nov 19, 01:18 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

This is an interesting thread. It shows how a very old winter tradition, which actually seems to have been practised a lot in the SW, has been adopted into local language in a small geographical area of Yorkshire. This area seems to span from maybe just a bit into South Yorkshire but in a weaker form there, and be concentrated around the Wakefield area in West Yorkshire where ‘Wessel Cups’ will be understood by most people of a certain age (think the phrase is getting lost on younger generations). I also think it gets into Leeds.
It is strange isn’t it, local dialect.
Old 27 Nov 19, 04:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Wasaling was a Tudor tradition celebrating the harvest and the onset of winter often the previous years cider etc were drunk and the cups and as a toast to a good harvest the next year hung from evergreens brought into the house at christmas time and the Winter solacace or the bows of the cider apple trees
Before a Prince Albert Queen Victoria's husband brought in Christmas Trees from Germany
Washaling continued for many years though and you can still buy wasal spice for cider or wine on line actually tastes much better than mulled wine or just drink added to hot water think herbal tea

Edited at 05:06 AM.
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 19, 05:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Oh and if any body's interested I've a modern day recipient for wasal punch
Cider Morgan's spiced rum etc always goes down well especially when hot round our fire pit
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List